Are we good at safety? or if not, Bring in two former 1st rounders in

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I could care less about those two as people.

It’s quite simple for me. Do we have depth issues at S? Yes. Could Reid, or Boston, or Vaccaro help us? Yes. Will they likely be cheap? Probably.

I won’t worry about made up stuff like Reid being a locker room cancer or other bizarre allegations you’ve made.

Can they help and will they come cheap? That’s all I care about.
Couldn't homie... couldn't care less.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I couldnt care less about those two as people.

It’s quite simple for me. Do we have depth issues at S? Yes. Could Reid, or Boston, or Vaccaro help us? Yes. Will they likely be cheap? Probably.

I won’t worry about made up stuff like Reid being a locker room cancer or other bizarre allegations you’ve made.

Can they help and will they come cheap? That’s all I care about.
But, the comp pick for Hitchens!

Corso

Reaction score
But, the comp pick for Hitchens!
Hey! That pick could get this team another Dak! I just love mid-late round QB's...
I bet this team does too... wait! They do!

Welp... upon further consideration: I think I'd rather get rid of that comp pick.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hey! That pick could get this team another Dak! I just love mid-late round QB's...
I bet this team does too... wait! They do!

Welp... upon further consideration: I think I'd rather get rid of that comp pick.
This is a year to year league. If you are worried about future comp middle round picks and allow that to cloud your idea of building a better team now, well, then you just deserve what you get.

Corso

Reaction score
This is a year to year league. If you are worried about future comp middle round picks and allow that to cloud your idea of building a better team now, well, then you just deserve what you get.
Thank you... thank you for that remedial reminder. I... appreciate that waste of a post to me. Send me more!

Corso

Reaction score
I can arrange for more PMs if you like.
More? You've sent some before? My God! I haven't meant to ignore you! Let me go in the vault and see what you've sent me...

Edit: Jerk... never sent me anything. Got my hopes all up... thinking I was going to read Alexander's stuff and nope. You were just engaging in pillow-talk.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Vaccaro cannot cover. they moved him to LB because of how bad he is in space. No, thank you.
Not really.

from this 2016 article...
Kenny Vaccaro's versatility becoming one of Saints' best defensive weapons

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/10/kenny_vaccaros_versatility_bec.html

Groomed in the slot

Vaccaro can play free safety, but he and coaches think that's a waste of his ability to stop the run, pressure the quarterback and cover man to man.
The 25-year-old showcased all those skills when he played nickel in college. Big 12 teams spend the majority of time in the spread offense, so Akina typically used his best defensive back in the slot.
"I've always felt that you want to get your best defensive back, the one that's just got a natural feel for the game, (at nickel)," he said. "If they run it, you're in. If they pass it, you can lock up and cover. You have to have a lot of flexibility."
Vaccaro blossomed into a top-tier playmaker his last two years at Texas. As a junior, he had 82 tackles, eight for loss, two sacks, two interceptions and eight pass break-ups. As a senior, he had 107 tackles, four for loss, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and five pass break-ups.

from another article...

At one point during the 2016 season, Vaccaro had filled roles as a safety, slot DB, SAM linebacker, and WILL linebacker while Dannell Ellerbe was injured.

He’s played strong safety, he’s defended slot receivers and he’s played multiple linebacker spots.

”There’s a lot on his plate, and he plays it well,” cornerback Sterling Moore said.

Barry Church played linebacker for us and Jacksonville as well.

It's a plus, not a negative.

Alexander

Reaction score
Just understand that any free agent safety is a "box safety" and not better than what we have.

Then wait until next offseason where it is a "need" again.

Corso

Reaction score
Just understand that any free agent safety is a "box safety" and not better than what we have.

Then wait until next offseason where it is a "need" again.
Although I must say... you've only sent snark. Can you send something real? Like: do you want them to sign Reid, or Vacarro?

GORICO

Reaction score
Reid and/or Vaccaro

I get what Reid has done is volatile with owners, however in a different building he has moved past it; on Mar 22, 2018. The fans will take him at his word. Reid and Vaccaro are two players that could improve the defense and limit the use of players that don’t have the elite skill-set. I am worried about Kavon and Heath, can they do it?

Guys, I want to win a Superbowl and this aggressiveness will solidify a need that was not addressed in free agency nor the draft. I say bring in Reid and/or Vaccaro for OTAs and see if they are a fit. Team friendly terms with incentives. I know you like it.
blackthorn--- i totally agree we gotta do something good and stop overestimating our talent..or overestimating their maturity