Austin steadily looking more polished - WR thoughts

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
1. TO is looking limited with how teams are defending him. I agree not to force him the ball, but also think you put him in motion and running routes that play to his strengths. TO has made some costly mistakes, not entirely his fault, but I expect more. Fumble last game, interception this game. I thought he made a weak effort on the pass that was behind him also. Not all his fault, but I'd like to see better, more positive body language from his play out there. He sometimes wants perfection in passes to him. He is getting older and we need to plan for a future without him. When O gets rolling, he will be better though.

2. Roy Williams has made a play each time he gets thrown too. His 1st TD. That amazing one handed catch on sideline. A couple of low passes he's dug out of turf for 1st downs or positive yardage with really focussed catches. This last game he made a nice wiggle move by sideline to stretch for a 1st down. He looks good. Get him involved more (I think coaches are being conservative, OR Roy is slow getting offense down - Romo been yelling at him this last game). Good move for future. On a good team with good QB and strong playcalling and coaching I think he still has an upside.

3. Crayton. Limited by his speed and inconsistency. Great hands usually, but drops the occasional very important throw. Doesn't seem to get open consistently, and this might be his quickness/speed. Strong player. Good 3rd or 4th option and good backup Punt Returner (don't want him as 1st option there, but he's reliable for sure).

4. Austin is moving up the chart, and steadily. He is going to the ball now, catching with hands (I see progress even from start of this season, where I still thought he didn't go up for it decisively for his size and height). His agility and speed and route running just seem far more polished now. He is quick after catch. He looks alert and focussed and dangerous. We should continue to increase his touches.

5. Stanback. I think project might be over here. The constant injuries and setbacks in development. Barring major leap in next training camp/off season, I think this might be over. Guy has talent, but can't stay on field and get the reps needed to improve. Maybe 1 more season - but can we continue to afford the roster spot.

6. Hurd. Great special teamer, and great utility backup. Makes key blocks and tackles, and does everything you ask. Perfect 5th or 6th receiver and still super young so some minor upside, I'd guess. I'd keep him over Stanback at this point, because of what he brings as a role player and special teamer.

7. Real young guy. I'd love to see the super quick player. A Welker type. A guy that can get open consistently over the middle and move the chains. He would complement TO and Roy. If he can return punts or kicks also, then that is gravy. I think we can get a guy like this in 3rd to 4th rounds of draft. I think we lack this player in lineup. Hurd isn't quite quick enough, same with Crayton.

We need to spread it around. Quit forcing to TO, especially if he's not hot. If TO is hot, then keep feeding him. Let him continue to pull attention away from Witten, Roy Williams, and Austin/Crayton. Then go back to TO when we make them pay for focussing on him. Be patient.

The only player lacking I see in WR stable is the quick, agile guy with hands that can get you those 5-12 yard plays over middle. The guy that is hard to find in crowd, and gets open consistently. I think obviously TO is focus for this year and next still, and Roy is here for long haul now. Stanback and Crayton are the guys that I could see moved and/or on bubble at end of year.

LarryCanadian

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
The Austin more gets on the field the better I like it ---He has arrived and I think will be TO "s replacement along side Roy in a few years

speedkilz88

Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2426364 said:
1. TO is looking limited with how teams are defending him. I agree not to force him the ball, but also think you put him in motion and running routes that play to his strengths. TO has made some costly mistakes, not entirely his fault, but I expect more. Fumble last game, interception this game. I thought he made a weak effort on the pass that was behind him also. Not all his fault, but I'd like to see better, more positive body language from his play out there. He sometimes wants perfection in passes to him. He is getting older and we need to plan for a future without him. When O gets rolling, he will be better though.

There is absolutely nothing TO could do on the first interception except tackle the db, which he did. It was a slant, he was going vertical; the ball isn't suppose to be three yards behind the wr.

2. Roy Williams has made a play each time he gets thrown too. His 1st TD. That amazing one handed catch on sideline. A couple of low passes he's dug out of turf for 1st downs or positive yardage with really focussed catches. This last game he made a nice wiggle move by sideline to stretch for a 1st down. He looks good. Get him involved more (I think coaches are being conservative, OR Roy is slow getting offense down - Romo been yelling at him this last game). Good move for future. On a good team with good QB and strong playcalling and coaching I think he still has an upside.

3. Crayton. Limited by his speed and inconsistency. Great hands usually, but drops the occasional very important throw. Doesn't seem to get open consistently, and this might be his quickness/speed. Strong player. Good 3rd or 4th option and good backup Punt Returner (don't want him as 1st option there, but he's reliable for sure).

4. Austin is moving up the chart, and steadily. He is going to the ball now, catching with hands (I see progress even from start of this season, where I still thought he didn't go up for it decisively for his size and height). His agility and speed and route running just seem far more polished now. He is quick after catch. He looks alert and focussed and dangerous. We should continue to increase his touches.

5. Stanback. I think project might be over here. The constant injuries and setbacks in development. Barring major leap in next training camp/off season, I think this might be over. Guy has talent, but can't stay on field and get the reps needed to improve. Maybe 1 more season - but can we continue to afford the roster spot. If you gave up on Austin after two seasons he would be gone already and you would have blown it. Stanback has shown just as much as Austin did at the same point of their careers.

6. Hurd. Great special teamer, and great utility backup. Makes key blocks and tackles, and does everything you ask. Perfect 5th or 6th receiver and still super young so some minor upside, I'd guess. I'd keep him over Stanback at this point, because of what he brings as a role player and special teamer.

7. Real young guy. I'd love to see the super quick player. A Welker type. A guy that can get open consistently over the middle and move the chains. He would complement TO and Roy. If he can return punts or kicks also, then that is gravy. I think we can get a guy like this in 3rd to 4th rounds of draft. I think we lack this player in lineup. Hurd isn't quite quick enough, same with Crayton.

We need to spread it around. Quit forcing to TO, especially if he's not hot. If TO is hot, then keep feeding him. Let him continue to pull attention away from Witten, Roy Williams, and Austin/Crayton. Then go back to TO when we make them pay for focussing on him. Be patient.

The only player lacking I see in WR stable is the quick, agile guy with hands that can get you those 5-12 yard plays over middle. The guy that is hard to find in crowd, and gets open consistently. I think obviously TO is focus for this year and next still, and Roy is here for long haul now. Stanback and Crayton are the guys that I could see moved and/or on bubble at end of year. They have a guy like this on the practice squad. I think his name is Wes, uh Danny.

LarryCanadian
-------------------

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
On the TO pass behind him (and I totally agree it was significantly late and behind him) I just thought the body language suggested TO stuck his arm back and was pissed that pass was late. Just something about the body language. He did make a FAST recovery and good tackle. The interception I was referring to, was the one that bounced out of his hands, although a good tackle. Just costly, and I EXPECT more from him, which is a sign of respect, not derision.

Has Stanback only been here 2 years. I think this is at least 3rd, and he's been hurt for 1/2 of that at least. Problem is, he's a QB converting, whereas an Austin was a WR for a much longer time, and also stays healthy and shows consistent progress. I didn't say I don't like Stanback, but just wonder how long you can keep that roster spot, especially at WR.

As for Amendola (sp?) he might be that type of guy, but if they don't think so, grabbing one of those quick, but smaller WR's in middle of draft, might be the right move.

LarryCanadian

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LarryCanadian;2426364 said:
Stanback and Crayton are the guys that I could see moved and/or on bubble at end of year.
Good post LC.

I'd add Hurd to that list however. JMO but after TO, Roy11 and Austin it's a fluid situation next year.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I think coaches feel like you do and would put Hurd on bubble even before Crayton and Stanback. BUT, I think Hurd, AT HIS COST, is more valuable, especially in a deep group. Hurd is an excellent special teamer, and an excellent role player. He's not a distraction. He doesn't cost much. Plus he's still growing stronger, and more polished, even though his upside talentwise probably isn't what Austin's is for sure, and even Stanbacks.

But Hurd can apparently play EVERY WR position. He is SMART, and works hard to learn nuances of game. We need inexpensive role players like this. Early on in year, Hurd made 2 superb blocks that sprung big plays for us. He tackles on special teams. He makes the occasional catch. He's the pefect 5th or 6th receiver, whereas Stanback seems so slow to develop (I was excited about this pick, and saw some things when he gets chance) and Crayton is now a fairly expensive option without much upside anymore (right?). If TO plays for this season and 2 more, you don't really need Crayton at that price I feel, although not sure what he's worth in trade or if moving him makes sense cap wise. The Roy Williams pick up changed the mix at WR though! That and Austin looks like he's taken next step. Really does!

LarryCanadian

tunahelper

Reaction score
I like how Austin is playing pickup BB type route running when plays breakdown. He seems to have such a quick start/stop ability and he can make plays when Romo starts on the move.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
You positive Speed? I thought Stanback was basically redshirted 1 year (maybe it was just all of camp last year, so that is why it felt that way). I do feel that you need to give a guy 3 seasons, especially if shifting positions. In that case it probably would be premature to cut him, BUT I still think with the numbers, his injuries, and what a guy like Hurd contributes on special teams, he might be an odd man out. At this point, with Roy Williams here, and Austin stepping up, they probably should fix that shoulder sooner rather than later, especially since it popped out again 2 weeks ago. I guess it depends if he's getting meaningful reps running routes and can work on his hands at practice. If not, go under the knife now. Stanback reminds me a bit of Barber in that he seems to show a powerful running ability with a good lean = downhill running. He just needs lots more reps. He's the type of guy that needs 3/4 of EVERY preseason game, and if the season is in tank, you play him to find out what you got and develop him (god forbid we get to that point).

LarryCanadian

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I know he's number 1 as long as he is here...But T.O. could be on the bubble simply because he's not producing. Doesn't matter if its his fault or not.

The fact that we need to force him the ball is going to keep hurting this offense IMO unless we start using him consistently on those deep crosses. He's lost the step he had where he could take a WR screen to the house.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Eventually I'd like to see RW11 get the Randy Moss treatment. Just send him downfield and throw at him, even if he's covered. He'll come down with the ball.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Future;2426665 said:
I know he's number 1 as long as he is here...But T.O. could be on the bubble simply because he's not producing. Doesn't matter if its his fault or not.

The fact that we need to force him the ball is going to keep hurting this offense IMO unless we start using him consistently on those deep crosses. He's lost the step he had where he could take a WR screen to the house.
Well, he was #1 among receivers yesterday in targets, catches, and yards. He may not be producing, and there may be games where those rankings aren't the case, but you can't say he's not our #1 receiver now. Tony spreads the ball around -- that's what happens when you have a ton of weapons, and we have a boatload of weapons.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
theogt;2426680 said:
Well, he was #1 among receivers yesterday in targets, catches, and yards. He may not be producing, and there may be games where those rankings aren't the case, but you can't say he's not our #1 receiver now. Tony spreads the ball around -- that's what happens when you have a ton of weapons, and we have a boatload of weapons.

He was also #1 in times being targeted when there was an INT...

I'm not saying he isn't our #1, that is obvious. But its tough to spread it around when the ball is going to him, guaranteed, 10ish times a game.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Future;2426685 said:
He was also #1 in times being targeted when there was an INT...
So? Is it supposed to be his fault Tony's cast caused a couple off target throws?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
theogt;2426688 said:
So? Is it supposed to be his fault Tony's cast caused a couple off target throws?

I said its not always his fault, but the fact that Tony or whoever tries to force it to him results in an INT.

And I think you should be able to take that hit and hold onto the football on the 2nd one...though its debatable.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2426521 said:
Stanback was drafted last year Larry.

LarryCanadian;2426545 said:
You positive Speed? I thought Stanback was basically redshirted 1 year (maybe it was just all of camp last year, so that is why it felt that way). I do feel that you need to give a guy 3 seasons, especially if shifting positions. In that case it probably would be premature to cut him, BUT I still think with the numbers, his injuries, and what a guy like Hurd contributes on special teams, he might be an odd man out. At this point, with Roy Williams here, and Austin stepping up, they probably should fix that shoulder sooner rather than later, especially since it popped out again 2 weeks ago. I guess it depends if he's getting meaningful reps running routes and can work on his hands at practice. If not, go under the knife now. Stanback reminds me a bit of Barber in that he seems to show a powerful running ability with a good lean = downhill running. He just needs lots more reps. He's the type of guy that needs 3/4 of EVERY preseason game, and if the season is in tank, you play him to find out what you got and develop him (god forbid we get to that point).

LarryCanadian

Stanback was drafted 4/07 so this is his second year with the club. He'll get a chance next year but I would suspect it will be his last.

If I were coach I'd cut him if he doesn't appear to be ready to push a starter in the next year or so. He's not helpful on STs and he does not contribute anywhere else.

I love the guy's athleticism but...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Future;2426697 said:
I said its not always his fault, but the fact that Tony or whoever tries to force it to him results in an INT.

And I think you should be able to take that hit and hold onto the football on the 2nd one...though its debatable.
He was wide open on both of those plays, so Tony wasn't forcing anything to him.

I'll never fault a player for coughing up a ball directly as they're blindsided, before they're even able to secure it.. It's just a good play by the defender to time it.

alancdc

Reaction score
Get RW the ball downfield P L E A S E. P E R I O D. The guy is a playa.