Are we so much better than 2014, 2016, 2007?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Im ecstatic with what I see, so lets start with that.

But Ive been here before, in 2014, 2016 and 2007. Im reading from so many posters that this is the best team we have had in so many years.... really?
In the years I mentioned plus this year, all 4 seasons we started out 6-1. In 3 of those seasons, including this year, we had an OT win.

Oh, but you dont know what you are talking about, this year our defense is so much better. Really?

2021 ppg after 7 games? 22.8ppg allowed
2007 22.5
2014 21
2016 18.5

Oh, but this year our offense is so much better.... really?
2021 32 ppg
2007 32.4 ppg
2014 28ppg
2016 26.8 ppg

I would argue that all of these teams are similar... and ALL of them are and were legit SB contenders.
So as happy as I am right now, dont kid yourself into thinking that this team is head and shoulders ahead of those teams I listed above... they arent. We could win a SB this year for sure, and we could also get bounced in the first playoff game against 3 or 4 different teams in the NFC.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Definitely better than 2007. Lots of people think that was the most talented cowboys team but I always thought it was fools gold. They started breaking apart in December; injuries and mistakes with inadequate depth just did the team in.

I think 2014 was the most talented team of the last 25 or so years. Totally dominant OL and RB, the best Romo had ever been, and defense that wasn't as talented as 2007 but was playing a system that worked (NFL was still figuring out the cover 3 and the Cowboys could score on sustained drives that forced other teams to chase). Lawrence came on at the end of the rookie year and really started flashing as well.

2016 was close, and I thought possibly the best coaching of Garrett's career.

But I think there is a chance that 2021 is both more talented AND better coached. The offense is dominant top to bottom at every position, with depth to boot. The defense is seeing the emergence of Gregory as a star (not sure there are 5 better pass rushers over the last month) and as well coached as I've seen as a Cowboys fan.

Still a lot of season to go, but at this pace, I think they are better than those iterations.

EDIT - I always wanted Garrett to take the next step, but it never happened. I for one feel fortunate that the guy who finished the 2014 and 2016 campaigns is on this side now. I think other than QB (Rodgers is an all time great IMO), this is likely the most talented team McCarthy has ever had, next to the 2010 run.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
No, I don't think this team is appreciably different (at this point) than those others, relative to the conference anyway. Maybe in a few weeks if the defense keeps coming together and these minor injury issues don't get more frequent or serious.

But bottom line, we'll be right there in the mix to go far in the playoffs, but we don't look to be clear favorites or co-favorites like the Cowboys and '9ers were in the '90s. Those playoff games in 2007, 2014 and 2016 could have gone either way, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's how the playoffs work out this year. Hopefully we'll be the ones getting the breaks this time.

Section446

Reaction score
I think a lot of people have recency bias and will say that this team is better... and I would agree!

I think that the "x-factor" in this is the coaching staff. You can argue all day which of the above listed teams had a better roster on paper, but there's no denying that the current coaching staff is better by a mile. One might argue that we have the hottest DC and OC in the game right now (didn't say the best).

John813

Reaction score
Simply going off stats isn't the best way to analyze a team. Not saying it's worthless but you miss context.
Also, IIRC teams are scoring more than in the past. Rules, talent and teams going pass first is resulting in more points.

We lost our starting RT week 2 through 7
We lost a starting WR week 1 through current.
We won a game with a backup QB.

On defense, we've missed D-Law for most of the year.
Gallimore hasn't even played yet. D. Wilson has missed games too.

But, the team hasn't missed a beat with all the above injuries except for Prescott.

I don't think this team is clear cut better than the rest but it feels this team is different.

2014 and 2016 it was obvious the defense sucked but we had a dominate run game to control the clock.
2007 the team was balanced but I don't think Wade was the right HC for stuff got tough.

This year we've seen the offense win games along with the defense stepping up at times.

Still 10 more games to go but I feel confident they could make a run

DanA

Reaction score
We are better.

Not because of some raw statistics but because we have the right coaches and key players at all the important positions and we've weathered some adversity already this season while still coming out on top. This is a 6-1 team despite or Franchise QB missing a game, without our highest paid defender for 6 games, with our no.1 WR clearly banged up and many key peices missing at various stages (Martin, T.Smith, Lawrence, Gregory, Dak, Gallup).

None of those other seasons were like that, IMO we having another gear. Just wait until Dak, Lawrence, Gallimore, Gallup and Collins get up and running.

starfan1

Reaction score
hard telling its early. I will wait until we get our horses on defense back but it has the chance to be special. I really want to see how well this team plays with Dlaw and Gregory and Neville in the fold.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

But Ive been here before, in 2014, 2016 and 2007. Im reading from so many posters that this is the best team we have had in so many years.... really?
In the years I mentioned plus this year, all 4 seasons we started out 6-1. In 3 of those seasons, including this year, we had an OT win.

Oh, but you dont know what you are talking about, this year our defense is so much better. Really?

2007 22.5
2014 21
2016 18.5

2021 32 ppg
2007 32.4 ppg
2014 28ppg
2016 26.8 ppg

I would argue that all of these teams are similar... and ALL of them are and were legit SB contenders.
So as happy as I am right now, dont kid yourself into thinking that this team is head and shoulders ahead of those teams I listed above... they arent. We could win a SB this year for sure, and we could also get bounced in the first playoff game against 3 or 4 different teams in the NFC.
actually....the average scoring dropped significantly because of last night's game...I wonder what the numbers would look like before last night's game when our top 5 QB didn't play.....(about 35)....

but those teams were good too. no doubt...they just couldnt' finish.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s going to come down to the defense whether this team is better or will be better than the teams we had in 2007, 2014 and 2016. Until last night this team looked similar to those teams a great offense with a flawed defense. After a shaky start the defense really stepped up last night. Minnesota was 1-13 on third down and we hit Cousins a lot. The defense also stepped up when the game was on the line. We got it done last night with a career backup QB on the road against a good team. That’s different than what we’ve seen with the past good teams we’ve had. We still have a long way to go but there’s some encouraging signs with this team. We’ll see if the defense continues to improve and we can maintain the consistency we’ve seen or we become complacent and falter down the stretch. I’ve been burned too many times by past good Cowboys teams to get overly excited about this team but I certainly like what I’m seeing.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is true. Then again, why be a killjoy?
Not trying to be a killjoy, thats why I stated right at the beginning that I am ecstatic. Im just pointing out the ridiculous subjectivity of posters. Someone above said this team is better than those teams and it isnt even close... huh?
Next someone is saying we are so much better because our coaches are so much better? Huh?

I hope we win a SB this year. There is not much more that I can say I want more in my life than that... my life is pretty good, a Dallas SB would be phenomenal. But if we were to lose in the first rd, watch how quickly all those in here singing the praises of these coaches would crush them.. every, single one of them.

It is easy to go back and point to what happened at the end of the season, but after 7 games, those teams are very, VERY similar. They were all kicking butt.

blueblood70

Reaction score

2007 22.5
2014 21
2016 18.5

2021 32 ppg
2007 32.4 ppg
2014 28ppg
2016 26.8 ppg

dont forget 2018 it was the best of them all 2nd round huge run to close the season after a 3-5 start

yes they all are similar with the exception that so far we are overcoming all obstacles missing key player and now even dak, we are playing the best team game ive seen..

so as team this has very different feel but anything short of an NFCCG appearance then it just falls in line with the rest..

overall i think the difference is the coaching is better across the board and that bodes well in the playoffs the game plans, aggression, the in game adjustments, Play calling etc etc..

Reid1boys

Reaction score
It’s going to come down to the defense whether this team is better or will be better than the teams we had in 2007, 2014 and 2016. Until last night this team looked similar to those teams a great offense with a flawed defense. After a shaky start the defense really stepped up last night. Minnesota was 1-13 on third down and we hit Cousins a lot. The defense also stepped up when the game was on the line. We got it done last night with a career backup QB on the road against a good team. That’s different than what we’ve seen with the past good teams we’ve had. We still have a long way to go but there’s some encouraging signs with this team. We’ll see if the defense continues to improve and we can maintain the consistency we’ve seen or we become complacent and falter down the stretch. I’ve been burned too many times by past good Cowboys teams to get overly excited about this team but I certainly like what I’m seeing.

why not get overly excited? What are we supposed to do, wait to get excited until AFTEr we win one? Heck no, Im excited right now and will be excited all season until or if we get knocked out.