As Cowboys fans, do we deserve more?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think fans deserve more. They pay the bills, fill the stadium and support the team. The owner in turn should actually be driven to win postseason football games.
That's all fans, Biggie, I was speaking specifically about Cowboys fans and that entitlement feeling.

Hey, I can remember when all of the Cowboy hate started and I do not attribute that to Landry or Staubach or winning or the America's Team thing, which surely didn't help. It was the fans and their arrogance about football. I heard and saw a lot of that first hand.

Big_D

Reaction score
That's all fans, Biggie, I was speaking specifically about Cowboys fans and that entitlement feeling.

Hey, I can remember when all of the Cowboy hate started and I do not attribute that to Landry or Staubach or winning or the America's Team thing, which surely didn't help. It was the fans and their arrogance about football. I heard and saw a lot of that first hand.

The popularity was why they were hated. Being called America's Team etc. If I wasn't a Cowboys fan I'd hate that too. lol BUT Specifically speaking about Cowboy fans.. you have an owner for a quarter of a century whose terrible decisions far outweigh the smart ones. I think fans deserve better. That's not arrogance or a sense of entitlement. Sure there are arrogant fans, but it's still a matter of having a front office who shows a sense of urgency. It's just not there.

Silly

Reaction score
Dallas won in a very week division. It just doesn't inspire confidence. The offense is hot and cold under garret. In the top 10 4 seasons and stagnant 5 season. Garret has 5 losing seasons and 3 winning seasons. In every winning season Garret lost the playoff game. Should we be high-fiving Cowboys success?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was a fan of my local team before we ever made the playoffs and attended games for 4 decades just 15 minutes from the house. Winning no doubt makes it more fun but that’s not why I follow the game and my favorite team.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nice post. A bit of perspective is helpful. Some of the older guys were spoiled by Landry's 17-year playoff run, 8 conference championship game appearances, 5 SB appearances and 2 titles, and by that 90s dynasty. Instead of valuing them for the magical times that they were, the sorts of times that haven't come around much to fanbases outside of NE, SF and Pitt, they think those times somehow set the standard. Such nonsense. There are 32 teams all doing their best to win in this league. Playoff participant turnover year to year is 50%. It's a hyper-competitive league in which it's tough to have success. The recent string of 3 NFC East titles in 5 years is noteworthy and encouraging. Pity the fan who can't see it as such.
Shame on fans falling victim to believing that was the norm. I appreciated every one of those seasons. And it’s helped me thru losing in the Ice Bowl, the heartbreaks in the Super Bowl and championship games, etc.

Each season stands on its own merit. We should never take them for granted and feel it entitles us to future success and championship bouts.

Trophies in a case and banners hanging from the rafters honor a storied history providing us much pride and bragging rights to look back on but it doesn’t necessarily represent the current status or future.

CapnCook

Reaction score
I think the fans, players, coaches, franchise, legacy, et al, deserve a full-time GM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The popularity was why they were hated. Being called America's Team etc. If I wasn't a Cowboys fan I'd hate that too. lol BUT Specifically speaking about Cowboy fans.. you have an owner for a quarter of a century whose terrible decisions far outweigh the smart ones. I think fans deserve better. That's not arrogance or a sense of entitlement. Sure there are arrogant fans, but it's still a matter of having a front office who shows a sense of urgency. It's just not there.
Yes , that’s created the Apathy many fans have developed with Jerry’s ways. Winning football games isn’t the top priority anymore and why it’s difficult for many of us old Diehards to hold the same respect and expectations. The Bar has been lowered.

It is what is. Most of waved the white flag and moved on or follow from a distance but still are fond for their beloved franchise even if it might be more for what the Star used to represent. We still follow football, it’s our local broadcasted game and continue to watch but not with the same intensity on the edge of our chair.

And I’ve always hated the America’s Team label. It’s created exactly what Landry was afraid it would. A target on our backs but Tex Schramm was as big of Pimp as Jerry is . He just let Tom run football operations which is where Jerry has failed us since Jimmy left.

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I've had this feeling for a very long time, going back to the old DC.com forum and don't get me wrong, fine for fans to vent and complain but some of ours borders on entitlement.

If someone were to come here without knowing the past 5 year history, would they guess that this team has won the East 3 of those 5 years? Or made a historic, for this franchise, turnaround from 3-5 to winning the division going 7-1? Or had two rookie players in the conversation for not only Rookie of the Year but Most Valuable Offensive Player? How often does that happen, any of that?

Hey, I am no Pollyanna but some here make me feel like I am. Nothing's good enough, we are more deserving because?

We blame the FO for the lack of talent and the coaching for the lack of results. Does that make sense?

As fans, we want more, want to advance beyond the division round, our usual stopping point. But what about the 24 teams' fanbases that didn't get to see their team advance that far? And sure as hell not from 3-5 at the midpoint.

The Colts fans are disappointed and believe it or not, they were once a chest beating ruler just as the Cowboys were. They were dead and buried to start the season and came close to going to the AFCCG but did any of their fans even expect to be playing in a game to go to that game earlier in the season? Do you think those fans are as down as ours because we only made it to the division round?

Hey, do what you want but if you read this forum objectively and try to use an outsider's viewpoint, you will see what I see. Far too much entitlement posting and based on what? Those fans being SB or Bust fans? I don't watch them to see them play, I watch them to see them win fans.

All I am asking is to just stop and think about where a really negative post is coming from? What is that based on, expectations not met which only you are responsible for, or reality. And learn to recognize an overachieving team based on their talent level.

Anyway, I've had my say, just as I did on the old forum, just needed to get that off my chest because there are better and more knowledgeable football fans on this forum for it to take on that vibe.
Blame Tex Schramm, Tom Landry, Gil Brandt, and Jimmy Johnson.

Cowboys are America's team and America is about winning it all or at least getting to the position to win it all. From 1966 to 1995 the Dallas Cowboys were in 16 NFC/NFL Championship games (16 of 30 years). Also, during that time the Cowboys had only 5 losing seasons (5 of 30 years).

I signed up for actually competing with the expectation of a playoff caliber team to win the Super Bowl every year.

So yes, Cowboys fans deserve better because better was what the Dallas Cowboys were all about on the football field and off the football field.

75boyz

Reaction score
I've had this feeling for a very long time, going back to the old DC.com forum and don't get me wrong, fine for fans to vent and complain but some of ours borders on entitlement.

If someone were to come here without knowing the past 5 year history, would they guess that this team has won the East 3 of those 5 years? Or made a historic, for this franchise, turnaround from 3-5 to winning the division going 7-1? Or had two rookie players in the conversation for not only Rookie of the Year but Most Valuable Offensive Player? How often does that happen, any of that?

Hey, I am no Pollyanna but some here make me feel like I am. Nothing's good enough, we are more deserving because?

We blame the FO for the lack of talent and the coaching for the lack of results. Does that make sense?

As fans, we want more, want to advance beyond the division round, our usual stopping point. But what about the 24 teams' fanbases that didn't get to see their team advance that far? And sure as hell not from 3-5 at the midpoint.

The Colts fans are disappointed and believe it or not, they were once a chest beating ruler just as the Cowboys were. They were dead and buried to start the season and came close to going to the AFCCG but did any of their fans even expect to be playing in a game to go to that game earlier in the season? Do you think those fans are as down as ours because we only made it to the division round?

Hey, do what you want but if you read this forum objectively and try to use an outsider's viewpoint, you will see what I see. Far too much entitlement posting and based on what? Those fans being SB or Bust fans? I don't watch them to see them play, I watch them to see them win fans.

All I am asking is to just stop and think about where a really negative post is coming from? What is that based on, expectations not met which only you are responsible for, or reality. And learn to recognize an overachieving team based on their talent level.

Anyway, I've had my say, just as I did on the old forum, just needed to get that off my chest because there are better and more knowledgeable football fans on this forum for it to take on that vibe.

My negativity and impatience/frustration/jealousy stem from both the extended duration of time since the last championship and not even coming close to "lucking out or having the Cinderella year" that several other NFC teams have had in the time elapsed since the last trophy.

Plenty of NFC teams have both participated in or won a Lombardi by both skill and luck or both during these past 23 years.

For the Cowboys not to have at least lucked into a chance at a title since 1996, not only goes against the law of averages in my opinion, but teeters on inexplicable reasoning. There is really no ironclad explanation that could explain it in my opinion. That is the root of my problem. Not being able to accept those circumstances while witnessing (in my opinion) lesser teams achieve glory and especially in a couple of specific cases.

JayFord

Reaction score
Nope.

When it stops being fun, stop watching.

Oh it’s almost there, and that’s for sports in general

I’ve gotten to the point I just want the game and that’s it.... no stats no before and after coverage no espn no breakdowns no keeping up with what players are doing

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Cowboys are America's team and America is about winning it all or at least getting to the position to win it all. From 1966 to 1995 the Dallas Cowboys were in 16 NFC/NFL Championship games (16 of 30 years). Also, during that time the Cowboys had only 5 losing seasons (5 of 30 years).

I signed up for actually competing with the expectation of a playoff caliber team to win the Super Bowl every year.

So yes, Cowboys fans deserve better because better was what the Dallas Cowboys were all about on the football field and off the football field.
This right here. Spot on

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

:hammer:

HoplessCowboysFan36

Reaction score

Couldn't agree more! I will say this on behalf of the debbie downers.. 24 years is a long time of disappointment.. that 1992 buffalo superbowl romping is getting old to show to my son. Haha. I will be a fan always and understand the league has fought for parity. They won. Now its just hoping you win the crapshoot.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
A lot of fans view Cowboy fans as entitled. I view those people as haters dipping in other folks kool aid. Whether we should all feel guilty about our fandom or not is decided by the moon god. I know love creed (the band) and religion is banned from this forum but if you feel guilt in your heart for loving the star every Thanksgiving let it out
:oldcouple: