Are we okay at backup QB?

Kaiser

Reaction score
We are NOT OK at backup QB.

But no team is. White should improve, he could be a decent backup as early as this season. I think Cooper Rush remains a "break glass only in emergency" player and they go with 2 QBs on the 53 this year, but who knows how the preseason shakes out.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have no idea, haven't seen either of these guys play enough real football to know. But if we can have an All Pro RB that we didn't even keep in the HOFer Darius Jackson and the same in TE Rico Gathers, why not a backup QB headed to Canton?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My stance is That if my quarterback goes down I want to tank the rest of the way. I’m not spending resources on a guy who’s going to have me go 8-8 next season.

A backup won't usually take over for a championship run (though there are exceptions -- hello, Nick Foles and Earl Morell), but he can take over in the short term for 3 - 4 games and keep you in the hunt if you've started a good season. See Jeff Kemp playing in relief of Joe Montana. Kemp was no Montana, but that team was good enough to win games with Kemp while Montana healed up.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I would love to have a decent backup. But like said above if Dak goes down tank.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Kick some tires if there's some to kick, which could be a problem. But, Kellen n Kitna have to develop Rush n White...may just have to take that risk.

I'd rather Rush n White do the job tho.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A backup won't usually take over for a championship run (though there are exceptions -- hello, Nick Foles and Earl Morell), but he can take over in the short term for 3 - 4 games and keep you in the hunt if you've started a good season. See Jeff Kemp playing in relief of Joe Montana. Kemp was no Montana, but that team was good enough to win games with Kemp while Montana healed up.
Id rather lose those games but I understand that is not the thinking of a NFL franchise.

romonumberone

Reaction score
I don't think we are exactly doing great at starting QB. If Dak gets injured than is the drop off that big???? Some things they might do better than Dak.... like throw a football. Dak is probably average. But it is not like we are going from Joe Montana to a scrub. I would like to see what the young guys have and how they have progressed. After all if they really do suck than lets get rid of them and bring in some better backups. But the only way to really know is to have them play some real games with the 1st team.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Or do you think we should kick some free agent tires?

It's probably not going to happen but I've been surprised many times before.

I'm thinking the FO will wait 'til next year when the pickings should be better.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing this team take a rookie QB in the 2020 draft.

With experienced QBs being such expensive creatures, it will be a longshot.

Last edited:

CapnCook

Reaction score
I don't think we are exactly doing great at starting QB. If Dak gets injured than is the drop off that big???? Some things they might do better than Dak.... like throw a football. Dak is probably average. But it is not like we are going from Joe Montana to a scrub. I would like to see what the young guys have and how they have progressed. After all if they really do suck than lets get rid of them and bring in some better backups. But the only way to really know is to have them play some real games with the 1st team.

Please, let's keep this about backup QB! (There's already plenty of threads and counting about Dak. vs. No one else).

The OP has a great question.

I don't think we're ready for White or Rush to take over for even a game or two. Tanking is a ridiculous plan.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I expect the backups to look a lot better this preseason. They got very bad protection last season and this year the depth is really good.