northerncowboynation

Reaction score
***2017 PPG: 20.35
2018 PPG: 21.4

2017 Interceptions: 10
2018 Interceptions: 9

2017 sacks: 38
2019 sacks: 39

****In the 2017 number I subtracted 28 points that were the result of a pick 6.

Something to discuss...are we letting a young, firey coach blind us to the fact that this defense statistically isn’t much different? That playoff performance was as bad as I have seen in the Marinelli era...maybe the worse. Richard calls the plays.

Remember...he was fired from a staff that many of us envy and the Seahawks defense is no worse for it.

I think we've given him too much credit, yes. Why? Because so many were tired of Mari as DC. When Richard came here and the defense improved a bit, it was because of Richard, the young fiery motivator. I remember when Ryan first came to Dallas as a DC. There was a definite uptick in the defense for about 4 games and all of a sudden Ryan was a great DC. Then the defense fell back to earth for the rest of the season and the following season and Ryan was dirt.

Similar to Richard, the defense played well all year and suddenly Richard was the reason. He must have been. Same old Rod patrolling the sidelines so it MUST have been Richard who was responsible for the improvement. The thing is, we discredited Mari and credited Richard THEN after the Rams game we were stuck. Can't blow and suck at the same time. If Richard got all the credit for the improvement, how do fans justify that when the wheels come off. Too much credit given for sucesss and now too much blame for the loss.

Richard is a fine young defensive coach. We quaked in our boots at the thought of losing him to anther team as a HC. Didn't happen. Be thankful that he's here, part of the coaching staff. Life lesson? Be careful who you deify because there are no earth bound deities. We created the myth of Richard the saviour, now we have to live with the fact that he's merely mortal. The defense improved in 2018 and that's a fact despite all the stats like interceptions and sacks. Be happy with that fact and with Richard here on our coaching staff. Rock on!!

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Folks, the loss to the Ram's was on the players and execution. It was lost on the field, not on the sidelines or booth. If you talked yourself into the Cowboys being a SB contender, that's your bad. We weren't that at 0-0 and one coach does not change that. Not even a HC. 8-1 to finish the season, #1 in the NFC east and a WC playoff win. I'll take it. Can't change it

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Folks, the loss to the Ram's was on the players and execution. It was lost on the field, not on the sidelines or booth.

It was a combination of both. What the Cowboys were doing played right into the hands of the Rams blocking scheme and then there's the "we knew what they were going to do 90% of the time" thing, which is a coaching issue.

I wonder how much prep time Richard lost doing HC interviews? I notice no one has hired him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
It was a combination of both. What the Cowboys were doing played right into the hands of the Rams blocking scheme and then there's the "we knew what they were going to do 90% of the time" thing, which is a coaching issue.

I wonder how much prep time Richard lost doing HC interviews? I notice no one has hired him.

The LB'ers had to clean up in the running game all season and in the WC game. Top two tacklers on the D were LB'ers and they did a lot of dirty work cleaning up. That's certainly better than the DB's having to clean it up. Not so against the Rams. LVE was engaged with blockers most of the game, did a poor job of disengaging and our D-line played with their shoulders turned to the sidelines, not squared up. Put those two things together and we got gashed in the running game. It happened on the field, not on the sidelines IMO

Whyjerry

Reaction score
***2017 PPG: 20.35
2018 PPG: 21.4

2017 Interceptions: 10
2018 Interceptions: 9

2017 sacks: 38
2019 sacks: 39

****In the 2017 number I subtracted 28 points that were the result of a pick 6.

Something to discuss...are we letting a young, firey coach blind us to the fact that this defense statistically isn’t much different? That playoff performance was as bad as I have seen in the Marinelli era...maybe the worse. Richard calls the plays.

Remember...he was fired from a staff that many of us envy and the Seahawks defense is no worse for it.

Yes but he is still a good young coach. You have to remember the coaching bar is so low in Dallas that if anyone comes around and shows some fire and some smarts they will be viewed as a savior. This is an organization that hired a 30 years old quarterbacks coach, his FIRST coaching job, to coach a 24 year old potential franchise QB. That is the stupidity level here. Also, a WR coach was expected to be the missing link for a struggling offense because the previous coach, supposedly, did not teach route running. This is also a team that hire a OL coach from the BENGALS (!!!) to coach a unit filled with pro bowlers. It wasn't until he almost destroyed the group that we found out his blocking schemes were inconsistent with the offense they were trying to run. It is all run by a guy that was an average OC that was handed a HC job. During his almost 10 years here his process has yielded 2 playoff wins. In Dallas, Coaching is a afterthought as long as the Jones family can bilk a few million more selling soft drinks and advertising.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Kind of hard to say without knowledge of what he has control over, wouldn't you think? Rod is the DC. I am sure its a group effort to put the game plan together but in the end, Rod would have final say over the game plan for the Defensive side. He may also restrict the play calls on the sideline, like play coverage here or bring pressure here, when it would not be something that Richard would have done, if he was the DC. While we could very well be over rating him, we won't truly know until when and if he is the actual DC.
I agree, we will also know if he leaves.
Sack stats are irrelevant.
I didnt know ppg were 20 points in 2017

but even that can be deceptive, the offense can skew those #'s with pick 6's and turning over ball in our end of field.
Plus KR was not the actual DC , his title was passing game coordinator lol, and other teams would not be interviewing him
if they were not impressed.