Assessing the talent levels on this roster

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I already have Zeke Elliott in the top tier.
I don’t think Bailey kicked in the game Thursday. It was the camp kicker but I can’t think of his name.

One of my criteria with this evaluation was whether or not a guy was a long term player or not. I love Rod Smith- super glad he’s here. But if he continues to play well, which I think he will, he will simply become a cap casualty. Same for some other guys we have that may be here a long time.
This is what I initially thought too Bob, but I wouldnt be surprised to see us resign Rod for less than $2M because the market for RBs is so poor. Morris was very serviceable and he's unemployed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what I initially thought too Bob, but I wouldnt be surprised to see us resign Rod for less than $2M because the market for RBs is so poor. Morris was very serviceable and he's unemployed.
The key question about Rod Smith will probably boil down to this- is he a starter or a backup? If he’s good enough to start somewhere else, we probably can’t afford him. If not, we might.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The key question about Rod Smith will probably boil down to this- is he a starter or a backup? If he’s good enough to start somewhere else, we probably can’t afford him. If not, we might.

I don't see teams valuing Rod as worth more than Doug Martin & CJ Anderson, who have both started throughout their careers, and got contracts worth $1.475M & $1.75M respectively.

It could happen, because as I said I thought Morris would get paid starter money somewhere but isnt even getting free agent meetings. We shall see.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
IMO, all NFL rosters have players of varying degrees of talent. There are layers of talent ranging from All Pro talent to just enough talent to make an NFL roster. In looking at the Cowboys roster, here is a talent estimate of our players, at a long term level. I am basing their category on what they have proven to be so far, along with their long term upside.

Talent Categories, their definitions, and players who qualify

1. All Pro Level-
a player who has already proven to have the talent and performance level as one of the best players in the league. Key here is they have already proven their value over time as one of the best in the league. The proven best.
Our Players in this category: Tyron Smith, DeMarcus Lawrence, Sean Lee, Zack Martin, Travis Frederick, Dan Bailey (if returned to form) and Zeke Elliott.

2. Pro Bowl/Solid Starter Level- players who are solid enough to be a long term starter, maybe occasionally make the Pro Bowl as one of the best in the conference. These are guys who have shown some consistency as a key player.
Our Players in this category: Dak Prescott, La’El Collins, Byron Jones, Cole Beasley, Chris Jones, LP Ladouceuer

3. Young Talent with huge upside- This is where we are loaded. These are young players who have enormous talent but just need to prove it over time to move up into the top two tiers. Many but not all will move up into the top two levels. This is our future!
Our Players in this category- Jaylon Smith, Taco Charlton, Leighton Vander Esch, Connor Williams, Chidobe Awuzie, Michael Gallup, Jourdan Lewis, Randy Gregory

4. Young talent with some upside, but longer shots- these are young players who are talented but are probably never going to be long term starters. Good to have, but probably won’t be here long term.
Our Players in this category- Xavier Woods, Dalton Schultz, Blake Jarwin, Bo Scarborough, Jihad Ward, Kavon Frazier, Lance Lenoir, Malik Collins, Charles Tapper, Rico Gathers, Cedric Wilson, Noah Brown, Chavarius Ward

5. Veterans who can play but not long term answers- these are guys who are veteran players good enough to make an NFL roster, maybe even be a short term starter, but who probably have no long term future with the team.
Our Players in this category: Terrance Williams, Tyrone Crawford, Tavon Austin, Rod Smith, Jeff Heath, Geoff Swaim, Cameron Fleming, Damien Wilson, Deonte Thompson, Joe Looney and some others I didn’t list.

6. Dead men walking- these guys will be cut soon and probably won’t be picked up.
Our guys in this category- Chaz Green, Kony Ealy, Jameil Showers, and a few others I’m too lazy to list.

The GREAT NEWS is, the guys in levels 3 and 4- the young guys with talent and upside are so plentiful, if half of them turn out to be really good starters, this will be an excellent football team! If our top two tiers stay healthy, and half of the middle tier moves up, wow.

I’m sure there are disagreements. Your thoughts?

Your way off. Jones and Beasley belong nowhere near pro bowl type players. Lael Collins is a stretch. And all you did when naming young players with HUGE UPSIDE is name most our young players. Truth be told is that we would be lucky if 2 or 3 of those guys becomes a pro bowl type.

the rest of your list was pretty spot on.

I like Jaylon, VE, Williams as young guys with great upside. The rest are long shots.