As Cowboys fans, do we deserve more?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not really inclined to feel entitled for more than I get, only to turn around and badmouth the players for it. If I'm unsatisfied with something, I'll either make the best of it or avoid it in the future. My expectations are routinely simple enough to fulfill, thereby making satisfaction a likely result.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've had this feeling for a very long time, going back to the old DC.com forum and don't get me wrong, fine for fans to vent and complain but some of ours borders on entitlement.

If someone were to come here without knowing the past 5 year history, would they guess that this team has won the East 3 of those 5 years? Or made a historic, for this franchise, turnaround from 3-5 to winning the division going 7-1? Or had two rookie players in the conversation for not only Rookie of the Year but Most Valuable Offensive Player? How often does that happen, any of that?

Hey, I am no Pollyanna but some here make me feel like I am. Nothing's good enough, we are more deserving because?

We blame the FO for the lack of talent and the coaching for the lack of results. Does that make sense?

As fans, we want more, want to advance beyond the division round, our usual stopping point. But what about the 24 teams' fanbases that didn't get to see their team advance that far? And sure as hell not from 3-5 at the midpoint.

The Colts fans are disappointed and believe it or not, they were once a chest beating ruler just as the Cowboys were. They were dead and buried to start the season and came close to going to the AFCCG but did any of their fans even expect to be playing in a game to go to that game earlier in the season? Do you think those fans are as down as ours because we only made it to the division round?

Hey, do what you want but if you read this forum objectively and try to use an outsider's viewpoint, you will see what I see. Far too much entitlement posting and based on what? Those fans being SB or Bust fans? I don't watch them to see them play, I watch them to see them win fans.

All I am asking is to just stop and think about where a really negative post is coming from? What is that based on, expectations not met which only you are responsible for, or reality. And learn to recognize an overachieving team based on their talent level.

Anyway, I've had my say, just as I did on the old forum, just needed to get that off my chest because there are better and more knowledgeable football fans on this forum for it to take on that vibe.

Most negative posts come from people that need attention but have no skills to post something informative that would get positive attention.

It's similar to a guy in a public area ranting about the end of the world. He needs attention and can't get it any other way.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
It’s sports so the easy answer is no one deserves anything. We choose to buy tickets, merchandise etc and make them rich.

But if you are an older fan the answer gets murky with what you think you deserve. The first 25 years of my life...70-85....I obviously wasn’t a baby football fan but by 75 was still in the midst of 20 years of greatness where the team was winning from the 60s-80s. After a little dip the 90s happens. So for them be on 23 years later of nothing is strange! I feel like we are getting a raw deal from our owner and HC. Wasting talent. It’s complicated. I had decades of high and a wasteland that seems self imposed while we accept “ok”

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Most negative posts come from people that need attention but have no skills to post something informative that would get positive attention.

It's similar to a guy in a public area ranting about the end of the world. He needs attention and can't get it any other way.
When I see that guy in public I always think of

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Rants ? Entitled ?

Not really , some fans won't cheer for mediocre results, going .500, not making the SB.

I can hear the negativity now:
"We are .500 what else do you want ?!, Gosh you are so entitled ! We've won in the playoffs thrice in 12 years ! What else do you want ?! "

:facepalm:

nobody

Reaction score
giphy.gif

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I've been saying the same thing. The culture around here is sour. You can't even ignore them because it's not just about a snarky post, it's about the tired old bashing that it starts that consumes every thread.

If you say anything about it, they'll start saying things like "people are allowed to express negative opinions even if you disagree" and in the very same post imply you are naive and/or stupid for not seeing how hopeless and awful everything is.

I'm tired of getting called stupid for being a hopeful fan on a fan forum.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I've had this feeling for a very long time, going back to the old DC.com forum and don't get me wrong, fine for fans to vent and complain but some of ours borders on entitlement.

If someone were to come here without knowing the past 5 year history, would they guess that this team has won the East 3 of those 5 years? Or made a historic, for this franchise, turnaround from 3-5 to winning the division going 7-1? Or had two rookie players in the conversation for not only Rookie of the Year but Most Valuable Offensive Player? How often does that happen, any of that?

Hey, I am no Pollyanna but some here make me feel like I am. Nothing's good enough, we are more deserving because?

We blame the FO for the lack of talent and the coaching for the lack of results. Does that make sense?

As fans, we want more, want to advance beyond the division round, our usual stopping point. But what about the 24 teams' fanbases that didn't get to see their team advance that far? And sure as hell not from 3-5 at the midpoint.

The Colts fans are disappointed and believe it or not, they were once a chest beating ruler just as the Cowboys were. They were dead and buried to start the season and came close to going to the AFCCG but did any of their fans even expect to be playing in a game to go to that game earlier in the season? Do you think those fans are as down as ours because we only made it to the division round?

Hey, do what you want but if you read this forum objectively and try to use an outsider's viewpoint, you will see what I see. Far too much entitlement posting and based on what? Those fans being SB or Bust fans? I don't watch them to see them play, I watch them to see them win fans.

All I am asking is to just stop and think about where a really negative post is coming from? What is that based on, expectations not met which only you are responsible for, or reality. And learn to recognize an overachieving team based on their talent level.

Anyway, I've had my say, just as I did on the old forum, just needed to get that off my chest because there are better and more knowledgeable football fans on this forum for it to take on that vibe.
1. Every word is true.

2. It will change nothing.

People love to complain and they’re going to, whether they have reason to or not. Get a group of people together and there will, without fail, be complaining. Then, many of the people who weren’t complaining will start. Soon, a large part of the masses will not only be unsettled... but, feeding off of one another, they reach unimaginable heights of unrest. More unhappiness than could be attained on their own.

It’s a malignancy that could never happen without the assistance of their fellow man.

Why do you think the Roman Senate was afraid of the mob?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I've been saying the same thing. The culture around here is sour. You can't even ignore them because it's not just about a snarky post, it's about the tired old bashing that it starts that consumes every thread.

If you say anything about it, they'll start saying things like "people are allowed to express negative opinions even if you disagree" and in the very same post imply you are naive and/or stupid for not seeing how hopeless and awful everything is.

I'm tired of getting called stupid for being a hopeful fan on a fan forum.
Yep. People often get ridiculed for being excited about a player or position group, what have you.

Just start a thread saying something like: Jeff Heath actually isn’t that bad of a safety. Or: The Dallas front office has been doing a good job for a few years now.

You will be put in your place very quickly.

George Iloka illustrates this phenomenon very well.

When he was cut loose by Cincy last year, the front office was lambasted for not bringing him in. They weren’t doing what was needed to improve the safety position and put Heath on the bench.

And this offseason, before Dallas Signed Iloka, there were threads saying how he should be signed and how much better than Heath he is.

Then, once the Cowboys inked a deal with him, people started immediately saying it was just a band-aid and wasn’t going to help. When Dallas didn’t draft a safety early, the consensus was that Iloka is terrible and probably won’t even beat out Heath. That Dallas blew the draft because they didn’t do more at the safety position. :laugh:

They literally like a player until he becomes a member of their favorite team... and then he sucks.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That was an excellent treatise on fandom, especially for any long time Cowboy fans, especially for any of us that witnessed the glory years. That being said... "Deserves got nothin' to do with it." - Will Munny
Sure is easy to feel entitled, but in the end, we are owed nothing.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

You're damn right!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
As Cowboys fans, we are no more or less deserving than anyone else. It's not about entitlement. It's about seeing what the other NFC East teams have and knowing we are going to kick their ***.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Love your posts coach , I feel your pain as I watch this young team make some progress and have to be bombarded by negative posts in what is supposed to be a Cowboys fan forum .

What many negative posters don't want to face is having Jerry as owner and GM creates challenges other teams just don't have to deal with and Jerry has so much he just dosent have to care what anyone thinks . He has nobody in the world to be accountable to and makes the most money in spite of himself . Till they realize Jerrys comfort level with the people he employs comes first and winning is great as long as he is not made to feel uncomfortable they will continue to be disappointed .

With Jerry as owner and GM fans expectations need to be adjusted as its his hobby and he is going to blunder through it his way because its no fun to pay someone else to do a better job . The more he struggles the greater the challenge and more committed he becomes in conquering it himself . This is our plight as Cowboys fans now . I saw the best of the best so I can sit back and cheer the little victories and hope like heck we build on them without getting too disappointed if we don't .

Best you can do is put these instant gratification seekers on ignore . Start with Matt James pick your next favorite half dozen and end it with Pappy Dog . Your experience on the forum will still be far from perfect but its the best you can hope for LOLOL

A top five Oline dose for the team what Ignore dose for the forum . Makes it enjoyable .

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I was 20 years old the first time I saw the Cowboys have a losing season. It was only the second time I saw them miss the playoffs. I was spoiled at a young age - lots of us were - so we expected more, whether we deserved to or not.

Since then I've become conditioned to expect less - things are going to go wrong, it's just question of how and when. The notion that I deserve more doesn't even cross my mind now. It's sports, not life and death. I'd just like to see the Cowboys win another SB before I die.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Blame Tex Schramm, Tom Landry, Gil Brandt, and Jimmy Johnson.

Cowboys are America's team and America is about winning it all or at least getting to the position to win it all. From 1966 to 1995 the Dallas Cowboys were in 16 NFC/NFL Championship games (16 of 30 years). Also, during that time the Cowboys had only 5 losing seasons (5 of 30 years).

I signed up for actually competing with the expectation of a playoff caliber team to win the Super Bowl every year.

So yes, Cowboys fans deserve better because better was what the Dallas Cowboys were all about on the football field and off the football field.
Our championship history doesn’t guarantee anything. Those accomplishments we are proud of and provides bragging rights but in no way established it was to be the norm. That’s been fabricated by some fans .

This is exactly the mentality which is an issue. Fans hopping on the wagon because of the success we were having. Which means they abandoned another team probably their local or regional team because they weren’t having success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To answer the question , I’d say no, we don’t deserve more. We can certainly want more but entitlements or expectations are all fabricated from fans who came to believe that level of success was intended to be the norm.

The America’s Team label and the amount of wagon fans our earlier championship history attracted has probably created a big part of this mentality.

I’m old enough to recall when Dallas had two professional teams before the Texans moved to Kansas City. They were actually the first team to bring a football championship to Dallas.

We’re all frustrated with how Jerry has operated Cowboys Football but we still can enjoy a season like last year with the greatest comeback in Cowboys history overcoming a losing record to make the playoffs.

Following and supporting your local or regional team is much like following and supporting your Alma Mater or child’s team. Winning just makes it more fun.

Last edited: