Are The Cowboys Putting Too Much Faith in Witten?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn't draft a TE, so can the Ole War Horse still cut it?
I think Witten left because he didn't like our old OC. I think he's back because he's excited about Moore. Moore will add one more yard to Witts routes and we will move the chains!!!! Genius!! Lol

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
The cheap-spirits queen's objections aside, it's not a bad thing to have a first-ballot HOF player on the roster - if someone can take the job from him then so be it. There's a whole bunch of suck out there in regards to FA TEs, and I'm certain the FO didn't pass on the position in the draft just because of Witten. 40-year-old Witten>Swaim, so no big deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
The cheap-spirits queen's objections aside, it's not a bad thing to have a first-ballot HOF player on the roster - if someone can take the job from him then so be it. There's a whole bunch of suck out there in regards to FA TEs, and I'm certain the FO didn't pass on the position in the draft just because of Witten. 40-year-old Witten>Swaim, so no big deal.

There's the problem.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten can give you 5 yards when you need 10 all day long. He might be an acceptable role player at this point but that's his absolute limit. He's simply too old and too slow.

Like Walt Garrison said. If you need 3 yards, I will get you 3 yards. If you need 5 yards, I will get you 3 yards. :laugh:

It depends upon Moore and how he wants to use Witten, and how often. And Witten needs to buy into that. I don't see him as a selfish player, though it was reported he did not want to come off the field. True or not, Witten has always been the ultimate team mate and player.

I still am not sure how I feel about him returning. Will just have to wait and see how it all works out.

Falco78

Reaction score
One of my old time favorites, but we should not have brought him back

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn't draft a TE, so can the Ole War Horse still cut it?

Jarwin, and to a lesser degree, Schultz, came on strong when the team started targeting them the las 4-5 games of the season, so Witten is not the only hope, and there is potential for growth from those guys. I imagine Witten is there to add a veteran prosense while we see how much Jarwin and Schultz can develop.

Silly

Reaction score
Lets wait and see what Moore can with the offense. It would be wonderful if witten could play another productive 2 seasons.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
to old to slow should of not been brought back he is like larry allen jr its a favor from the cowboys org to a player

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Witten can give you 5 yards when you need 10 all day long. He might be an acceptable role player at this point but that's his absolute limit. He's simply too old and too slow.
It also seemed like his penalty count was increasing by holding or jumping offsides to gain an edge in compensating for his age. He was a great TE but age has obviously caught up to him.

KDM256

Reaction score
No problem with Witten coming back. Sure I would love to see Dallas get younger at the TE position and utilize the middle of the field as a result. But I also missed how well Witten help "open up" the running game with his blocking/seals off tackle. It was almost like a 6 lineman out there at times.

Jarwin & Shultz (who we drafted last year) If none of these guys can show any promise this upcoming year and get out-worked by a slow Witten, then this organization will need to cut bait and draft a better replacement until we get it right.

sandbridge77

Reaction score
Think the Cowboys missed the boat at tight end. A more athletic guy that could put some pressure on a defense would create some space for that good group of wr you have

GenoT

Reaction score
Honestly?

It's probably way closer than you want to admit. Let's not undersell or even forget that Witten hasn't played in a NFL game for a year. He's no spring chicken. His skills had clearly declined even before he retired.
Remains to be seen.

Sydla

Reaction score
Remains to be seen.

What remains to be seen? Witten showed serious decline the last few years. His blocking got worse and he basically became a catch and fall TE. When camp starts in April, he will not have seen a NFL snap for 19 months. You'd be hard pressed to conclude that he'll come back and be really, really effective.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Jarwin, and to a lesser degree, Schultz, came on strong when the team started targeting them the las 4-5 games of the season, so Witten is not the only hope, and there is potential for growth from those guys. I imagine Witten is there to add a veteran prosense while we see how much Jarwin and Schultz can develop.

Those three TDs made against the Giants late last season Witten simply doesn’t make.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those three TDs made against the Giants late last season Witten simply doesn’t make.

They were athletic plays - jumping, reaching behind. I don't think Jarwin is where he ideally would be as a blocker, and he probably will never be as steady (who is .. or was?), but he seems to have good hands and he is much more athletic than TE's we've had in the past.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think the team is putting faith in the TE group not just JW. He's not the same player and this should be a committee approach.