CFZ At some point the clock will strike midnight for Cooper Rush

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

The Cinderella clock is going to strike midnight soon.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think how defense goes so goes Rush. As long as defense is playing as they are Dallas does not have to get into passing wars with anyone. Cowboys get into 3rd and long situation they are not pressing the issue, get some yards and punt the ball and allow defense to get back out there. Rush appears to be smart enough to know defense can bail them out as long as he is not committing big turnovers that would put the defense is bad situations. Keep the scoring down and keep yourself in the game.

foofighters

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong- I admire the way Cooper Rush has played as our backup QB. Being 4-0 in his first 4 starts is nothing to scoff at. He’s been everything he was asked to be and more. And I’m not not a Dak worshipper either. My allegiance is always first and foremost to winning football games, not winning an argument on a football forum.

But I’m amazed at how fast so many of our fans have anointed Cooper Rush as the QB of our future. Four games is an incredibly small sample size to cast your lot with a QB long term.

His arm talent is clearly limited, he’s not very mobile, and the longer he’s expected to lead this offense the harder it will be for him to keep this level of performance going. Defensive coordinators will start figuring out ways to frustrate him the longer there’s tape out there on him.

Looking at Cooper Rush’s stats in college, he had impressive numbers- except- he threw way too many picks. He threw 55 interceptions in 4 years at Central Michigan. He never threw less than 11 in a college season. He’s only thrown one in his 4 starts in Big D, but he’s also been lucky a few times where a penalty wiped out an INT or a defender just dropped it.

Rush’s 4 game heroics reminds me a little of an NBA player who flashed briefly as a hero only to come back down to earth. Remember New York Knicks Point Guard Jeremy Lin? He single-handedly led the Knicks to a 7 game winning streak in 2011 and was hailed after that week as the future at PG despite not being drafted and not being that talented. Once defenses figured him out, the days of “Linsanity” were short lived. He played for six other NBA teams before he retired.

Cooper Rush deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done in his four starts. But IMO, he is far from being the long term answer here at QB. We should enjoy Rush’s glory while we can because the clock is ticking.
Absolutely it will. Defenses will get him reigned in. However, what we see is what we get with him. It's the boy wonder's job to keep our offense going with Cooper Rush. Time will tell.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I think referencing college stats as evidence isn't fair. I know we're comparing apples to oranges, but even Mahomes threw like 30 interceptions in 3 years. Ken Dorsey, one of the greatest college QB's of my lifetime, threw way less picks and didn't amount to anything in the NFL (as a player that is).

Trendnet

Reaction score

Nothing to scoff at.

Proceeds to write 6 paragraphs scoffing at Rush.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Sure, there will be a loss or less than stellar performance. It's going to happen. It happens to everyone. I don't know that anyone is convinced that Rush is a long term solution .... but the window is still open. He might continue to defy the odds and exceed all expectations. Or he might establish himself as a high level backup.

It will all reveal itself in due time.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Many have been frustrated with the past 25+ seasons of Dallas Cowboys football and the seemingly always impending failures. When the defense is playing as well as it has been playing and someone like Rush comes along and is 3-0 this season playing within the system that many screamed for Dak to be doing, of course people are going to route for the success to continue.

That all said, comparing Rush to Brady or MVP talk is out of hand. Rush has shown leadership qualities while being humble in saying the credit belongs to the defense so how about we enjoy the ride for as long as it continues?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Yep. Have been thinking the same thing. He got lucky with a few horrid passes last week. If Dak threw those passes— this board would have melted down lol

I give him a ton of credit and if our OL can win at the LOS, we should be competitive in most games thanks to our defense, but it does feel like the fairytale story is nearing it’s end.

Would love to see Rush shock the champs on Sunday— but it’s a lot to ask from him. Will be rooting for the team to rally and if the D and Special Teams come to party— we may just have a reason to celebrate on Sun night

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Tick tock.....
new-year-countdown-260nw-506415883.jpg

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I wrote this same thing, I think it was on these pages, but wasn't as eloquent as you Bob ! At the beginning of last season Dak was smoking hot with his game until Denver's DC got a good game plan to disrupt his game. It has been used since then to make Dak pretty pedestrian. Same is going to happen to Rush and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. The NYG put a wrinkle in to challenge Rush's arm strength trying to force him to go long. It wasn't quite the right strategy but a better DB group can make him pay. I look for more of that.

But, yes, the more film that's out there the more efficient opposing defenses will get ! Could be this week but I really expect it when we play Philthy.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

Rush is the next Tom Brady. I know because someone here said it. So, instead of that carriage turning into a pumpkin, it's going to turn into a Lamborghini. By the end of the year he's going to have a Lamborghini and a Lombardi. We're going to have to start calling him LL Cooper Rush.
:muttley:

Aven8

Reaction score
If we could get this running game consistently going we could win a lot of games with Rush mimicking the 2016 rookie season with Dak. He’s proven he’s good enough to manage the game and make timely plays to win.

Having said that, similarly to 2016, he’s not good enough to win it all.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Not sure who ever said he was the long term answer here in Dallas, we have been surprised he has done way better than a $1m backup does in the NFL. What he has done is exposed Dak for what he is as well. An average QB, so if he comes in now and doesn't do well with this same offense, and loses several games which he will at $40m a year, what will that tell you? Defenses have also figured him out too. Great QBs find different ways to beat you and are not as easy to get "figured out".