Areas for defensive improvement to make a deep playoff run

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like most Cowboys fans, I’m excited about our defense’s improvement this year. Their ability to get TOs (they are 2nd in the league with 14!) is a huge reason we are 5-1. It’s a young aggressive defense that is certainly on the upswing.

But if we are being honest without the fan glasses, our defense still has a very long way to go. If we’re going to have a defense that is playoff ready, we must improve defensively in some key areas, because even though our offense is top shelf, there are often playoff games where a great offense runs into a good or great D.

With that in mind, here are some areas we must improve if we’re going to have a serious playoff run:

• Points per game, giving up 24.3. The most important defensive stat. Not terrible, but that needs to improve because the better teams we may face in the playoffs tend to be able to make your offense score less. We can’t always depend on the offense alone to win games.
  • 3rd down conversion rate- we have improved to 9th in the league with a 35% rate. But it’s way better at home (31%) than the road (41%). That’s an important stat in the playoffs, especially if playing on the road.
  • Our 6.3 yards per play is 29th in the NFL. (Without the 14 TOs we’ve had, we would all be talking about how we are still getting gashed for big plays)
  • We are ranked 28th in yards per passing attempt with 7.4. This represents giving up too many big plays in the passing game. Like the Mac Jones bomb in the last two min vs pats last week.
  • We have 11 sacks, which is ok, but that ranks us 23rd. We could really use an improvement there.
Our defense is certainly better and still improving. But I want to see us get better in the above areas and I will feel even better about our playoff chances.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is decreasing the chunk plays. I know Quinn in his staff during the bye are looking to correct these things. There are portions of the game where this defense plays quality defense only to give up a couple of chunk plays that hurt us. I'm sure you can look at all aspects of the defense and find areas to improve on but right now I think the biggest issue is giving up some big plays in games.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is decreasing the chunk plays. I know Quinn in his staff during the bye are looking to correct these things. There are portions of the game where this defense plays quality defense only to give up a couple of chunk plays that hurt us. I'm sure you can look at all aspects of the defense and find areas to improve on but right now I think the biggest issue is giving up some big plays in games.

Agree 100%........I think if we reduce the chunk plays by at least 50%, a lot of other neg stats will improve.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good point. I think this young secondary is still learning how to play together and still learning how their coverage packages are supposed to work. Hopefully this gets better with time.

visionary

Reaction score
Been saying it for last few weeks

This defense is below average if not fir the turnovers which are hit or miss

If we want to seriously compete for a SB we need

1. a real impact 1T in the worst way
2. Discipline and better tackling from players
3. Better LB play and better safety play

RicKospia

Reaction score
Like most Cowboys fans, I’m excited about our defense’s improvement this year. Their ability to get TOs (they are 2nd in the league with 14!) is a huge reason we are 5-1. It’s a young aggressive defense that is certainly on the upswing.

But if we are being honest without the fan glasses, our defense still has a very long way to go. If we’re going to have a defense that is playoff ready, we must improve defensively in some key areas, because even though our offense is top shelf, there are often playoff games where a great offense runs into a good or great D.

With that in mind, here are some areas we must improve if we’re going to have a serious playoff run:

• Points per game, giving up 24.3. The most important defensive stat. Not terrible, but that needs to improve because the better teams we may face in the playoffs tend to be able to make your offense score less. We can’t always depend on the offense alone to win games.
  • 3rd down conversion rate- we have improved to 9th in the league with a 35% rate. But it’s way better at home (31%) than the road (41%). That’s an important stat in the playoffs, especially if playing on the road.
  • Our 6.3 yards per play is 29th in the NFL. (Without the 14 TOs we’ve had, we would all be talking about how we are still getting gashed for big plays)
  • We are ranked 28th in yards per passing attempt with 7.4. This represents giving up too many big plays in the passing game. Like the Mac Jones bomb in the last two min vs pats last week.
  • We have 11 sacks, which is ok, but that ranks us 23rd. We could really use an improvement there.
Our defense is certainly better and still improving. But I want to see us get better in the above areas and I will feel even better about our playoff chances.
We have to stop giving up big plays !

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The areas the defense must improve on if we’re going to make a deep playoff run is a more consistent pass rush, have to reduce the chunk plays and we have to get offenses off the field on 3rd down and come up with critical stops when the game is on the line.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
On gains of 20 or more yards Cowboys are 3rd from the bottom. Yet this defense is 9th overall on 3rd down stops, not great but not bad. The big plays is something this team needs to fix. Personally I see more positives than negatives with this defense and this defense has been contributing to wins I also feel they will continue to improve. They are playing fast and with confidence but in terms of big plays they need to eliminate those.

Aven8

Reaction score
As nice as it been we have a lot of players that have played and a ton of people switching positions etc. Micha has yet to have that game at MLB yet as well. A couple out for protocol for weeks, Jaylon gone now, Dlaw and Gally out. Joseph out. Lots of moving parts here. Having said that they have this ability to make big plays in crucial parts of the games.

Kazee strip fumble against Tampa near goal line.
Gregory strip sack last week while NE was driving.
Diggs all the time….

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm actually happy with being good enough to win the current game.

Some folks are waiting for a dominant type defense and it's not going to happen, but we don't necessarily need to be that.

IMO today's game is much more about making the most of possessions and having the ball last.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good point. I think this young secondary is still learning how to play together and still learning how their coverage packages are supposed to work. Hopefully this gets better with time.

Actually one of the assistant coaches blames poor tackling for most of the chunk plays. Lots run after catch yards coz our guys aren't wrapping up or tackling.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm actually happy with being good enough to win the current game.

Some folks are waiting for a dominant type defense and it's not going to happen, but we don't necessarily need to be that.

IMO today's game is much more about making the most of possessions and having the ball last.

I disagree I do think this defense can and will elevate their level of play. This unit has only played together for 6 games and with more parts of the defense sliding into the rotation and more experienced gained by younger players I think this defense can elevate the level of play

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
On gains of 20 or more yards Cowboys are 3rd from the bottom. Yet this defense is 9th overall on 3rd down stops, not great but not bad. The big plays is something this team needs to fix. Personally I see more positives than negatives with this defense and this defense has been contributing to wins I also feel they will continue to improve. They are playing fast and with confidence but in terms of big plays they need to eliminate those.

What this tells me is we are not far from being a solid defense, not elite but solid.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What this tells me is we are not far from being a solid defense, not elite but solid.

Solid is good but I still think they can and will get better as the season moves on. There are some young guys learning on the job and making good plays guys like Parson, Golston, Osa, Cox who will only get better then you start adding parts back to the defense DLaw and Gallimore will only make the rotation on defense stronger.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually one of the assistant coaches blames poor tackling for most of the chunk plays. Lots run after catch yards coz our guys aren't wrapping up or tackling.
We’ve had tackling issues for years. Tackling at all levels of football has become a lost art. We don’t teach proper tackling techniques to young players much anymore and even at this level, too many players are just grab tackling instead of true tackling form.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

The return of DLaw and Gallimore should be a big boost for our DL and the lack of pass rush. Have to due a better job with all those chunk plays given up, Whitt has stated more about lack of tackling, which needs to improve.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The shocking thing is Diggs accounts for 50% of the Dallas defensive turnovers. That said, the Dallas d-line needs to be able to get more consistent pressure on the opposing QB while also being more solid against the run (giving up 4.3 YPC so far).
Keeping in mind the injuries and that the younger players are being relied on more, I think this is an adjustment season for the Dallas defense wherein guys like Diggs, Parsons, Osa, and Cox are going to become the faces of the defense and there will be a major change in personnel the next season or two.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We’ve had tackling issues for years. Tackling at all levels of football has become a lost art. We don’t teach proper tackling techniques to young players much anymore and even at this level, too many players are just grab tackling instead of true tackling form.

Exactly .....in fact, if I remember correctly, we made tackling a priority when we drafted DBs a few years ago. ( guys that came in with Jordan Lewis)