Archer: Jerry said, "you'll know it when you see it" regarding potential change to Romo

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
Todd Archer reporting ..

On 105.3 The Fan in Dallas Tuesday, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said "you'll know it when you see it," when talking about a potential change from Dak Prescott to Tony Romo down the stretch but he did not have a definitive scenario in which a move would be made.
Aren't we 11-2? Dak has had 2 real bad games, Vikings and Giants. Prior to both games, if I am not mistaken, JJ has made comments about Romo getting playing time. How about JJ stay off the radio and enjoy our current situation. No way this kid can ignore that stuff and not look over his shoulder.

Last edited:

punchnjudy

Reaction score
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...wboys-know-time-tony-romo-definition-know-see

"I really don't want to get into the scenario, it goes too far in talking about what we don't want to talk about," Jones said. "Given the need for [Romo], we want him ready on the spur of the moment to be a part of any effort we make -- to be trite -- to win the ball game.

"It would be when we all probably thought it was time for him to come in and play. I don't want to give you those circumstances because I don't like either one of the discussions."

Animosity

Reaction score
No, but you have a guy who led the league in 2014, with his best ever statistical season. But please continue tearing Romo apart in order to deflect from a hideous performance on the part of the rookie Prescott.
yeah, lets forget 2015. not like the last time he played in a regular season game, he threw 3 picks, 2 of which were returned for TDs... 2015.. didnt happened. Just skipped to 2016. Yeah, exactly what happened.

Romotil45

Reaction score
I don't think so. You don't pull a guy during a game for a lot of reasons:

Romo wouldn't have had starter snaps to prepare, and giving him those snaps before this game would be screwing Dak over. You can't e expect the guy to perform better if you are taking away his preparation time and giving it to someone else.

Dak deserves the entire game any time he starts. It's no fair to anyone if he's looking over his shoulder after every pass to see if Romo is warming up. We don't need him pressing and tight.

Dak has come on at the end of games before after a slow start. Pulling him after a few series, even if they are horrible, would be like pulling Romo at halftime in Buffalo in 07. You give the guy a chance to make some magic, he's earned it.

Pulling him in a game would be a panic move, and coaches don't ever want to look panicked. If there is a change it should be done professionally.

Romo has been taking some first team reps in practice every week since his return. They have been slowly increasing those 1st team reps every week. Dak can hear Romos legacy and he knows a vanilla game plan when he sees it. And Zeke coming off the field on third down ? He's not stupid he knows what's coming. Too bad, all they had to do was ask him to sit. Daks not as fragile as many are lead to believe. Too bad the coaching staff feels like they are backed into a corner and must throw Dak under the bus. You could blame the media. But the truth is it all fails squarely on Garrett.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Seattle's qb situation is completely different. IOW, Wilson does not have a guy who led the league in passer rating just two years ago sitting next to him on the bench. IOW, they have no other options, especially given the money they have invested in him. The same for Manning...and many on Giants message boards are ready to be done with him...to move on. There is as much hate for Manning as there is for Romo...probably more.

It's like a Civil War...

11-2

erod

Reaction score
You really think dak would not compete in the playoffs?

Not well, no.

He's just not ready. His poise and physical ability is working because he has the best supporting cast on offense in the NFL. But he's still playing like he did in college for the most part.

He needs time to learn. Just like Romo did, Rodgers, Brady, etc. He'll be elite one day, I believe. But that's 3-4 years away at least. He's totally lost right now because the league has figured him and this offense out. It needs Romo at the line of scrimmage to beat these fronts.

kramskoi

Reaction score
That depends. Is it just Dak, or the entire offense (minus Zeke) like the last two weeks? I find if interesting that Dak is getting thrown under the bus when the entire offense, including the oline has been off the last two weeks, coupled with some of the worst play calling I can remember.
If Prescott flounders another two games, which I think won't be the case, you have a real crisis on your hands heading back to the NE corridor where cold, miserable conditions could yet again cause you some heartache against a tough defense.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Many of us believe Romo should have been playing long before now actually. Besides, this is 3 straight games now for Dak under 200 yards passing, 3TD's in 3 weeks. We've been lucky and winning IN SPITE of Dak. It doesn't matter what Romo has or hasn't won, there is just no argument to be made on who the better QB is at this point.

I'm pretty sure everyone knew that veteran Romo is a better QB than rookie Dak. You just don't yank a QB on an amazing winning streak. If Dak continues to show rookie flashes in the remainder of the regular season and Dallas suffers from it, then disrupting the continuity of the win streak is no longer a problem and a switch is probably in the best interest for the team. The amount of hand-wringing about all of this is astounding.

Parche

Reaction score
well we didn't have a choice. romo got hurt and dak came in. dak *had* to learn on the field and he's done remarkably well. he was/is up for league MVP and i don't know if romo ever got that honor.

we named him the starter. going back and forth makes us look like we're in a panic. ok for fans i suppose but looks bad if the team bails on someone who overall still has a 102 qb rating.

We didnt have the choice by the time Tony got hurt. When he was ok to go, yeah, we had the choice. Im ok with Dak, but then again, I would have gone with Tony back then.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
as if romo is going to play like tom brady in these elimination games when hes failed to do so for 10 years. laughable

Tony Romo Playoff Game QB Ratings
2006 - 89.6
2007 - 64.7
2009 - 104.9
2009 - 66.1
2014 - 114.0
2014 - 143.6

If you cant win on 100+ QB ratings, then the problem isnt the QB its the team.

Teams win. QB's dont.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No it is putting one player above the team. They have a chance to win a championship this year. I don't want Dak pulled right now but if his play is causing he season to slip away how can you keep starting him with a QB like Romo on the bench?

You mean only Dak wasn't blocking those blitzing Giants?

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
what agenda? i'm doing math here. he won 11 games in a row. that alone is a bigger trend of his capabilities than the last 2 or 3 games isn't it? to ONLY take those specific games - to me - is the pure definition of agendas.

"i don't like all the data so i'll use the data i want for my purposes"

agenda.

now - how many times has romo "choked" in the big games? can we count those too? how many games has he even PLAYED in the last 2 years? can we look at that?

sigh.

Simple data...That is your problem... Again your head is in the sand... This is the time of year when these games become tougher, and the last 3 games have not been good with Tampa coming on Sunday. I guess losing these games at this time of year is ok with you as long as Dak stays in. Screw HFA, hell give the giants the division with 3 games left. No problem.... Head in Sand

DTown214

Reaction score
I think Jerry forgets what he says the day before every time he opens his mouth

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Romo has been taking some first team reps in practice every week since his return. They have been slowly increasing those 1st team reps every week. Dak can hear Romos legacy and he knows a vanilla game plan when he sees it. And Zeke coming off the field on third down ? He's not stupid he knows what's coming. Too bad, all they had to do was ask him to sit. Daks not as fragile as many are lead to believe. Too bad the coaching staff feels like they are backed into a corner and must throw Dak under the bus. You could blame the media. But the truth is it all fails squarely on Garrett.

making stuff up now? Romo is not getting his 1st team reps increased and frankly I don't remember him getting first team reps at all.

Jerry talking on the radio is bad for everything when it comes to the cowboys and always has been. Not a single good thing comes from it.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Simple data...That is your problem... Again your head is in the sand... This is the time of year when these games become tougher, and the last 3 games have not been good with Tampa coming on Sunday. I guess losing these games at this time of year is ok with you as long as Dak stays in. Screw HFA, hell give the giants the division with 3 games left. No problem.... Head in Sand
heh - we disagree so *my* head is in the sand.

so you now run to vast stupidity and saying i'm ok with losing 3 games cause i don't agree with you. isn't that a tad drastic?
giving the giants everything after going 11-2 cause we again, disagree. not a tad...drastic?

if my head is in the sand, you're just being butt-nugget stupid for the sake of carrying romo's jock around.

now, wish to talk about it or get mad and insult each other?

Stryker44

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is now realizing how much this really is Romo's team now.

He has been broken. Mind, body, and soul.

Gameover

Reaction score
Jerry had too many JW Blues last night watching Tom Brady do his stuff and had visions of Tony doing the same. That's all. Notice he didnt commit to anything when asked the question. I agee with @theebs, he just looking for attention.
He needs to go back and watch the tape of Dak vs that defense Brady played last night.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I disagree with that mindset. I think I would be more concerned about us winning a SB this year then romos cap hit and his trade value.
Do you honestly think if Tony even looks mediocre, that he's going anywhere anymore?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
We didnt have the choice by the time Tony got hurt. When he was ok to go, yeah, we had the choice. Im ok with Dak, but then again, I would have gone with Tony back then.
and at that time dak was doing MVP type work and you simply don't pull away from that.

if he just flat falls on his face in tampa then i can see romo needing to come in. right now i just don't see it. i see the usual chicken littles running around demanding their way is correct cause it has the pure benefit of being their way.