Are you a TDay traditionalist?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know people that look forward to this day of gluttony with great anticipation but I have never liked the traditional turkey and dressing and that green bean casserole needs to be body slammed into a dumpster.

As a kid, all I would eat were rolls, the jellied cranberry sauce, the sweet potato casserole and olives and pickles.

In !985, I fried my first turkey in Baton Rouge, and because of the size of the crawfish pot, turkey fryers didn't exist then, and the cost of the oil, I had 3 friends come over and they brought turkeys. We had Bloody Mary's, Mimosa's and beer and that was the last time were allowed frying turkeys without supervision by the wardens.

But, the best part of that was the fried turkey skin and resulting gumbo with andouille and tasso that weekend. The gumbo was special.

So, if I am going to be thankful, I need some chow to be thankful for so the traditional stuff is out. How about you? T&D and the trimmings or are you a rogue like me?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Never liked turkey.

My Thanksgiving meal usually has been cranberry sauce, rolls, mashed potatoes with corn...seconds/thirds on the rolls.

Lately my mom has been cooking a roast, so I have added that.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I am now. When I was a kid and all the way into my 30's I didn't enjoy traditional Thanksgiving. I think part of that was that my mom was a crappy cook. When I married and started having traditional Thanksgiving prepared by her family, I really started to change my tune. Now I love it and really look forward to it. My wife and I have done the cooking for the last few years now and I'm starting to get really good at it.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I'm Canadian, but I'm thinking of cooking up a turkey breast mashed potatoes and veggies...and of course the turkey day games.

Hardline

Reaction score
I love a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
And I love all the turkey and ham sandwiches from the leftovers the next day.
After that I don't want anything to do with it until the traditional Christmas dinner.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A small amount of turkey but lots of ham for me. I do like most of the sides but green beans.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
No turkey. Italian and American Cold cuts early, followed by Beef tenderloin and/or lamb chops. Mash potatoes, baked potatoes, corn, gravy etc etc. Italian pastries and ricotta cheesecake. Got bored with the turkey about 10 years ago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No turkey. Italian and American Cold cuts early, followed by Beef tenderloin and/or lamb chops. Mash potatoes, baked potatoes, corn, gravy etc etc. Italian pastries and ricotta cheesecake. Got bored with the turkey about 10 years ago.
Italian pastries and cheesecake? Glutton.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So you're hot dogs and nachos?

No over the last 10 years have been staying at Embassy Suite and they have a great Thanksgiving Day meal. Other times it has been shaky at best, one year the hotel I was at was serving Turkey in a can. It was as bad as it sounds. lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No over the last 10 years have been staying at Embassy Suite and they have a great Thanksgiving Day meal. Other times it has been shaky at best, one year the hotel I was at was serving Turkey in a can. It was as bad as it sounds. lol
LMAO, I've seen canned hams but turkeys?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LMAO, I've seen canned hams but turkeys?

They had a big container on a warmer and every so often one of the hotel people would open up this big can of canned Turkey. It was awful, it was also the last time I stayed there for Thanksgiving.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ham is great on turkey day as well...
Do they call it Ham Day in the frozen north? No, didn't think so.

Ya know what I don't get? Well, one thing I don't get. Why in the hell do they feel it is necessary to show all of the pre oven turkeys all milling around in the yard? What the hell? Why not show cows standing around before a Wendy's ad? Ever notice Chick-Fil-A doesn't show chickens? They've been showing those turkeys as long as I can remember.

That's like the BBQ restaurants that put cute pigs like Porky on their signs. I don't want to eat Porky or Babe, I want a pig that murdered a family of four in Iowa.