Are the Cowboys really that far away

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking about the Cowboys player personnel needs, and what has been posted on this site about those needs, and given that almost everyone has the same list, although not always in the same order, and given that it really boils down to about 3-4 important needs, I have to wonder if the Cowboys are really that far away from being the team we hope to see.

Let's not talk about Dak, because we won't draft a QB with a top pick, or Jerry and Jason who also won't be replaced for 2019. I know ... these are key roles, but for this thread let's talk about what is possible to address. If the mantra is only that the Cowboys have to suck with those guys, there are plenty of other threads to post that in.

It seems to me that the focus for most posters is solidly on 4 positions - S, DT, WR & TE, so, with so few major needs, I can't help but think the Cowboys have a realistic chance to address all of them.

SAFETY: If, as many think, ET is a target, signing him would address safety and take out one of the major needs.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: Obviously not having a 1st rounder hurts the chances to find a strong one, so that could be the biggest impediment. Still, we could go heavy at DT in the draft to improve the odds, or maybe trade up. And who knows, there is at least an outside chance Irving could get his stuff together - don't jump on that though because I do not advocate treating the offseason as if that will happen, and in fact, I believe we should treat it as if it won't, and it will be bonus if we are wrong.

WIDE RECEIVER: The chances are improved by the fact we don't need a #1 because of the Cooper trade, and many, including myself, think Gallup will be a quality #2 with a year of experience under his belt. We are also helped by the fact Cooper can move into the slot whenever needed, so that gives us versatility and allows us to look for the best receiver rather than a specific type of receiver. We also may already have a strong candidate in house to step up in Cedrick Wilson, who the Cowboys liked as a rookie last year before he got hurt in training camp. Of course, Adam Humphries is a free agent, and many think he would be ideal to replace Beasley, but the general feeling is the Cowboys won't be willing to pay what it will take to get him. Golden Tate would also fall in that category. But there should be a lot of #3 receiver options in the draft, plus there are several proven free agents that might cost a little but not break the bank. On the small side, Jon Brown, Jamison Crowder and Kendall Wright, but with the flexibility we have with Cooper we could go for a bigger, stronger receiver like Donte Moncrief.

TIGHT END: My personal belief that I know some will disagree with is TE is not a position we need to stretch for because once the Cowboys started targeting Jarwin and Schultz late in the season we saw notable results. They won't make the position elite, but I don't think elite is necessary to make the team strong. If someone we like falls to the middle rounds, or we want to take a shot on a reasonably priced veteran like Eifert, who has talent but is often injured, that would be reasonable, but there are other areas I believe are much more important to address. Plus, if we can fill the #3 WR spot capably that minimizes the need for a top receiver at TE.

Obviously there are other areas that could stand to be upgraded (O-Line depth), but the above seem to be the biggies.

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
Yes.

I think they're a good team, but not in the mix for a championship.

Too limited on offense, and not as good on defense as we'd like to think.

Still a good team, especially with the right 2-3 free agent acquisitions, but not built to beat elite teams in crunch time.

Next year's schedule is tough, and could very well expose that.

Sydla

Reaction score
DE. But I am obsessed with DE.

Right now, with Lawrence, they were still an average pass rush team. They ranked middle of the pack in sacks and pressures and even with advanced stats like Football Outsiders, we were a mediocre to poor pass rushing team.

The inability to get to the QB consistently is a flaw of this defense and will hold them back from being an elite D IMO. I don't know if possible, but I'd love to bring Lawrence back and add another stud DE. I am big Gregory guy but I am not sure he's ready to be that dominant guy.

Maybe we can remedy that with some scheme tweaks, using Smith and LVE to blitz more, but I think we are what we are scheme wise.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Yes.

Still a good team, especially with the right 2-3 free agent acquisitions, but not built to beat elite teams in crunch time.

I agree with you, but I also feel like the team, in it's current form (we like our guys) will see its window close within 2-3 years. Now is the time to leverage our favorable cap leverage and strike toward a championship. The offense needs some value depth on the OL and one more weapon either to attack the seam or act as a possession safety net for Dak, and the defense needs some meat in the seam (speed is the assett but we need at least one 2-gap player). Add a playmaker in the secondary and you have a shot.

The fear is that you may not succeed - you may make all those moves and either next year's schedule is too brutal, you have injuries or whatever, and then you are in real trouble because you've invested for now and HAVE to make a coaching chance (there is no way Garrett survives not making the NFC-CG). But screw it, now's the time try.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
I think signing ET will really shore up that backend. Then use the draft to fill in depth. I would get Tank signed because I’m not sure he’ll play under the tag again.

I think we have a good chance if Moore can open up this offense and use Dak to his strengths. This is the most important part IMO and at this point is a big unknown what he will bring or if Garrett lets him do what he wants.

Sydla

Reaction score
If I had my druthers and could just wave a magic wand....................

I'd love to retain Lawrence, bring in Thomas at S, Garrett at DT, a veteran slot WR, maybe even bring in Fowler as a situational DE.............. then use the draft for more DL help, a TE and depth.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Right now, with Lawrence, they were still an average pass rush team. They ranked middle of the pack in sacks and pressures and even with advanced stats like Football Outsiders, we were a mediocre to poor pass rushing team.

The inability to get to the QB consistently is a flaw of this defense and will hold them back from being an elite D IMO. I don't know if possible, but I'd love to bring Lawrence back and add another stud DE. I am big Gregory guy but I am not sure he's ready to be that dominant guy.

Maybe we can remedy that with some scheme tweaks, using Smith and LVE to blitz more, but I think we are what we are scheme wise.

I thought the pass rush was really good this year. I don't know what the stats say but QB's weren't sitting in the pocket with all day to throw against our defense.

DE's take forever to develop too. So drafting a DE wouldn't help us for a few years most likely unless they are a stud.

It's a dink and dunk league and it's tough to get to the QB.

Our offense doesn't score a lot of points so there is no reason for teams to have their QB take 5 steps drops and throw down field much. Also, we are holding possession for long periods and slowing down games. That will also factor into sack totals.

I like our pass rush and think if it's going to go to another level it will come at DT and not DE. David Irving is the quick fix if he is interested in playing football.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Depending on the DT they acquire the pass rush could improve up the middle, but I think you do have a fair concern.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course they’re not that far away.

They need better red zone personnel. And someone capable of taking the ball away in defense would be nice. Dak needs to take another step forward, and we need to mostly sign our own good young players.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you, but I also feel like the team, in it's current form (we like our guys) will see its window close within 2-3 years. Now is the time to leverage our favorable cap leverage and strike toward a championship. The offense needs some value depth on the OL and one more weapon either to attack the seam or act as a possession safety net for Dak, and the defense needs some meat in the seam (speed is the assett but we need at least one 2-gap player). Add a playmaker in the secondary and you have a shot.

The fear is that you may not succeed - you may make all those moves and either next year's schedule is too brutal, you have injuries or whatever, and then you are in real trouble because you've invested for now and HAVE to make a coaching chance (there is no way Garrett survives not making the NFC-CG). But screw it, now's the time try.

I never buy into this window idea. Many said after the 2014 season we had a narrow window that would close in a year or two, and here we are after the 2018 season saying the same thing. The idea with the draft and other moves isn't just to open the window, but also to keep the window open.

But I would agree with the fact that at some point those extra pieces of the puzzle have to be put in place to get through the window.

Sydla

Reaction score
I thought the pass rush was really good this year. I don't know what the stats say but QB's weren't sitting in the pocket with all day to throw against our defense.

DE's take forever to develop too. So drafting a DE wouldn't help us for a few years most likely unless they are a stud.

It's a dink and dunk league and it's tough to get to the QB.

Our offense doesn't score a lot of points so there is no reason for teams to have their QB take 5 steps drops and throw down field much. Also, we are holding possession for long periods and slowing down games. That will also factor into sack totals.

I like our pass rush and think if it's going to go to another level it will come at DT and not DE. David Irving is the quick fix if he is interested in playing football.

I think part of your thinking is that what you saw was an improvement from some of our really dreadful pass rushing teams. But by pretty much most measures, this pass rush was average at best.

It just looked great because you were comparing our average to our dreadful from a few years ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes.

Agreed!

When we look at the other top teams or Final 4 we have one key weakness in comparison offensively which unless we build a generational type defense will be tough to overcome against the greater championship caliber teams.

In this era with rare exception you either need a top 5 prolific passing QB or a top 5 defense to at least play for a championship. We have neither so while we are playoff contenders we probably won’t be championship contenders.

If everyone in our division hadn’t collapsed until the Eagles late surge we would have struggled winning our division. I wouldn’t count on that every year and our 1st placed schedule as you mentioned will cause more challenges this season as well as our divisional foes.

We are probably the 4-6th best team in NFC. Which makes us relevant but not serious contenders. 2018 we probably over achieved as we did in 2016.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think part of your thinking is that what you saw was an improvement from some of our really dreadful pass rushing teams. But by pretty much most measures, this pass rush was average at best.

It just looked great because you were comparing our average to our dreadful from a few years ago.

Maybe, but Dallas isn't participating in shootouts either so if teams aren't getting pass happy against us and we are controlling the ball most of the game then there just isn't going to be a lot of sacks.

If we were up a couple scores and teams had to throw down field more then I think those sack numbers and turnover numbers would rise.

Regardless.. Dallas somehow played elite level defense this past year. At worst it was a top 5 unit but probably top 3 because of how dynamic we are on that side of the ball.

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe, but Dallas isn't participating in shootouts either so if teams aren't getting pass happy against us and we are controlling the ball most of the game then there just isn't going to be a lot of sacks.

If we were up a couple scores and teams had to throw down field more then I think those sack numbers and turnover numbers would rise.

Regardless.. Dallas somehow played elite level defense this past year. At worst it was a top 5 unit but probably top 3 because of how dynamic we are on that side of the ball.

One, it's a stretch to say they played at an elite level on defense. They were very good, but not Top 3, which is what I would call elite.

And one reason they weren't elite? They were average to below average against the pass, which in part, is due to the fact we were average at getting to the QB overall. Take the Bears, arguably the best defense in the NFL this year. They were 2nd in sacks, top 5 in pressures and Top 10 in pressure rate from football outsiders. The Cowboys were 16th in sacks, I believe 15th in pressures and bottom third in sack rate from football outsiders.

We simply were not really good at getting to the QB, even with Lawrence.

Which is funny considering our undoing in the playoffs was our strength - stopping the run.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Our defense looks much more dominating when our offense is controlling time of possession.

Our defense is much improved and carried us much of the season but we saw against the more elite QB’s and offenses we can’t leave them on the field longer than our offense.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agreed!

When we look at the other top teams or Final 4 we have one key weakness in comparison offensively which unless we build a generational type defense will be tough to overcome against the greater championship caliber teams.

In this era with rare exception you either need a top 5 prolific passing QB or a top 5 defense to at least play for a championship. We have neither so while we are playoff contenders we probably won’t be championship contenders.

If everyone in our division hadn’t collapsed until the Eagles late surge we would have struggled winning our division. I wouldn’t count on that every year and our 1st placed schedule as you mentioned will cause more challenges this season as well as our divisional foes.

We are probably the 4-6th best team in NFC. Which makes us relevant but not serious contenders. 2018 we probably over achieved as we did in 2016.

I don't feel like our roster has been the issue as much as coaching has been.

With Garrett of course the roster has to be on another level because of his coaching style but he is holding the team back more then the roster is.

The truth is most of these NFL rosters are not that good. They're all similar and every team has holes which makes QB and Schemes more important then the rest of the roster.

The Patriots team is not that good. They have holes. IT just doesn't matter because they have unbelievable schemes and a Wizard QB and Coach.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
DE - Resign Tank/Tag FA or Draft
DT - draft or FA
DT - draft or FA
S - draft or FA
SS - draft or FA
SLB - Wilson/Draft or FA
TE - Draft or FA
Slot - Beasley Draft or FA

I would like to see upgrades or depth added at the above positions...

G or Tackle could also use one more...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm hoping that having Moore as OC will shake things up on the offense, and make it much less predictable, while simultaneously incorporating plays designed to take advantage of Dak's strengths. I know it's a lot to hope for, but after working closely with him for a whole season, there's no coach who knows him better.
As for defense, a bowling ball DT to push up the middle and keep QBs from stepping up in the pocket, and keep RBs from gashing up the middle would help tremendously.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking about the Cowboys player personnel needs, and what has been posted on this site about those needs, and given that almost everyone has the same list, although not always in the same order, and given that it really boils down to about 3-4 important needs, I have to wonder if the Cowboys are really that far away from being the team we hope to see.

Let's not talk about Dak, because we won't draft a QB with a top pick, or Jerry and Jason who also won't be replaced for 2019. I know ... these are key roles, but for this thread let's talk about what is possible to address. If the mantra is only that the Cowboys have to suck with those guys, there are plenty of other threads to post that in.

It seems to me that the focus for most posters is solidly on 4 positions - S, DT, WR & TE, so, with so few major needs, I can't help but think the Cowboys have a realistic chance to address all of them.

SAFETY: If, as many think, ET is a target, signing him would address safety and take out one of the major needs.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: Obviously not having a 1st rounder hurts the chances to find a strong one, so that could be the biggest impediment. Still, we could go heavy at DT in the draft to improve the odds, or maybe trade up. And who knows, there is at least an outside chance Irving could get his stuff together - don't jump on that though because I do not advocate treating the offseason as if that will happen, and in fact, I believe we should treat it as if it won't, and it will be bonus if we are wrong.

WIDE RECEIVER: The chances are improved by the fact we don't need a #1 because of the Cooper trade, and many, including myself, think Gallup will be a quality #2 with a year of experience under his belt. We are also helped by the fact Cooper can move into the slot whenever needed, so that gives us versatility and allows us to look for the best receiver rather than a specific type of receiver. We also may already have a strong candidate in house to step up in Cedrick Wilson, who the Cowboys liked as a rookie last year before he got hurt in training camp. Of course, Adam Humphries is a free agent, and many think he would be ideal to replace Beasley, but the general feeling is the Cowboys won't be willing to pay what it will take to get him. Golden Tate would also fall in that category. But there should be a lot of #3 receiver options in the draft, plus there are several proven free agents that might cost a little but not break the bank. On the small side, Jon Brown, Jamison Crowder and Kendall Wright, but with the flexibility we have with Cooper we could go for a bigger, stronger receiver like Donte Moncrief.

TIGHT END: My personal belief that I know some will disagree with is TE is not a position we need to stretch for because once the Cowboys started targeting Jarwin and Schultz late in the season we saw notable results. They won't make the position elite, but I don't think elite is necessary to make the team strong. If someone we like falls to the middle rounds, or we want to take a shot on a reasonably priced veteran like Eifert, who has talent but is often injured, that would be reasonable, but there are other areas I believe are much more important to address. Plus, if we can fill the #3 WR spot capably that minimizes the need for a top receiver at TE.

Obviously there are other areas that could stand to be upgraded (O-Line depth), but the above seem to be the biggies.
I wonder what a top notch HC and OC can do with this talent?

Dre11

Reaction score

This right here.