Armchair Coaches - How Do You Use 21 and 20 Together?

jsb357

Reaction score
A competent organization ...

Knowing Garrett and company however....

this.jpg

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don’t see them on the field together much.
Pollard will be the backup, get a series per quarter, maybe, used on some pass situations.
Possibly Together at times when Pollard gets into the pattern from backfield as a sort of second slot guy while Zeke is part of protection and screens. And certainly, if Pollard makes some plays in the pass game, I would expect some double screens with Zeke getting the ball.

Bottom line, I think I’d use Pollard enough in the pass game to get attention, and then I’d use them together so Pollard pulls attention away from Zeke, and I give the draws, screens, etc to Zeke with more room to operate.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Cobb is our slot. Pollard will relieve Zeke on 3rd down and probably for a couple of series each half. Either way our running game us gonna be sick!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think there will be times both lineup together and given the fact both are very good in the passing game you will see one staying in to take the hand off or block as the other is sent out into the rout. Neither will be a lead blocker for the other but there is a lot you can do to keep defense guessing on run or pass

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Having a special personnel group and formation where you have two plays that teams pick up on in less than a quarter is such a Garrett thing to do.

If you are going to play them together, you better have enough play options for the personnel group that teams can't sit on a few things.

JBond

Reaction score
I am wondering about both in the backfield and the possibilities.

What would you do to get both of these guys on the field together?

Motion Pollard to the slot.
From the slot Jet Sweep Pollard or fake Jet Sweep
Flair Pollard to the flat on play-action
Run Pollard into the line and toss sweep to Zeke

It seems you have something new for this team and utilizing both will causes defenses to focus on Zeke, but once Pollard shows something, then what?

Obviously I am not an offensive coordinator.

Opinions?
I don't have a ton to contribute to this thread, other than to thank you for creating and actual thread about football.

shabazz

Reaction score
Both deep behind the QB...QB takes the snap and turns around to hand off...and you don't know which back has the ball. Pollard races off to the left and Zeke to the right.... But SURPRISE! Dak kept the ball and throws deep to Gallup who's racing uncovered down the left hashmarks...

overthrown.

Aren't you glad I'm not the OC? lol

More likely, UNDERTHROWN, but I like the way your thinking. The guy who said "Wishbone" is on the right track too. Keep the passing to the minimum.

JBond

Reaction score
Why are we so convinced that Pollard is the real deal like he was the 4th pick in the entire draft. Pollard wasn't the top dog in college. Henderson of the Rams was the #1 back. Pollard was not 1a, he was the 2nd option. I hope he thrives but I just dont get the hype after a 15 carry preseason. Its Jerry and the media circus that's created this unsubstantiated hype. Btw, Weber is just as impressive with more carries.
Or... you can watch the kid's college film and understand he a has nice skill set that should be effective in the NFL if utilized correctly.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Pollard IF he blossoms into the hype created in PS, id say use him more then other backs we've had behind zeke..

dont just split him out, let him spell zeke and I mean take miles off EE legs and hat will give Pollard experience, keeps Zeke fresh, and if you use him like RB and use both EE and Pollard as pas catchers, you dont tip your hand o plays when they come in and out.. Zeke will carry the load but having a true rb2 if Pollard can produce, will help Zeke extend career but more important he will have Juice left in big late in the year games like the playoffs..fresh legs..
Win Win

Pollard will have to earn his snaps, regular season is NOT the preseason..so time will tell on just how much play time he gets..

fansince68

Reaction score
Or... you can watch the kid's college film and understand he a has nice skill set that should be effective in the NFL if utilized correctly.
Oh I have watched. I'm a "prove it" kind of person. College film is not always reliable. There are lots of college 1,000 yard backs that are on the bench, practice squad, or out of the league. I hope he balls out and can spell Zeke enough to keep him fresh late in games and late in the season. I heard that Pollard has talent on kickoffs. It would be good if he can do punt returns also. Most kick offs are touch backs which neutralizes that skill. I hope Pollard is a beast on screen passes, wheel routes, and shallow crossing routes.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Pollard will get his best chance the first 4 games , I believe Zeke will get say 17 carries against the giants plus some catches, maybe 19-20 the second week and be worked back in slowly.. Pollard will have shot at the most snaps early on and prove if hes any good or the preseason hype machine 2.0..

Hopefully 20 is extra motivated to take full advantage early on and show us what hes got and get the coaches attention..id like Zekes load lowered and have him fresh later in the year when the schedule is tougher..

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
First of all, good thread @TwoDeep3

I think Pollard will be used exactly like Kamara, who is the player he is most often compared to.

Kamara gets about 20 touches a game - 12 to 15 carries and 5 to 8 receptions. Zeke will still get his touches but they’ll be less and he’ll get less in the red zone (Kamara has 16 touchdowns last year with those touches).

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am wondering about both in the backfield and the possibilities.

What would you do to get both of these guys on the field together?

Motion Pollard to the slot.
From the slot Jet Sweep Pollard or fake Jet Sweep
Flair Pollard to the flat on play-action
Run Pollard into the line and toss sweep to Zeke

It seems you have something new for this team and utilizing both will causes defenses to focus on Zeke, but once Pollard shows something, then what?

Obviously I am not an offensive coordinator.

Opinions?
Zeke is a pretty good receiver and decent route runner. so having both in the back field provides us with option to move both, one or the other and keep defense guessing. its a 21 look that can be a 11 easily or even a 01 or start as a 20 and be 10 package. defenses should have hell of a time trying to defend it.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I don't have a ton to contribute to this thread, other than to thank you for creating and actual thread about football.

You're welcome. Evidently I have little to contribute. Nice of you to say.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Put Witten on the bench and the options are endless. When your TE can be covered with a DE the defenses options are endless too.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Look at how the Patriots used guys like James White, Shane Vereen and Kevin Faulk over the years. That's the template.

Dre11

Reaction score
Why are we so convinced that Pollard is the real deal like he was the 4th pick in the entire draft. Pollard wasn't the top dog in college. Henderson of the Rams was the #1 back. Pollard was not 1a, he was the 2nd option. I hope he thrives but I just dont get the hype after a 15 carry preseason. Its Jerry and the media circus that's created this unsubstantiated hype. Btw, Weber is just as impressive with more carries.

Yes shown his versatility, we know he can catch, we know he has speed, we know he can run some inside. Of course he has to do it when the season start, but he did show he has those skill sets

DanA

Reaction score
I bet we barely see both of them on the field at the same time. While New Orleans is held up as a great example of two back sets they weren't effective when using it. Just about every team has been more effective in 11 personnel.