AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile

Shunpike

Reaction score
Is it me or did phone companies got greedy and are looking to screw their existing customers.

I am an AT&T customer for over 13 years. My family plan has 4 lines. We aren't the most technologically savvy family. We all have iPhone 7's still. Still on a grandfathered old plan where I pay $141 for 4 phones with taxes and fees included.

I just wanted to gift iphone 12 for my kids for Christmas and called AT&T to inquire about iPhone 12 Pro.

Oh boy. None of the stuff they advertise apply to existing customers.

When did they become so greedy. It was a simple affair in the past. Now it is a different story.

I don't really know, maybe I am getting old.

What the heck?

Do I switch to Verizon to get a cheaper iPhone 12?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is it me or did phone companies got greedy and are looking to screw their existing customers.

I am an AT&T customer for over 13 years. My family plan has 4 lines. We aren't the most technologically savvy family. We all have iPhone 7's still. Still on a grandfathered old plan where I pay $141 for 4 phones with taxes and fees included.

I just wanted to gift iphone 12 for my kids for Christmas and called AT&T to inquire about iPhone 12 Pro.

When did they become so greedy. It was a simple affair in the past. Now it is a different story.

What the heck?

I don't understand why people are willing to pay so much for an iPhone in the first place. I paid $240 for my Moto g Power, and I doubt the iPhone does much, if anything more than mine does.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What the heck?

This started several years ago when smartphones were introduced.

They all care way more about new customers and stealing customers from other carriers than they do their own customers.

The reason for this is simple though .. people are complacent, if not lazy, when it comes to phone service.

People will change phones regularly, but not carriers for some reason.

The government even mandated years ago that people get to keep their phone numbers across carriers thinking that was the main reason people were not switching.

As it turns out, it was just human complacency and fear of the unknown .. not knowing if the new service will be worse than the current one after you are locked into a new contract.

I was with the same carrier for over 16 years and they would not offer me new pricing deals, so I left and definitely do not regret it.

After I left, they even sent me an extra monthly bill even though I had closed my account the previous billing period, which I paid simply because I wanted to be done with them.

I have not heard from them since and hope that continues.

Shunpike

Reaction score
This started several years ago when smartphones were introduced.

They all care way more about new customers and stealing customers from other carriers than they do their own customers.

The reason for this is simple though .. people are complacent, if not lazy, when it comes to phone service.

People will change phones regularly, but not carriers for some reason.

The government even mandated years ago that people get to keep their phone numbers across carriers thinking that was the main reason people were not switching.

As it turns out, it was just human complacency and fear of the unknown .. not knowing if the new service will be worse than the current one after you are locked into a new contract.

I was with the same carrier for over 16 years and they would not offer me new pricing deals, so I left and definitely do not regret it.

After I left, they even sent me an extra monthly bill even though I had closed my account the previous billing period, which I paid simply because I wanted to be done with them.

I have not heard from them since and hope that continues.
Thanks. No idea why they care more about stealing a customer from another carrier than keeping their existing loyal customer. But what you say makes sense. I called AT&T today and they couldn’t care less. I called Verizon and they made me feel like royalty.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I had AT&T for internet and my kids, my wife and I kept getting bumped off or couldn’t run some things. They had me at the highest MPs that they provided. Come to find out I wasn’t even getting that because I lived too far from the box but was still paying for it. Several AT&T technicians came to house to see what was wrong. The last two told me that I needed to change providers because there is no way they could provide me what they say they can. When I told that I wanted to cancel, I was asked why and told what their technicians told me. I have had no problems since I switched

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks. No idea why they care more about stealing a customer from another carrier than keeping their existing loyal customer. But what you say makes sense. I called AT&T today and they couldn’t care less. I called Verizon and they made me feel like royalty.
If I had to guess its because corporate management offers bonuses or requires quotas from their sales teams based on new customers signed, so they have little incentive to spend time with or offer deals to existing customers.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Have ATT here for TV/Internet and home phone.
When the contract expires every fall its pure HE Double LL calling them time and again to get a good promotion or one renewed. After around what I would guess around a dozen calls starting into September and running into November they finally gave me what I wanted and at a lower price to boot. Am waiting for next/new bill to see if everything they promised is true{fingers crossed}.

P.S. I have filed a complaint with the FCC https://www.fcc.gov/ before after they were dishonest. A rep from the office of the President called me with in 24 hours and gave me what they originally promised.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ATT's current lame advertising claims just the opposite, existing customers get the same deals, so this is not the case? I would file a complaint with the FTC but then again, I would file a complaint against ATT just to make myself feel better.

Many companies have that new customer focus and don't pay attention to the churn rate unless it's high and management is questioned about it. And all of these companies, as well as the internet service providers, are making money hand over fist under the current conditions.

Used to really piss me off that DirecTV, even before ATT acquired them, only made the Sunday Ticket free to new customers and I used to threaten and get it free but not after ATT, official cellular company of Ming the Merciless, got their hands on it.

As far as Verizon treating you like royalty, that's the honeymoon. Just wait, they all show up for breakfast with curlers in their hair, breaking wind and a snippy attitude eventually.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I don't understand why people are willing to pay so much for an iPhone in the first place. I paid $240 for my Moto g Power, and I doubt the iPhone does much, if anything more than mine does.

I bought a Moto G7 for about the same price last year, does everything I need. Unlimited plan with Straight Talk for $55 cheaper than anything I can get from a carrier (last I checked at least).

Creeper

Reaction score
Its not just the phone companies. It's also the ISPs, cable providers, Netflix, Prime, and even satellite radio.

The phone companies trick people by claiming their unlimited data plans are cheap, but by the time they add in all the other charges, like lines charges, etc, they are over $100 a month.

When I got my first car with satellite radio the monthly cost was about $11 with the traffic service. After Sirius and XM merged the prices have gone up every year. Now I pay $20 a month but I cancelled the traffic plan which was another $15 a month.

Netflix just alerted me to another hike in fee, which seems like a annual event for them now. But the worst part is they haven't allowed streaming of first run movies for years. This used to be their bread and butter. Now they charge customers for original content, much of it is recycled foreign TV series, and old old movies.

Prime just sucks. I only have it for their free 2-day shipping on Amazon purchases. But if you've noticed, more and more products are not offered with Prime services, or they are taking advantage of the COVID pandemic to delay deliveries.

And does everyone remember when "Premium Channels" actually delivered premium content. These channels originally offered new movies to customers who paid for content they would otherwise have to rent from Blockbuster and other movie rental businesses. Now, some offer a "new" movie once a week for 1 night, then use the rest of the time to rerun the same movies 100 times or some "original content" much of which is pretty horrible. "The Sopranos" started something on HBO that all the other channels are trying to replicate. And all of these channels have raised their prices. Think about how many people kept HBO for $15 a month just to watch 8 episodes of Game of Thrones.

When I first switched from Cablevision to FIOS, Verizon gave me all kinds of incentives to switch. I got free DVR for life, a free landline, discounts on a couple of packages, and some other goodies. Verizon's original deal came out about $50 a month cheaper than Cablevision. But now I cannot believe what I am paying for FIOS. And if my DVR breaks, I have to upgrade to a new DVR which negates my lifetime deal with them.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I had ATT for 15 years or so but dropped then two years ago. Best decision made........

All these guys are crooks and cell phones will cost 5K in a few more years. We need to make a stand, I did. I refuse to buy a new phone while I use an old 6s. It barely works but still kicking :laugh:

I want to go back to the old days of a flip phone but the wife calls me stupid and won’t let me :thumbdown:

These companies are getting out of hand and needs knocked down a few pegs!

SlammedZero

Reaction score
When I got my first car with satellite radio the monthly cost was about $11 with the traffic service. After Sirius and XM merged the prices have gone up every year. Now I pay $20 a month but I cancelled the traffic plan which was another $15 a month.

So were you paying $20 + $15 a month for the traffic plan or now you canceled the traffic plan and it is $5 a month?

I bought a truck back in February and it came with 3 free months of Sirius. I decided not to buy the service (it's not bad, I just have other ways to stream music) and man, they are relentless with their e-mails and paper mail trying to get you to sign up. Right now they are offering my $5 a month/$60 a year. I have thought about it at that price but I don't want to get to the point where I'm paying $20 a month and have to call and haggle with them every year.

If you are paying $20 a month, I would call them now and tell them to kick rocks unless they can get you to the $5 a month plan "like your buddy has". lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its not just the phone companies. It's also the ISPs, cable providers, Netflix, Prime, and even satellite radio.

The phone companies trick people by claiming their unlimited data plans are cheap, but by the time they add in all the other charges, like lines charges, etc, they are over $100 a month.

Netflix just alerted me to another hike in fee, which seems like a annual event for them now. But the worst part is they haven't allowed streaming of first run movies for years. This used to be their bread and butter. Now they charge customers for original content, much of it is recycled foreign TV series, and old old movies.

Prime just sucks. I only have it for their free 2-day shipping on Amazon purchases. But if you've noticed, more and more products are not offered with Prime services, or they are taking advantage of the COVID pandemic to delay deliveries.

And does everyone remember when "Premium Channels" actually delivered premium content. These channels originally offered new movies to customers who paid for content they would otherwise have to rent from Blockbuster and other movie rental businesses. Now, some offer a "new" movie once a week for 1 night, then use the rest of the time to rerun the same movies 100 times or some "original content" much of which is pretty horrible. "The Sopranos" started something on HBO that all the other channels are trying to replicate. And all of these channels have raised their prices. Think about how many people kept HBO for $15 a month just to watch 8 episodes of Game of Thrones.

When I first switched from Cablevision to FIOS, Verizon gave me all kinds of incentives to switch. I got free DVR for life, a free landline, discounts on a couple of packages, and some other goodies. Verizon's original deal came out about $50 a month cheaper than Cablevision. But now I cannot believe what I am paying for FIOS. And if my DVR breaks, I have to upgrade to a new DVR which negates my lifetime deal with them.
Netflix made a strategic move when all of the competitors announced they were getting in the game and they went the opposite direction of what the observers predicted, they raised their fees. Apple and Disney had announced at 5.99 and Netflix went up but they were betting on the churn would be minimal and they would continue to be the must have of the streamers. So far, they were right.

The latest research I've seen on streamers is that the household budget for this service averages 40 per month with 4 streamers in the mix. One question in that was where does Amazon fit in since their streaming service is included with Prime.

Netflix rules because they are the king of content compared to the others. The one that might do battle with them is HBO Max but they've got to get distribution on equal footing first. They just got a deal done with Amazon but not Roku and Roku is a necessity unless one has a newer Smart TV.

The amazing part of this to me is just how far all of this has come in a short period of time, all of it. Streamers, ISP's and the hardware. The prices on all of it keep going up and people continue to pay.

Sirius/XM is the easiest one I've dealt with and it is evident they look at it as some money is better than no money. Every time I've called to cancel and just not renew the latest deal, they sweeten the deal. This last one is all the channels and internet for $6 a month.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Netflix made a strategic move when all of the competitors announced they were getting in the game and they went the opposite direction of what the observers predicted, they raised their fees. Apple and Disney had announced at 5.99 and Netflix went up but they were betting on the churn would be minimal and they would continue to be the must have of the streamers. So far, they were right.

The latest research I've seen on streamers is that the household budget for this service averages 40 per month with 4 streamers in the mix. One question in that was where does Amazon fit in since their streaming service is included with Prime.

Netflix rules because they are the king of content compared to the others. The one that might do battle with them is HBO Max but they've got to get distribution on equal footing first. They just got a deal done with Amazon but not Roku and Roku is a necessity unless one has a newer Smart TV.

The amazing part of this to me is just how far all of this has come in a short period of time, all of it. Streamers, ISP's and the hardware. The prices on all of it keep going up and people continue to pay.

Sirius/XM is the easiest one I've dealt with and it is evident they look at it as some money is better than no money. Every time I've called to cancel and just not renew the latest deal, they sweeten the deal. This last one is all the channels and internet for $6 a month.
Looks like I need to call Sirius....now.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I called to cancel and the guy just came back with that offer. There's no way they'll ever get me up to full price. I have Apple Music and can just use that. I do like Sirius because they stay more current with their playlists.
I have Sirius in my car, plus I have the app., and use it all day in my truck, and at the gym, so it's worth the $15 or whatever a month....but if I can get every channel for a lot less, it'd be more worth it.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I had ATT for 15 years or so but dropped then two years ago. Best decision made........

All these guys are crooks and cell phones will cost 5K in a few more years. We need to make a stand, I did. I refuse to buy a new phone while I use an old 6s. It barely works but still kicking :laugh:

I want to go back to the old days of a flip phone but the wife calls me stupid and won’t let me :thumbdown:

These companies are getting out of hand and needs knocked down a few pegs!

I know right, I had my trusty flip phone up until July and was made fun of from everyone, friends, co workers etc. Dropped it one to many times and it died, had no choice but to upgrade and got a real good deal at Metro PCS.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My problem with AT&T was their left hand never knew what their right hand was doing. In a question about my bill, one of their agents with an accent in some other country told me he was waiving some charges. Then a month later, AT&T calls me up saying I owe that money. I told them the date I spoke with an agent and that he had waived the charges, but they had no record of the call. I got annoyed and switched. Those charges weren't all that much money, but it was annoying to have someone working for them tell me that I did not owe that money; therefore, the charges were waived, only to then have another representative from that company insist that I owed the money. And then not be able to access any info about the prior call. So I moved on. I moved on to Consumer Cellular, then after that I moved on to Cricket (which then annoyingly got bought out by AT&T). But so far there are no problems with Cricket, so hopefully AT&T won't screw them up.