News: Are people sleeping on the 2019 Dallas Cowboys?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
lets all just stay in our lanes, everyone who has their glasses, 60 and 0 with another SB trophy. its in the bag.

negative nancys, 0-16, play the field, Garrett doesnt like success.

the realists, same thing as last year, let it play out, dont bet on the SB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, on my Dallas Cowboy sheets, and on my Dallas Cowboy pillow cases, and under my Dallas Cowboy comforter, and in my Dallas Cowboy footie pajamas.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It’s not ridiculous at all when you consider how close we were to having another non playoff season last year before the trade with Cooper. And let’s not forget we didn’t have a 1st place schedule last year either.

Last two seasons we had 9 and 10 win seasons so it seems fairly reasonable to place our over/under at about 8 1/2- 9 wins.

We were fortunate last year we faced the Egirls while they were struggling sweeping that series. I wouldn’t have wanted to face them in the playoffs.

I think the analyst and handicappers are spot on picking us about 4-7th in the conference. That places Rams, Saints, Bears at least in front of us which few but some Cowboy Homers would argue. And most are picking Eagles to win division which could knock us down another notch or two. That’s before we see what Packers, Vikings, Seahawks, Falcons and Panthers( all recent playoff contenders) are this year.

That said , I think we are a solid playoff contender and could fall anywhere in that 4th-7th range. And that’s assuming our divisional foes haven’t improved themselves enough to prevent us from sweeping them this year.

My biggest concern is our schedule. If the North has improved with Packers and or Vikings those could be huge games in any tiebreaker decisions for Wildcards. And having to play Rams, Saints and Bears all teams picked ahead of us presents challenges that only a 1st place schedule provides. That doesn’t take into account the AFC East going to Foxborough and if any of those teams are improved.

I do think our schedule is more favorable early and if we can get off to a fast start might carry us thru the tougher stretches. But my expectations are limited. I think we’ll be competitive and fighting for at least a Wildcard and in the division race until the end unless a key injury or suspension derails us.

My bigger concerns going in are DL. How will Lawrence be recovering from surgery and be at full speed. Will the loss of Gregory and Irving impact . And if we have lost some pressure from DL the effects overall on our defense. Have we done enough to shore up the middle of our DL and Safety?

And will Frederick return to his Pro Bowl stature along with Smith and Martin being 100% after nursing injuries last year. Will Witten bring back some production to TE? Will Moore make an impact with play calling? Can we become more effective in Redzone and scoring? Too many questions for me to be declaring this team will be more than a top 4 team in conference until I see more.

Here are the questions as to the defensive line/tackles...

Maliek Collins is entering the final year of his rookie deal, and the drafting of Trysten Hill suggests that he probably doesn't return in 2020. Dallas can save about $2 million by trading or releasing Maliek this year.

Dallas brought back Daniel Ross because it was easy; an Exclusive Rights Free Agent with a minimal contract. That said, he has flashed some ability and is more than just a camp body. The only locks are the rookie Hill and Antwaun Woods, who was looking like the team's best DT by the end of last season. The rest of the depth chart will be some combination of Collins, Covington, Crawford, or Ross, and that's if undrafted rookie Daniel Wise doesn't also push for a roster spot.

It'd be easy dismiss Covington given his minor contract and lack of time in the system. But Dallas signed him for a reason, and they made it their very first move when free agency began. If I had to put money on who does and doesn't make the team in 2019, I'd bet on Christian Covington before Maliek Collins or Tyrone Crawford. All three could make it, but I'm less confident in the other two...

https://insidethestar.com/how-does-dt-christian-covington-factor-in-cowboys-2019-plans/

condoin125

Reaction score
Not at all, the offense still won't be good enough with Captain Mediocre at QB and our defense will take a step back from last year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We stay healthy and we are back in the playoffs. After that coaching comes into play. We all know what happens then. If our OC can mix it up and we don’t need to make HC type game decisions and time management isn’t needed then we are ok..

InTheZone

Reaction score
No one knows if Kellen Moore has anything.
And no one knows if Kellen Moore is being limited by players or coaches. I guarantee everyone that disliked Linehan is ready to blame Moore before they even consider blaming a key player.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They could be but, thankfully, they will play the games despite the odds made in Vegas. Where did they have the Cowboys last year at this time? And 2017 and 2016?

Quite a few unknowns with this season beginning with whether that's really as tough a schedule as some make it out to be. The only sure thing is that it will not be as they project. Got a new OC and a HC in a contract year. And this OC is still wet behind the ears facing off against some of the best DC's in the game.

I look at this team and ask myself one question. Do I believe they improved, stayed the same or declined with the roster and coaching staff? I say improved on the roster and unknown on the coaching staff. But this is as much about asking that same question of the other NFC teams. The Cowboys could have improved and still win only 8 or 9 games.

I stopped caring about prognosticators a while back. Right after I got it wrong so many times. If I were still a betting man, I would have done really well betting against what I thought. Any given Sunday, truer words were never spoken.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Are people sleeping on the 2019 Dallas Cowboys?
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/22/sleeping-2019-dallas-cowboys/

...the Cowboys are predicted to be win 8.4 games in 2019. This is ridiculous because ever since 2016, when the team drafted quarterback Dak Prescott and running back Ezekiel Elliott, they have stayed above .500.

Even in the worst of the three years, they managed to win nine games. The Cowboys should at the very least be in the top 10. With the additions of former Pro Bowlers Robert Quinn (defensive end) and Randall Cobb (wide receiver), both the defense and offense have added a little spark.

Also, All-Pro Center Travis Frederick will be back on the offensive line to shore up some blocking problems. In no way have the Cowboys gotten any worse. At the very least they will be incrementally better than the 2018 season.

Another underrated advantage the Cowboys will have this season is a full offseason working with wide receiver Amari Cooper. Cooper was sensational last year recording 896 yards in total games (including postseason). Now, Cooper has had the whole offseason and will spend all of training camp with Prescott...
Yes sir they are sir Bob.
I remember a very special time back in the early 90's when we were building, and then finally put it together.
This is a different time and era, have to deal with much more complexity, cap, contracts(early),FA,, much more complex now, Jimmy would even have a hard time now.
But I really believe that this years team has far less holes than anytime in the past 20 years.
Good job by the front office the past few seasons really looking closely at contracts, dead money, and having the cap and talent in place to compete for another ring.
This Cowboys team 2019, is as close as any other contenders.
All teams in the league have their strengths and their weakness, I just feel that we are on that curve were the cap finally meets the level of talent.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes sir they are sir Bob.
I remember a very special time back in the early 90's when we were building, and then finally put it together.
This is a different time and era, have to deal with much more complexity, cap, contracts(early),FA,, much more complex now, Jimmy would even have a hard time now.
But I really believe that this years team has far less holes than anytime in the past 20 years.
Good job by the front office the past few seasons really looking closely at contracts, dead money, and having the cap and talent in place to compete for another ring.
This Cowboys team 2019, is as close as any other contenders.
All teams in the league have their strengths and their weakness, I just feel that we are on that curve were the cap meets the talent level.

Hey, Golden...

I just hope that injuries and the coaching staff allow for the new season to start off very strongly...and know I'll eagerly be watching.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Here are the questions as to the defensive line/tackles...

Maliek Collins is entering the final year of his rookie deal, and the drafting of Trysten Hill suggests that he probably doesn't return in 2020. Dallas can save about $2 million by trading or releasing Maliek this year.

Dallas brought back Daniel Ross because it was easy; an Exclusive Rights Free Agent with a minimal contract. That said, he has flashed some ability and is more than just a camp body. The only locks are the rookie Hill and Antwaun Woods, who was looking like the team's best DT by the end of last season. The rest of the depth chart will be some combination of Collins, Covington, Crawford, or Ross, and that's if undrafted rookie Daniel Wise doesn't also push for a roster spot.

It'd be easy dismiss Covington given his minor contract and lack of time in the system. But Dallas signed him for a reason, and they made it their very first move when free agency began. If I had to put money on who does and doesn't make the team in 2019, I'd bet on Christian Covington before Maliek Collins or Tyrone Crawford. All three could make it, but I'm less confident in the other two...

https://insidethestar.com/how-does-dt-christian-covington-factor-in-cowboys-2019-plans/
It wouldn't shock me. Covington should spell Woods and factor heavily in the rotation as a 1-tech.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Hey, Golden...

I just hope that injuries and the coaching staff allow for the new season to start off very strongly...and know I'll eagerly be watching.
Decent Schedule, only two road games back to back, familiar system with most players already understanding the book,, we believe in resigning our own,
there is a reason,, come ready to play, and if you cant then we will pay... for someone that will.
I get that philosophy, and actually appreciate it.
The Dallas Cowboys find value in restructures that most other teams do not, and that is familiarity in an established system, it does hold a certain value in a league where a top FA signing is just starting to learn his new teams playbook and feel comfortable, and then......…….. his contract is already up.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The question marks that need to be answered are:
1. Dak Prescott
2. Jason Garrett
3. Kellen Moore

Answer two of those three positively and the Cowboys are a double-digit winning team. But I can see why prognosticators are leery and think the Cowboys top out at 8 wins.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Decent Schedule, only two road games back to back, familiar system with most players already understanding the book,, we believe in resigning our own,
there is a reason,, come ready to play, and if you cant then we will pay... for someone that will.
I get that philosophy, and actually appreciate it.
The Dallas Cowboys find value in restructures that most other teams do not, and that is familiarity in an established system, it does hold a certain value in a league where a top FA signing is just starting to learn his new teams playbook and feel comfortable, and then......…….. his contract is already up.

Said well, my friend...and I remain a team fan.:starspin:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of all the pro sports in US, NFL seasons are the hardest to predict. Two predictions I will make:

1. There will be surprises...teams and players that both over and underperform.
2. Looking at a team’s schedule in May and making confident predictions is a dice roll at best. I believe there is no such thing as an “easy NFL schedule”. Predicting each game’s outcome and each team’s record now is fun but hardly very realistic.
My only guaranteed predictions are that this season will be fun and interesting. Think of all the questions that should be answered by the end of this season. Will Garrett earn an extension? Dak’s contract status? Will Kellen Moore be an upgrade at OC? And many more great questions.

IMO, right now the questions far outnumber the answers, and that’s fine with me.