Audible book club from Amazon?

Silly

Reaction score
I was thinking about trying Audible book club from Amazon. However, I don't know how it works.

My question is about content and usage. I understand that you can download one book per month.
However, how can you play the book? Is the book an MP3 format that I can burn to a cd, take in the car, or play on my mp3 player while walking the dog?

I don't want to have to be logged into to Amazon or have to stream content to listen to it.

How does it work?

Thank you.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Amazon is pricey. Scribd is one of the best Audible alternatives out there. In fact, I feel it is better than Audible. Sure Amazon has a team of editors and directors in its studio, but so does Scribd. You will find a collection of 150,000 ebooks plus audiobooks, newspapers, magazines, and articles on the platform.

Membership plan, priced at $8.99, gets you everything mentioned above plus every month, as a member, you get 3 book credits and 1 Audiobook credit. Why credits? Because audiobooks and some premium ebooks are not included in the plan. This brings Scribd on par with other services, but at a much lower rate. You also get access to renowned magazines and newspapers like Times, NYT, WSJ, and more.

Think and Grow Rich is available for free as you get 1 monthly credit free. You just have to subscribe. Bottom line. I liked Scribd for its low price, extensive library, and additional media content like news, blogs, and magazines.

Scribd is a true Audible alternative. And to answer your question, just like all of their ebooks, you can download audiobooks to your device for offline listening by choosing the 'Download' option! If you run into any issues with an audiobook on the site, just contact Scribd support.

Hope this helped. Good luck! :D

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I had Audible for a while. Here’s how I remember it.

You gain a credit each month which allows you to purchase any book regardless of price. If you don’t have credits, you have to purchase the book for whatever price it is. The tip is to use your credits on the more expensive books if possible. For example, if the account costs $10 a month, you don’t want to waste your credit on a $5 book. You’re better off just buying the $5 book and using your monthly credit on a book that’s at least $10.

After purchasing a book, it gets added to your digital library and gets synced across all your devices. However, in order to listen to it on a specific device, you have to download it on that device. Since it’s downloaded onto your device, you don’t need to be online to listen to it. And the tip is to remove it from that device when finished since it takes up space on that device.

In my case, my wife and I shared an account so we could see all the books in our library on both of our phones. But I only downloaded my books on my phone and she only downloaded her books on her phone. You need to be online to download a book but you don’t have to be online to listen to it after it’s been downloaded.

Last edited:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Audible also employs a use it or lose it.

Say you have credits, but you don't want to renew your subscription. If you allow the subscription to cancel and you still have usable credits. You lose them.

Audible is nice IF they have something you want. It's expensive crap otherwise.

I bought these expensive books one time with a credit per book. Now if I want it, they want multiple credits. Another reason I just cancelled my subscription.

I've heard of Scribd, as @daboyzruleperiod suggested, but never really looked at them. Maybe I will go check them out. Thanks girly!

Silly

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I am thinking about it. The only device I have is a fire 7. Did you find that you enjoy listening to books? Or do you find that you fall asleep?

I had an accident this winter and I am not reading so good anymore. I was thinking epic poetry like Virgil, Homer, Dante, and Ovid. I bought a lot of books for winter and then the accident. lol...

I will probably try it. Is audible easy to cancel if I don't like it?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I will probably try it. Is audible easy to cancel if I don't like it?
Audible does not allow you to cancel any plans from the mobile apps. But you can use the desktop versions in Chrome/Safari to access the site & go through the process.

Unused credits are also cancelled with the subscription. Make sure to use them before you cancel. :D

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I was thinking about trying Audible book club from Amazon. However, I don't know how it works.

My question is about content and usage. I understand that you can download one book per month.
However, how can you play the book? Is the book an MP3 format that I can burn to a cd, take in the car, or play on my mp3 player while walking the dog?

I don't want to have to be logged into to Amazon or have to stream content to listen to it.

How does it work?

Thank you.

Amazon is pretty good about it. You can request that it be transcribed into text and they’ll send you out the document to read.