Are we so much better than 2014, 2016, 2007?

cowboyec

Reaction score
we're about to find out but i think so.
they look...to me...to be the best team from 2000-now.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I dont care what those numbers say, this defense is a lot better than what we fielded in those past teams.

The offense is multi dimensional and nearly impossible to stop. The depth is also much better. As far as the numbers go look for the defense to hit stride and improve over the course of the season. Dlaw will have an impact. Let's talk about turnovers also.

You also need to talk about the intangibles. This team here is resilient, way beyond what those other teams were capable of. Our past teams had a couple things go against them and they were pretty much done for. This team is different, it's better.

Edit: Romo vs Dak in the clutch and I'm taking Dak every single time. Didn't notice 2007 at first. That team was loaded.

So the 2014 team that had the best running game in the league and Romo completing 70% of his passes with 34 td passes wasnt multi dimensional?
But thank you, you prove my point for me. THIS TEAM is resilient... but none of the others were...lol
Those teams won 12 and 13 games, yet as soon as something went against them they folded up like a tent? bahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahha

Again, thanks for your post, you made the exact point I was trying to make, but you did it so much better.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I have pictures like that I took in 1981 at the Sugar Ray Leonard/Thomas Hearns tile fight in Vegas. I have one of O.J. Simpson and Nicole Brown Simpson that’s very fuzzy but you can tell it’s them. I was moving the camera when I took the picture. I posted it here before when I had photobucket. Once I get another hosting site I’ll post it again.
ahhhhhh, Ive never been to a big fight. Those 80s middleweights were the BEST. I cant even imagine the electricity in the crowd as Leonard and Hearns entered the ring. That must have been a magical experience.

lukin2006

Reaction score
This team is better. Better mental toughness. This team had plenty of reason to lose to the vikings, but this team found away to beat the vikings…I am having trouble totally buying in, but I pretty much have…of course on game day I’ll mumble.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
We actually makes adjustments and don’t fall apart when players get injured. This feels like the 90s teams.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ahhhhhh, Ive never been to a big fight. Those 80s middleweights were the BEST. I cant even imagine the electricity in the crowd as Leonard and Hearns entered the ring. That must have been a magical experience.

I attended several championship fights in Vegas starting in the late 70s until the early 90s. Saw Muhammad Ali lose to Larry Holmes and Sugar Ray Leonard beat Marvin Hagler. I began losing interest in boxing after Mike Tyson went to jail for rape. I stopped following the sport in the mid to late 90s. Haven’t seen a fight since. The 70s and 80s were the best with Ali, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton, George Forman, Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes. Not really all that close.

For the first time since late 90's, we are super bowl contenders

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I attended several championship fights in Vegas starting in the late 70s until the early 90s. Saw Muhammad Ali lose to Larry Holmes and Sugar Ray Leonard beat Marvin Hagler. I began losing interest in boxing after Mike Tyson went to jail for rape. I stopped following the sport in the mid to late 90s. Haven’t seen a fight since. The 70s and 80s were the best with Ali, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton, George Forman, Roberto Duran and Sugar Ray Leonard.
wow, you were at Leonard vs Hagler. I was too young to remember Ali's heyday fights, so IM not sure there was anything more hyped than Hagler/Leonard. People loved to watch tyson stomp people, but never 2 like hagler leonard.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I said it back then (you can look it up), and I’ll say it now but the group of Romo, Witten, Ware, T.O., Spears, B James, TNew, RW31, TWill, Murray, Lee, Barber, etc. would be the poster children of the Dallas Cowboys dark ages.

Some great players to be sure (some HOFers of course), but there was just something off with the collective. There were lots of individual success, but the team lacked true leadership.

Perhaps the talent was wasted under horrible coaches, but more often than not (much more often), that group failed to deliver when the chips were down.

That group couldn’t sniff the heart/leadership/success of the great 70s and 90s teams.

Lack of playoff success is all the evidence you need.

Now, is this current group more of the same? Is the coaching better?

Time will tell, but to address the OP, my eyes tell me that this group is more special than any of those other teams. The “it” factor is stronger.

Again, we shall see.

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score
So the 2014 team that had the best running game in the league and Romo completing 70% of his passes with 34 td passes wasnt multi dimensional?
But thank you, you prove my point for me. THIS TEAM is resilient... but none of the others were...lol
Those teams won 12 and 13 games, yet as soon as something went against them they folded up like a tent? bahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahha

Again, thanks for your post, you made the exact point I was trying to make, but you did it so much better.

It’s not about the stats and record it’s about talent.

How I felt about Garrett, Marinelli, and Linehan is simply not the same as I feel about McCarthy, Moore, and Quinn. To me that’s the biggest difference. The talent is better.

That O-line of both 2014 and 16 were brilliant, and far better than the current one, but I think the offense’ are a push considering the depth of skill players on hand now. They had great chemistry and top end talent, but what Butler, Randle, Escobar, T.Williams, and D.Street we’re capable of doesn’t hold a candle to the likes of Wilson, Pollard, Jarwin, and Gallup. Add that to a much more creative OC and that’s why it’s better.

On defense I think depth again is proving to be much better, but also the top end talent IMO is every bit as good. We had Sean Lee and David Irving on hot streaks but those guys aren’t any better than Gregory and Parsons IMO and we had nothing like Diggs.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
="Reid1boys, post: 11348002, member: 39890"…We could win a SB this year for sure, and we could also get bounced in the first playoff game against 3 or 4 different teams in the NFC.

This portion of your post is true every year for almost every team.

Exception: During the Patriots dynastic run, they played in the worst division in the AFC, almost always assuring them of a bye (not every year, but most years) b/c 2 teams got a bye. That bye week was HUGE. One win and on the the AFCC game.

Now, only one team gets a bye. They will absolutely have an advantage in the divisional round. With that said, there won’t be one team that’s so dominant that they’re a lock to even make the SB, much less win it.

This ‘last in the league in penalties’ business might be the difference if we don’t get it fixed. We probably aren’t committing 10 penalties and winning a playoff game, especially in the divisional round. 10 penalties WILL kill us off in an NFCC game or a SB.

We have the talent. We have the scheme. We have the ‘intangibles’ (leadership and whatever else you want to throw in there). I’m not even seriously concerned with the coaching except as it relates to my next point: Do we have the discipline?

I don’t know.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
If Dak can return to 100%, this is without question the best team since 1995. Dallas has a top 3 QB leading the team and a defense that’s near the top of the league in takeaways, makes a ton of difference.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
However you rank this team against those of the past.. it's going to be a fun season.. We fans are in for a treat and I hope we are all wise enough to truly enjoy the ride and quit whining about player salaries and other such nonsense. Watch the football.. you never get to see the direct deposit hit their bank accounts and if you did it wouldn't be very interesting anyway..

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Yes

Why? We don't have the cancer called Garrett on this team who couldn't coach himself out of a paper bag.

End of discussion.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
There's one way in which this team is exactly the same as those other teams.

It inspires exactly the same number of "this time is different" and "they're better because of the intangibles" posts here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
wow, you were at Leonard vs Hagler. I was too young to remember Ali's heyday fights, so IM not sure there was anything more hyped than Hagler/Leonard. People loved to watch tyson stomp people, but never 2 like hagler leonard.

Unfortunately by the time I saw Ali fight he was done. I started attending fights with my dad and brother when I was 13. I was 22 when I went to the Hagler/Leonard fight. That was a heck of a fight! Never attended a Mike Tyson fight wasn’t interested paying for one or two rounds.