Are we so much better than 2014, 2016, 2007?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
actually....the average scoring dropped significantly because of last night's game...I wonder what the numbers would look like before last night's game when our top 5 QB didn't play.....(about 35)....

but those teams were good too. no doubt...they just couldnt' finish.
34ppg

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Not trying to be a killjoy, thats why I stated right at the beginning that I am ecstatic. Im just pointing out the ridiculous subjectivity of posters. Someone above said this team is better than those teams and it isnt even close... huh?
Next someone is saying we are so much better because our coaches are so much better? Huh?

I hope we win a SB this year. There is not much more that I can say I want more in my life than that... my life is pretty good, a Dallas SB would be phenomenal. But if we were to lose in the first rd, watch how quickly all those in here singing the praises of these coaches would crush them.. every, single one of them.

It is easy to go back and point to what happened at the end of the season, but after 7 games, those teams are very, VERY similar. They were all kicking butt.
You don't think the coaches are better?

droopdog7

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot as well and the real answer is we don't know. Many people forget that the team won 13 and 12 games under garrett. At the end of the day, only the end result will matter. If we flame out in the playoffs, assuming we keep it up in the regular season, then the answer is no.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Not trying to be a killjoy, thats why I stated right at the beginning that I am ecstatic. Im just pointing out the ridiculous subjectivity of posters. Someone above said this team is better than those teams and it isnt even close... huh?
Next someone is saying we are so much better because our coaches are so much better? Huh?

I hope we win a SB this year. There is not much more that I can say I want more in my life than that... my life is pretty good, a Dallas SB would be phenomenal. But if we were to lose in the first rd, watch how quickly all those in here singing the praises of these coaches would crush them.. every, single one of them.

It is easy to go back and point to what happened at the end of the season, but after 7 games, those teams are very, VERY similar. They were all kicking butt.

I find a lot of the 'this team is different' stuff a bit cringy too. But whatever. People believe what they want to believe. You rarely can change someone's mind with logic, especially when they're so invested. And it'll make a nice story for them to remember if this team does go on to win it all. 'Team of destiny' narratives are romantic.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot as well and the real answer is we don't know. Many people forget that the team won 13 and 12 games under garrett. At the end of the day, only the end result will matter. If we flame out in the playoffs, assuming we keep it up in the regular season, then the answer is no.

BINGO.... thank you, and that is exactly what my point is.

Everyone is so biased and there is very little OBJECTIVELY that you can point to in making the case that this team is so much better than the ones I mentioned.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
why not get overly excited? What are we supposed to do, wait to get excited until AFTEr we win one? Heck no, Im excited right now and will be excited all season until or if we get knocked out.

I’m excited but I’m not to the point where I’m going to start booking my Super Bowl tickets. I’m getting more optimistic about this team with every game they play but I’m cautious. Don’t know if you were following the team back in 2007, 2014 and 2016 but those seasons didn’t end well. If you get too high about a team too soon you could be in for a big let down. It’s been a great season so far but we still have a lot of games to play.

shabazz

Reaction score
Good opinions but it can only be proven out by the final results. If we don’t get to the nfc championship game I’d have to say no because there’s only a handful of teams that are legit

Other than the Bucs, Packers, Cardinals and Rams the rest aren’t going anywhere. The Saints May be washed up with the Winston injury and Seattle isn’t what it used to be.

Only have to beat 3 of the 4 teams to get to the championship game.....than one more to get to the Bowl.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The main reasons why this team is better than any of our playoff teams since 1995..

1) The QB.. This version of Dak is better than 2016 Dak and better than any version of Romo we ever saw.
2) The secondary and backers.. Diggs gives this defense the best ballhawk it has had since Everson Walls and Parsons is the best linebacker we've had outside of peak Sean Lee. The safeties have all been solid if not spectacular.. except for Kearse.. who absolutely HAS been.. He is doing what Roy Williams used to do against the run without getting beat like a drum by tight ends like he did.
3) The pass rush.. This is a projection but I do think the combination of Lawrence and Gregory will be at least as good as Ware and Spencer and better than any other combo we've had since. Gregory is wreaking havoc very similar to what Ware was doing these days.. If we get Lawrence back healthy he would have to be considered an upgrade over Spencer.
4) The running backs.. The Zeke/Pollard tandem is better than Julius/Marion and better than Murray/Randle and no matter what people say, better than rookie Zeke by himself.
5) Last but not least, coaching.. McCarthy, Moore and Quinn is the best combination of head coach and coordinators we've had since Jimmy, Norv and Wannstedt. They give us a chance to go into any game with the possibility of having an advantage on the sideline against most anybody at one or more of the three.

J12B

Reaction score
2007 was better. This team is better than 2014 and 2016 though.

Man if they're better than the 2016 team, then they're going to the Superbowl.

The 2016 team was excellent.

That oline was dominant as they come and Zeke was the best he'd ever been.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its simply why they are better the coaching staff is better and their their mental toughness so much stronger and as the season keeps going with good health the defense be as good as the cowboys have ahad in a long long time

Big_D

Reaction score
Those teams accomplished absolutely nothing. Went on to choke just like Garrett always did. 2 wild card wins in the next 13 years. That’s gonna be tough! That bar has been set real high apparently. The RB situation is better, the LBs are better, the secondary is better. D as a whole is more opportunistic, WR “group” is better. DC, OC, HC all better than those 3 seasons. They were a facade and there was little surprise when they ended the way they did.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The main reasons why this team is better than any of our playoff teams since 1995..

1) The QB.. This version of Dak is better than 2016 Dak YES.....way better than 2016 Dak
and better than any version of Romo we ever saw. NO......not 2014 Romo
fify

But it's impossible to debate. We just diagree.
That's never worth getting into

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Definitely better than 2007. Lots of people think that was the most talented cowboys team but I always thought it was fools gold. They started breaking apart in December; injuries and mistakes with inadequate depth just did the team in.

I think 2014 was the most talented team of the last 25 or so years. Totally dominant OL and RB, the best Romo had ever been, and defense that wasn't as talented as 2007 but was playing a system that worked (NFL was still figuring out the cover 3 and the Cowboys could score on sustained drives that forced other teams to chase). Lawrence came on at the end of the rookie year and really started flashing as well.

2016 was close, and I thought possibly the best coaching of Garrett's career.

But I think there is a chance that 2021 is both more talented AND better coached. The offense is dominant top to bottom at every position, with depth to boot. The defense is seeing the emergence of Gregory as a star (not sure there are 5 better pass rushers over the last month) and as well coached as I've seen as a Cowboys fan.

Still a lot of season to go, but at this pace, I think they are better than those iterations.

EDIT - I always wanted Garrett to take the next step, but it never happened. I for one feel fortunate that the guy who finished the 2014 and 2016 campaigns is on this side now. I think other than QB (Rodgers is an all time great IMO), this is likely the most talented team McCarthy has ever had, next to the 2010 run.
So right about 2007 team being a bit overrated.
It was the era when they had fan voting for the Pro Bowl in mid-season.
They came out the gate strong and caught everyone's attention....so every Cowboy with a pulse got voted in the Pro Bowl that year.
To this day you have people saying well, they had x many Pro Bowlers. No, not really
It was silly

Also 2007 Romo (or his 1st full year a sa starter) was not 2014 Romo--who became the first QB in NFL history to lead the league in QB rating in both the regular season and playoffs

They WERE very good in 2007, but they faded late with Wade as HC and a lot of nagging injures all-around.
Their line was very good but not as great as 2014 or 2016 and no way was Barber (who I loved to watch) as good as prime Zeke or the current Zeke/Pollard combo.

This year's WR group as a whole is better than any of those teams

I really like how this year's group is coached and the offense (when healthy) is a terror, while the defense just keeps getting better.

They have a real shot, I think

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I’m excited but I’m not to the point where I’m going to start booking my Super Bowl tickets. I’m getting more optimistic about this team with every game they play but I’m cautious. Don’t know if you were following the team back in 2007, 2014 and 2016 but those seasons didn’t end well. If you get too high about a team too soon you could be in for a big let down. It’s been a great season so far but we still have a lot of games to play.
You see the picture near my name? I personally took that picture. Yea, I've been following this team for a few years.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
The 07 team DL

Ware
Ellis
Spencer
Ratliff
Hatcher
Canty
Spears
Tank Johnson

we just choked against the Giants. I do think this team in mentally tougher and better coaches. But the talent was better in 2007.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I have to say it's Dak. The Man brings so much intangible juice to this team, unifying the entire roster as a Brotherhood. There are plenty of other teams where the different units do not even know one another. That is not the case with team. It makes a big difference when you care about the people you work with.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the most talented roster they've had since they last appeared in a SB.

We'll see if that talent equals wins.