Are we going to be able to build a super bowl contender w/ Jayon and LVE?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Serious question. Logically, I'd say we almost have to dump both and start over at the LB position before we can build a super bowl D. Can those guys be a part of a top 5 D? Serious doubts here.

No, those guys wont be around the day we have a shot to be SB ready. Cant have a tough defense with Jaylon in the middle. And being a top draft pick someone else will pay LVE more than he is worth. Both guys need to go and go quickly.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Serious question. Logically, I'd say we almost have to dump both and start over at the LB position before we can build a super bowl D. Can those guys be a part of a top 5 D? Serious doubts here.
The problem isnt just with JS and LVE, this entire defense has major issues.
At least we started the rebuild with Gallimore and Diggs.
Donovan Wilson might emerge as a 6th round steal.
So there is hope.
Lets see how Quinn addresses the cards he has been dealt, holding four deuces can win a round in poker.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Chill man they both are fine, we need to beef up the interior line
Gallimore was a rookie, but he flashed, and I see a playmaker in the making here and Ive said since he was drafted that he reminded me of a young Leon Lett and I stand behind that still.
I like that LL is his coach, its a nice pairing, and I agree that we need to keep going that route, drafting young DL, another hit is needed.
This will be a very interesting draft,, I dont want to go there on this thread because the Mods will move it, since we are not allowed to post anything draft related so I will end it here.

slick325

Reaction score
Sure, if the FO puts some quality DTs in front of them at both 3T AND 1T.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Question: Does anybody think Jaylon or LVE is a dawg?

The middle of the Cowboys defense is fragile and punch drunk. They have to bring in an anchor at NT first and foremost...then they need a true MLB, and last an enforcer at SS. Also a 3T is in order for the middle too. Nothing I saw from Gallimore or Hill would stop me from signing/drafting anyone.

Two cents: Jaylon and LVE aren't tough enough to be MLB...they WILL backers.

Cebrin

Reaction score
We need a true WILL. If we have a true WILL, and beef the middle watch ooout. They can cover, and run. They're not dogs. We need a dog.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Two risk injury draft picks further examples why this defense has been inept this era.

We’ve either had bust, off field issues or injury risk high picks in 1st and 2nd rounds which has prevented this defense from further success.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
There are a lot of problems. First off, LVE only plays half the time. Then you have Jaylon's contract. Before you even play a game you have some significant issues.

I think with fantastically better line play and a generally better scheme that the two of them would be . . . . OK but they certainly aren't a strength.

I will say this, I sure hope Dallas doesn't waste a high draft pick trying to fix the position. They have much bigger problems at DT, S and CB. I just don't think LB is as important as other positions nowadays where most downs are passing downs.

I sure hope that Jerry doesn't give LVE an extension. Paying him 10m per year to recover from the 3 plays he was on the field is such a Jerry thing to do.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No, because the Jones boys neglect too many other positions. Safety and DT are two positions that need addressing every year.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
With the players we have on defense we're better suited running the 3-4. Because LVE and J.Smith need three DT's in front of them to stop the run.

So I say we trade DLaw, then make Anae and Gregory our 3-4 outside linebackers (putting LVE and JSmith inside). Gallimore and Hill could be our starting DE's in the 3-4, with another big body like Marvin Wilson at NT.

Because if are moving forward with these two guys at LB in the 4-3, we'll never have a top ten defense against the run. And if you can't stop the run, you can't stop anything else.