At some point, teams are going to shift their thinking on QB contracts

bandfan

Reaction score
I really think the owners have backed themselves into a corner. Just as soon as about 3 or 4 owners started holding firm on QB money next thing you know the union drags them to court for collusion....

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I don't know why every one keep talking about daks contract jerry and Stephen has already said he is going to get paid they are going to keep him whatever it takes that is what is going to happen

CPanther95

Reaction score
I think they'll wait until the next CBA coming up soon. They're going to have to be rethinking lots of things anyway.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Average QB's like Alex Smith and Dalton got paid. So as long as teams are willing to pay those guys better QB's will be getting paid too. Salaries are for the FO to worry about.

pancakeman

Reaction score
These “new philosophy” schemes say if the QB doesn’t take a reasonable contract offer then just franchise him and work on putting in place a cheaper option. But isn’t franchising a player also crazy expensive?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Prescott is going to get a massive contract.

Unkle Jerry took care of that a while back.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
No they aren't. As always qb will be the single hardest position to keep stocked in the NFL. And yes the absolute size of qb contracts continues to grow. But so does the cap. As a percentage of cap we are where we have been for a long time.

Tony signed his extension in 2013 and had 55mm guaranteed. The cap was 123mm. That's 45% of cap.

Cousins signed for 84mm guaranteed in 2018. The cap last year was 177mm. That's 47% of cap.

Nothing is any different now than it was going on a decade ago.

I wish people would do some critical thinking before making declarations like QBs will be devalued and paid less in the future.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think everything runs in cycles, and the QB market has become such a high percentage of the cap that eventually the pendulum will have to swing back the other way.

Running backs were considered the franchise player 20 years ago. Then over time the position became devalued. Now it seems to be going back the other way.

It's one thing to have Tom Brady eating up 10 to 15 percent of your cap, but it's a very different matter if you have Andy Dalton eating up 75 percent of that.

Does a team with Blake Bortles, Andy Dalton, Case Keenam, or the like have a high probability of beating a Brady led team? Probably not, in large part to the QB deficit.

Teams are winning SBs with QBs on their rookie deals. Russell Wilson is a recent example of it, as was Ruthlessraper. Dak won 13 games as a rookie. That just goes to show you that if you surround a young QB with a lot of talent he can win.

Conversely, if you pay a QB to carry your team, he had better be able to carry the team. I like Dak Prescott, even though I think Tony should have been the QB when he was healthy. I'm still a Dak fan. But to pay Dak $30M per year would be beyond stupid.

Offer Dak a good deal. $20M per year for 3 years total is plenty. Then they can check out his contract again in two years. If Dak won't go for that, make him play for peanuts this year and if he looks like he is going to sit out, draft a QB early.

If Dak wants outrageous money (he may not be looking for outrageous money) play him and tag him twice. But realistically, there is no way a team is going to be able to afford to sign a player after that second tag, because all of the leverage goes to the player at that point.

The theory is based on potential and the notion that the older Dak gets the more he will be able to carry the team. Like many of the QB's you mentioned...…..Wilson, Rothl, ect….ect… Which they are doing now.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
No that is what an ignorant fool would say whether you agree or not. An ignorant fool wouldn’t agree.
how about debating his post instead of insulting the poster. Insulting post like that is what brings down the forums.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
how about debating his post instead of insulting the poster. Insulting post like that is what brings down the forums.
Debating a fool like yourself brings down the forum. That’s why I chose not to. It’s an effort in futility.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Debating a fool like yourself brings down the forum. That’s why I chose not to. It’s an effort in futility.
another insult...you're a positive for the forum.. donate more and spew your hate...sad individual

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't know why every one keep talking about daks contract jerry and Stephen has already said he is going to get paid they are going to keep him whatever it takes that is what is going to happen
We're not. Why'd you bring it up?

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
I think teams would like to do that but I don't think it will happen.

Many GMs need to win now to keep their jobs.

How many QBs that make it to the Super Bowl are not either a high draft pick or high paid veteran?

Brady - 27M cap hit in 2018 despite "bargain" contract.

Goff - Top 5 pick.

Wentz - Top 5 pick

Russell Wilson is the only one that comes to mind in recent years that was not a 1st round pick and still on his rookie contract.

Good teams
Want to go for it while they're good plus they have a bottom of the 1st pick.

Middle of the Road teams
Don't have a top 10 pick but if they're middle of the road and need a QB, then they probably have a good roster other than QB. They either need to trade up or pay for a veteran QB. Trading up to top 5 requires many draft picks.

Bad Teams
If they need a QB, they'll draft one; although not always (Cleveland in 2017, Giants in 2018).

I think some teams will take the approach of building up the non-QB talent on the roster before adding the high pick or expensive veteran QB.

In the past bad teams have used high picks on QBs and then dumped then into a terrible roster. By the time the roster is good, that QB is getting close to free agency.

Wentz made it to the Super Bowl? When?