Are there really fans that would rather still have Garrett?

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy managed a 6 win season with a HoF QB in his prime starting all 16 games. Because he’s better at ‘coaching.’ The next coach immediately won 13 games with that team despite no previous HC experience.

Can you think of a head coach who did worse with a hall of fame QB?

I’m okay with the swap.

What a dumb comparison. That's like basing Bellicheck's future as a hall of Famer base on his record in Cleveland.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeah I actually think this team quit on Garrett last year, despite numerous claims that they played hard for him.

He headed into the season with a new contract on the line and it went exactly how we knew it would go. All while playing in the crappiest division in football. 2 teams fighting to give the division away. No ones actually shocked the Eagles took it. While decimated by injuries. That claim on how hard his teams played has always been pure garbage!

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm glad you finally said SOMETHING that was right. But if McCarthy can beat 8-8, he'll be hot on Garret's mediocre trail.
not even close he will need to beat 13-3, a division win, and get past the 2nd round of the playoffs ie a NFCCG at minimum.

we saw 808 amd worse from MM in GB with Rogers..god help him having Dak as his qb..:)

so meh do better or you are worse then the coach most here call "suck clapper" but in reality at worse Garett was a middle of the pack coach who obviously was good enough to land many of his players huge contracts for the same record and production.. lol

so hes gone but the players who are a lot more responsible for the failures get to be shiny new millionaires..

Buzzbait

Reaction score
not even close he will need to beat 13-3, a division win, and get past the 2nd round of the playoffs ie a NFCCG at minimum...

McCarthy has all that and MORE in his resume, including a SB win. Garrett's resume was all about nepotism.
Out of 10 years Garrett never even sniffed an NFCCG or SB.

Don't worry blue, if MM doesn't meet expectations they'll fire him and get someone else. McCarthy can't claim nepotism to protect his job like Garrett.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
McCarthy has all that and MORE in his resume, including a SB win. Garrett's resume was all about nepotism.
Out of 10 years Garrett never even sniffed an NFCCG or SB.

Don't worry blue, if MM doesn't meet expectations they'll fire him and get someone else. McCarthy can't claim nepotism to protect his job like Garrett.
nah remember we dont live in the past his resume is past tense as he was fired and his last team was better off for it..he has to prove his worth and quick or he will be gone in 4 years or less..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
nah remember we dont live in the past his resume is past tense as he was fired and his last team was better off for it..he has to prove his worth and quick or he will be gone in 4 years or less..
Why, you're living in the past petting your mini statue of Garrett.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Why, you're living in the past petting your mini statue of Garrett.

Not me I never use the stupid narrative its been 25yrs BS its always about THIS SEASON , this new set of players and new coach..this ZONE lives too much in the past...Im not defending garetts failures in the playoffs only stating those that say he sux , have zero idea when that feels like because they have never been part of a DC team for too long that gone through what other actual bottom feeder teams have done most of their existence like CLE...

what garret did for the DC does into even meet the dictionary standard of suck, he simply was a solid coach that did good things here but lacked the success in the playoffs that is need to be considered great..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Well.....uh.......well......if I have to, if you're breaking my arm, or my leg, or my neck....Jason wasn't that bad a coach given the history of the NFL.

He ranks 54th in wins, 85, (behind Ted Marchiroda at 87) and 55th in winning percentage, .559 (behind Mike Ditka .560) out of 500 coaches on record.

How good is that?

Jimmy Johnson had 80 wins, 64 losses for a .556 winning percentage (ranking 62nd).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/
It has nothing to do with his tenure, that can eventually stabilize your numbers,,, its just a different era of the NFL,, the patience invested in trying to "develop" a QBs coach into a HC, esp for the Dallas Cowboys, was just bad judgement.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not me I never use the stupid narrative its been 25yrs BS its always about THIS SEASON , this new set of players and new coach..this ZONE lives too much in the past...Im not defending garetts failures in the playoffs only stating those that say he sux , have zero idea when that feels like because they have never been part of a DC team for too long that gone through what other actual bottom feeder teams have done most of their existence like CLE...

what garret did for the DC does into even meet the dictionary standard of suck, he simply was a solid coach that did good things here but lacked the success in the playoffs that is need to be considered great..
No, you're clearly not a huge fan of the current era, you do nothing but defend the past. That's the irony.

Garrett was not good in important games or the post season. Who cares about the cherry picked regular season. How about his late game meltdowns and lack of post season. Who ya gonna blame?

By your logic, well at least we're better than Cleveland.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No, you're clearly not a huge fan of the current era, you do nothing but defend the past. That's the irony.

Garrett was not good in important games or the post season. Who cares about the cherry picked regular season. How about his late game meltdowns and lack of post season. Who ya gonna blame?

By your logic, well at least we're better than Cleveland.
PLAYERS

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Listening to The Fan and here them discussing this and getting fan texts saying this staff is not better than the last one.. LMAO! Are these the same folks who feel the Earth is flat by any chance?

Do not believe everything you see or hear on the radio or TV. Even most reality shows are heavily scripted to ensure something entertaining happens. It would not surprise me at all to find out sports radio talk show hosts make up fake controversial texts and emails just to get a topic started or steer one down a different path. I don’t think there are many fans at all that are still on Garrett’s side. The few that may be out there have something seriously wrong with them or they are just continuing with their contrarian gimmick personas.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I always looked at the Garrett era as the best of the rest, comparing it to Gailey, Campo, Parcells and Phillips.

It was still frustrating and disappointing and an extension of the mediocre era since the 90’s dynasty.

But when you compare to his recent predecessors it actually isn’t as bad as some would present. He won more division titles and playoff games than the previous 4 HC’s over a decade combined.

We came closer to finally breaking thru to a championship appearance 3 times which is twice more than the previous 4 HC’s. If we break thru in any of those then it’s probably a different mindset despite Garrett’s obvious game mgmt struggles at times and his inexperience.

No doubt it was time to move on. But I think pending how the Cowboys fare moving forward Garretts record which BTW in last 4 years only Belichick won more games, will be held in a higher esteem under the circumstances than most can now.

Most importantly , I think this era along with Garrett’s stint is more reflective on our ownership and dysfunctional organization as no one is having anymore success with this franchise.Time will tell if current HC can finally go where no HC has in the last 2+ decades.

Stop talking about your loving hero like he was a good coach or there was anything good about the Garrett era.

Garrett was horrid and it was longest waste of time in the Cowboys history. 10 years of failure with the horrid Garrett.

And jokers like you supported him and thought he was doing a good job. :facepalm:

jnday

Reaction score
I don't have the hate for Garrett as some around here but I will say Jason was given more than enough time to get this team over the hump and failed to do so and was justly removed as HC.
The level of hate for a Garrett is really ridiculous. Dallas has had coaches that was much worse. Sure, it was time for him to go, but some of these posters act like he was the second coming of Dave Campo. It is really going to be an eye-opener when MM doesn’t do much better. For all of his faults, at least a Garrett didn’t skip team activities to get massages. Garrett was never accused of being lazy and disinterested in doing his job. One of the main reasons why Garrett is hated is due to the massive amount of overrating the talent the team has had the last few years. MM will have the same problem.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The level of hate for a Garrett is really ridiculous. Dallas has had coaches that was much worse. Sure, it was time for him to go, but some of these posters act like he was the second coming of Dave Campo. It is really going to be an eye-opener when MM doesn’t do much better. For all of his faults, at least a Garrett didn’t skip team activities to get massages. Garrett was never accused of being lazy and disinterested in doing his job. One of the main reasons why Garrett is hated is due to the massive amount of overrating the talent the team has had the last few years. MM will have the same problem.

I would agree about the depth of hate some have for Garrett. Myself I respect him but as a HC his job is to go out and win championship when you can't get it done over a period of time fans as well as players start to question it. McCarthy I think is a fine HC and I do think there is a lot of talent on this team at some key spots, are there areas of weakness? yes and I think you can find weakness on every team but it falls to HC to do things to help overcome weakness.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Garrett may be fine as a person....(when he's not stabbing somebody in the back), but as an NFL coach at any level he falls short.