Video: Arrington: Cowboys won't regret passing on long-term contract with Dak Prescott

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean the Cowboys were, not just Dak. Dak and the offense put up 32 ppg, although too many fumbles, and the defense gave up 36 ppg, so it was the overall team that was failing. As for the “miracle”, clearly Dak was a big key to that happening.
I'm in a discussion with rocyaice....he claims "dak is winning despite the team".

That's the kind of mentality we're dealing with here.

I'm with other people who say they are neither for nor against this contract talk. But any discussion has to include reasonable rational logic...on both sides. Dak put up some numbers...but didn't really "win". But of course not necessarily his fault. But....he must take the losses just the same.

He CLEARLY isn't "winning games". But people have lost their minds...on both sides.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because there is a salary cap in place that must be adhered to. If you give your QB 1/5th of the pie, it's going to be very hard to be able to financially surround that overpaid QB with a SB capable team. That's just a fact. Basic Economics 101 and key to any business.
Of course it’s a fact but it’s not the players responsibility to manage the other 53 man roster. That’s on the owners.

I think the bigger priority is fielding a consistent competitive team . And these over paid Franchise QB’s provide that on the most part. Fans get too wrapped up in winning a Super Bowl. That’s not a true measurement of success for the other 31 teams each year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm in a discussion with rocyaice....he claims "dak is winning despite the team".

That's the kind of mentality we're dealing with here.

I'm with other people who say they are neither for nor against this contract talk. But any discussion has to include reasonable rational logic...on both sides. Dak put up some numbers...but didn't really "win". But of course not necessarily his fault. But....he must take the losses just the same.

He CLEARLY isn't "winning games". But people have lost their minds...on both sides.
He’s certainly makes the games more competitive and interesting.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This notion we can’t surround Dak if we over paying him simply isn’t as true as some want to paint. We’ve already surrounded him offensively.

Defensively we need to make better decisions in the draft and manage the contracts like with Jaylen, Lee and LVE smarter. Players who are under performing or can’t stay on the field. Those decisions could be hurting us more than over paying our QB.

InTheZone

Reaction score
If you can lay out an intelligent case, please do so. Most people will consider what you have to say if you do that. If all you can muster is lame insults you just make yourself look bad
To be fair insults are thrown over basic, thought out, or troll posts...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I have no idea what this team would look going forward with a QB on a reasonable contract, with all the weapons we now have on offense, and that would also allowed us to fill the enormous amount of holes we have on all sides of the ball.

I 100% know what this team looks like with a QB that was playing out of his mind (and would not have been able to sustain that level of play) with enormous amounts of holes on all sides of the ball. It looks like 1-3.

I'm willing to take my chances on the unknown instead of paying someone 40+ million and gutting an already depleted roster to do it. I watched that show for 4 weeks. I don't want to see it again.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't think Dallas will get two firsts. Why would a team invest multiple premium picks and a ton of money if they haven't seen him play post injury? Other teams will also know if Dallas is shopping Dak they have to move him.
Only takes ONE we have seen it before teams reach for players especially QBS . i mean look what the rams gave for Stafford, insane to get rid of their qb ..it happens and i believe can happen..lets see thats the point NETAG lets check out the offers..if we dont get the offers we like and dak sees this agent sees this maybe an actual team friendly deal commences..id do it TODAY hang the NETAG on him now..i want to see market and interest for dak..

its will end this 3 year nightmare of debate..man i need it to end this is the most tired subject here, groundhog day of all conversations..

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
This notion we can’t surround Dak if we over paying him simply isn’t as true as some want to paint. We’ve already surrounded him offensively.

Defensively we need to make better decisions in the draft and manage the contracts like with Jaylen, Lee and LVE smarter
. Players who are under performing or can’t stay on the field. Those decisions could be hurting us more than over paying our QB.

Excellent points.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To me it’s silly. I’m not losing a franchise quarterback because I don’t want to pay a extra 2 million or another year.
what silly is dak wanting that 2mil this isnt about 2mil now 2 seasons ago it was about 32-33 now its 35 then its oh i dont want 5 years blah blah blah,.,im over it and no longer care if hes here or not..im ready to move on from this debate,,most exhausting subject on here outside of defensing zeke..zekes 15mil that he just now will start making pales in comparison to making a 40mil mistake with dak..i mean not even close..

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
what silly is dak wanting that 2mil this isnt about 2mil now 2 seasons ago it was about 32-33 now its 35 then its oh i dont want 5 years blah blah blah,.,im over it and no longer care if hes here or not..im ready to move on from this debate,,most exhausting subject on here outside of defensing zeke..zekes 15mil that he just now will start making pales in comparison to making a 40mil mistake with dak..i mean not even close..

Well does it pale in comparison when Romo was paid elite money as a mistake too?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well does it pale in comparison when Romo was paid elite money as a mistake too?
romo didnt push the structure and be extra greedy...

as matter of fact ALL players Jerry signed to huge deals allowed a team friendly structure, romo wasn't looking 3 years down the road to cash in again, he knew jerry would take care of his and lets keep it 100 real , Dak and his agent decided they wanted it ALL no team friendly structures, max money max bonuss and short term..sorry this is all on dak not the Jonses..

those is all about greed and ego now..

any player outside of elite that gets elite money isnt going to earn it but at least they have some gratitude and help the organization with years and structure..Dak ss not and thats why we are here at the tag once again,.,

next

USArmyVet

Reaction score

While I personally disagreed with the Romo extension, his highest salary cap figure was $24.7M in 2017 when the salary cap was $167M.....so Romo's salary accounted for 14.8% of the total team salary.

With talk of the 2021 NFL salary cap being set around $180M, that means if Dak is re-signed his cap figure would have to be around $26.7M in 2021 in order to match Romo's 14.8% of total team salary......something I do not see happening so to answer your question.....yes, Dak's deal would make Romo's deal pale in comparison.

Oh, and Romo signed a 6-year deal with Dallas in 2013 at the age of 33 knowing full well that was his last contract for his NFL career whereas Dak, who will be 28 years old in July, is holding firm on wanting a 4-year contract so he can cash in again at age 32. While that may be a smart business move for Dak, it shows the vast difference between the Romo contract approach and Dak's. If Dak knows he will possibly cash in on another contract in 4 or 5 years, then why would he not take a little less now to help the team improve on defense instead of holding out for as much as he can get now????

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
While I personally disagreed with the Romo extension, his highest salary cap figure was $24.7M in 2017 when the salary cap was $167M.....so Romo's salary accounted for 14.8% of the total team salary.

With talk of the 2021 NFL salary cap being set around $180M, that means if Dak is re-signed his cap figure would have to be around $26.7M in 2021 in order to match Romo's 14.8% of total team salary......something I do not see happening so to answer your question.....yes, Dak's deal would make Romo's deal pale in comparison.

While I'm the first to note I'm not "capologist", would have to say there probably is a way to get his cap hit to around $26.7 mil, but I'll leave that up to the Cowboys and Dak...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Well weren't we supposed to hear that they had a deal done by this morning?

But..........no.

These "reports" are like the predictions as to when the world is coming to an end, worthless.

Why anybody would believe any of the "reports" never ceases to amaze.

Of course make enough predictions enough times and you have a 50-50 shot at being right, then when somebody does get it "right" nobody remembers that....:omg:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
While I'm the first to note I'm not "capologist", would have to say there probably is a way to get his cap hit to around $26.7 mil, but I'll leave that up to the Cowboys and Dak...

Yes, I am sure there is a way to make that happen but my concern is the other deals that will need to be restructured to bring Dak back thereby further kicking more money down the road and possibly incurring more cap penalties via dead money.

egn22

Reaction score
If you just looked at Daks career numbers and he didn’t play for the Cowboys.... and there was a chance for us to sign him, everyone here would be falling over themselves to get him.
He’s right where we want him and people are saying he’s “above average” and he’s not worth signing.
If the alternative is hoping to draft a better QB, the only option is to sign him. That’s it

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score