Are we so much better than 2014, 2016, 2007?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Glass half full line up on this side. Glass half empty line up on that side...

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The togetherness of this team can’t be overlooked and that separates that from those teams.

We will find out if it brings us number 6.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Im ecstatic with what I see, so lets start with that.

But Ive been here before, in 2014, 2016 and 2007. Im reading from so many posters that this is the best team we have had in so many years.... really?
In the years I mentioned plus this year, all 4 seasons we started out 6-1. In 3 of those seasons, including this year, we had an OT win.

Oh, but you dont know what you are talking about, this year our defense is so much better. Really?

2021 ppg after 7 games? 22.8ppg allowed
2007 22.5
2014 21
2016 18.5

Oh, but this year our offense is so much better.... really?
2021 32 ppg
2007 32.4 ppg
2014 28ppg
2016 26.8 ppg

I would argue that all of these teams are similar... and ALL of them are and were legit SB contenders.
So as happy as I am right now, dont kid yourself into thinking that this team is head and shoulders ahead of those teams I listed above... they arent. We could win a SB this year for sure, and we could also get bounced in the first playoff game against 3 or 4 different teams in the NFC.

I think we are better and I say that because you have more people involved, we do not rely strictly on 1 or 2 players to carry the load, At RB it is not just Zeke having to carry the load Pollard brings big play to the table. At WR it is not just Dez we have 2 outstanding WR and a 3rd WR who is making big plays as he fills in for a big play WR in Gallup. TE is not just 1 guy like Witten, we have Schultz and Jarwin. Same thing with defense you have multiple players who have stepped up and made big plays in big moments. I think trying to judge a season and team based on ppg from one season to the next is not the true story of any team. I think Cowboys present a much bigger problem for opponents than they have in a long time

khiladi

Reaction score
Cooper Rush can throw for over 300 yards with this offense and this talent in his first start. There is no way he nor our resident starter do that in 2014. They aren’t in anyway capable of running that offense.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
The 2007 team was better on paper, but they weren't as tight as this team is and definitely weren't coached as good.

2014 or 2016 were pleasant surprises, and nothing more. They were always liabilities on defense and #12 exposed them twice.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Im ecstatic with what I see, so lets start with that.

But Ive been here before, in 2014, 2016 and 2007. Im reading from so many posters that this is the best team we have had in so many years.... really?
In the years I mentioned plus this year, all 4 seasons we started out 6-1. In 3 of those seasons, including this year, we had an OT win.

Oh, but you dont know what you are talking about, this year our defense is so much better. Really?

2021 ppg after 7 games? 22.8ppg allowed
2007 22.5
2014 21
2016 18.5

Oh, but this year our offense is so much better.... really?
2021 32 ppg
2007 32.4 ppg
2014 28ppg
2016 26.8 ppg

I would argue that all of these teams are similar... and ALL of them are and were legit SB contenders.
So as happy as I am right now, dont kid yourself into thinking that this team is head and shoulders ahead of those teams I listed above... they arent. We could win a SB this year for sure, and we could also get bounced in the first playoff game against 3 or 4 different teams in the NFC.
All good points . And I think this is a good team similar to the ones you mentioned .

But I think the bigger argument or concern is how will we match up in the playoffs against AZ, GB, LA and Tampa??

dwmyers

Reaction score
At least by OSRS, this is the best Dallas offense in the last 20 years.

2021 10.3
2016 3.6
2014 6.7
2007 6.8
2006 5.9

OSRS is based on points scored, and is normed to a league average and then weighted by strength of schedule. So the Dallas O this year averages 10.3 points more than the norm, etc.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
2007 is the best of the 3. The 2014 offense was dominant but the defense was counterfeit. George Selvie, Nick Hayden, Jerry Mincey??? Please. Anything close to an average defense beats a one legged Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs. That unit eliminates the team from the conversation. 2016 IMO was more balanced than '14 but had a rookie QB.

If the 2021 can make it to the playoffs with a relatively healthy roster, I think they are up there with 2007. Maybe better due to the coaching staff, notwithstanding some clock management issues.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
It's hard to say at this time if this team is truly "better" than that 2007 team. I can't say either way, yet.

There's still a lot of football to be played, and the players and the coaching staff need to keep getting better. It's all about the playoffs - and being healthy, and well coached, deep into winter.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread.

I suggest that people watch the games. A lot of Dallas' stats this year happen after the game has been decided. They slow down on offense and play prevent defense. Don't do statistical analysis on games once they are out of hand.

Eagles: Up 41-14 and let up to win 41-21
Panthers: Up 36-14 and let up to win 36-28

If Dallas keeps the pressure up, they beat Philly 48-14 and Panthers 43-14 with much better yardage differentials. If you plug those stats in then your stats show the Cowboys as the best they have been since the dynasty . . . which they are.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The 07 team DL

Ware
Ellis
Spencer
Ratliff
Hatcher
Canty
Spears
Tank Johnson

we just choked against the Giants. I do think this team in mentally tougher and better coaches. But the talent was better in 2007.

Again, this is what bothers me. what data do you have to show that this team is "Mentally tougher."
It is my opinion, people have a sour taste in their mouth due to the playoff end result of those teams, so they say, "My eyeballs tell me,".. blah blah blah. Bottom line is after SEVEN games, this team is no better than the years I listed.

In the end, it may show they are much better, bgut we need to wait and see.

I was in Seattle in 2014 when we punched that team in the mouth when they still had the 12th man and legion of boom breaking their 729 game home win streak. Yea, that takes some mental toughness to do, no?

blueblood70

Reaction score
At least by OSRS, this is the best Dallas offense in the last 20 years.

2021 10.3
2016 3.6
2014 6.7
2007 6.8
2006 5.9

OSRS is based on points scored, and is normed to a league average and then weighted by strength of schedule. So the Dallas O this year averages 10.3 points more than the norm, etc.
why is everyone skipping 2018 win a playoff game against Seattle and get to the 2nd round ..this is after an unlikely late run much similar to this early run..no one wants to give credit to garett or what? zeke won the rushing crown etc

explain the Omission

Reid1boys

Reaction score
All good points . And I think this is a good team similar to the ones you mentioned .

But I think the bigger argument or concern is how will we match up in the playoffs against AZ, GB, LA and Tampa??

I wasnt going there. I wasnt looking at the rest of the NFC. I wasnt trying to say what this team MIGHT due compared to what we know the others did. I was simply trying to point out the ridiculousness of saying this current team is so much better than the others AFTER LOOKING AT ALL 4 TEAMS AFTER 7 GAMES. I get it, we are all excited, and recency bias is a real thing. Thats why I pointed out the numbers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Again, this is what bothers me. what data do you have to show that this team is "Mentally tougher."
It is my opinion, people have a sour taste in their mouth due to the playoff end result of those teams, so they say, "My eyeballs tell me,".. blah blah blah. Bottom line is after SEVEN games, this team is no better than the years I listed.

In the end, it may show they are much better, bgut we need to wait and see.

I was in Seattle in 2014 when we punched that team in the mouth when they still had the 12th man and legion of boom breaking their 729 game home win streak. Yea, that takes some mental toughness to do, no?
That 2014 team was closet IMO of reaching a championship game. And that offense was the most effective with Murray pounding the rock and not relying so heavily on Romo.

And we were basically a bad call away from reaching our first championship game this era. That to me was the most heartbreaking loss this era.

After I attended that Lion playoff win I truly thought that team had a good shot to break thru. My favorite team this era.

Unfortunately Romo and those Triplets never took the field together again. I really thought that core could be a force for several years to come .

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Wow! I'm jealous dude. That would have been a great moment in history to witness in person. That's awesome
yes it was... interesting story on how I got tickets. This was back before internet ticket sales. I live 90 minutes from where Candlestick Park used to be. In the divisional game, once it became apparent we would be in SF the following week, I pulled out the local paper classifieds and looked up who was selling their niner tickets for the divisional rd. I called that same number and asked if they would be selling NFC title game tickets. They said yes, $150 each, and I bought 4 tickets. 2 Cowboy fans and 2 niners fans. We gave them crap the whole drive home. What a great day that was.