At The Game Sunday Night

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
I may have missed it but I haven't seen much, if any talk about the National Anthem at Sunday nights' game.

If the name Tommy Loy means anything to you, you would have gotten a thrill from the anthem.

For 22 years he was the national anthem soloist for the Dallas Cowboys. From 1966 to 1989 if you went to see the Cowboys or saw them on TV he is the man who played the anthem on his trumpet. No other team did it that way, at least not every game and it was a symbol to me that the Boys were playing at home.

Sunday night the Cowboys honored him having trumperter Freddie Jones play a traditional version of the anthem, with Loys name on a jersey with the number 22 on it honoring his 22 years of playing for the Cowboys.

Even better was the crowds response. With no words being shown on the big screen, with nobody leading the way, with the American flag streched up and down and all the way across the field, the crowd listened to the trumpet playing and then started singing our National Anthem. To me it felt like we were singing not because we were asked to or were supposed to. Just because it's what you do.

I don't always go in for the seemingly fake displays of patriotic fervor that is sometimes whipped up just to get a crowd going. I do however love and appreciate sincere expressions. To me, this was one of those.

So good job Cowboys and fans, thanks.

(forgot to mention he will be doing this at every home game this year !!)

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Wow, that is awesome news.

I didn't know that was going to be all year.

I was talking to the guy that sits next to me and we both were saying this is how it's done and wishing they did it every week.

Awesome.

Cas2800

Reaction score
Felt the same way. Everyone was quiet at first but was singing by the end. Awesome.

ologan

Reaction score
Always loved hearing Tommy Loy's rendition. Seems the Cowboys really started winning consistently when Tommy Loy started playing, at least it seems that way.Coincidentally, it stopped in 1989 when Jerruh bought the team, and the record was, IIRC, 1-15. Just seems ironic.
One of the apps on my Iphone is a Cowboy's app, with news stories, videos, etc. One story last week was about the plans to have a trumpeter play the anthem in memory of Tommy LLOYD!!! They couldn't even do the research to get his name right.
RIP Tommy Loy....You helped make Sunday's special! :)