BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheHustler said:
do the rest of us get avatars?

You may have to wait a little while on that one.

Many things to work on to get this site at 100%

We are all learning as we go.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
How do we get one?

BrAinPaiNt said:

Ben_n_austin111

Benched
Reaction score
Man, this site has really gone down the tubes...

No avatars, new mods (gimme a break), making things harder than they really are aren't we fellas?

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Ben_n_austin said:
Man, this site has really gone down the tubes...

No avatars, new mods (gimme a break), making things harder than they really are aren't we fellas?
RW31 blames you! :D

TheHustler

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

thanks for the info. nice sig.

Jimmie

Reaction score
i used VB all the time, activating avatars is simply the click of an on/off button. :eek:

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Jimmie said:
i used VB all the time, activating avatars is simply the click of an on/off button. :eek:

Yeah well, this is apparently a union-shop ;)

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bach said:
Yeah well, this is apparently a union-shop ;)

Maybe :p

I think the problem is to find a way to remote link avatars from other sites (from your own server or from another internet site).

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Maybe :p

I think the problem is to find a way to remote link avatars from other sites (from your own server or from another internet site).

Thanks - hopefully they'll get it working soon - I feel so anonymous without it.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Dont hold your breath. =)

Remote linking Avatars is not supported in VB. You either have them on and plugged into the SQL db or you dont turn them on at all. Good luck.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas said:
Dont hold your breath. =)

Remote linking Avatars is not supported in VB. You either have them on and plugged into the SQL db or you dont turn them on at all. Good luck.
Actually, I'm going to write a mod for vb3 to support off-site linking of avatars. It's not that hard .. I just haven't had time due to work.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Reality said:
Actually, I'm going to write a mod for vb3 to support off-site linking of avatars. It's not that hard .. I just haven't had time due to work.

I thought this was your work :D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Are we going to get animated emoticons, too? I miss the old zzz, lol, and butting-head-against-wall ones.

I thought this was supposed to be the same type of software used by extremeskins.com, and they have all kinds of animations (and avatars)...

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
Are we going to get animated emoticons, too? I miss the old zzz, lol, and butting-head-against-wall ones.

I thought this was supposed to be the same type of software used by extremeskins.com, and they have all kinds of animations (and avatars)...

I am not sure if we will get more emoticons or not....I know you can remote link them from other sites....here is one site you can use..

http://www.websmileys.com/

sterb034.gif

^^ Found that one at the site I linked...thought it was kind of funny.

This is the same type of software (Vbull) However it is a newer version and not all of it is the same. One more thing to consider with this software is that any avatars (at this point) can not be linked from another web site....it would be from our own computers and uploaded to the server that we are currentl using...which means it would be adding files and taking away space on the sites server.

Also in many ways the skinz site gives avatars to users similar to what was being done on the old site....where you have standard avatars that may change due to post counts....reason that is done is to cut down on the space that each user would take up by uploading his avatar to this server.

Not sure if I make any sense to you or not....but Reality is working on a way to change the software (VB3) to allow remote linking for the avatars like the old site had....that way you can store your avatar on your own server or take it from a web page...instead of having it stored on this server.

Smith22

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

I'm sure we will get all of that and then some. Remember, they rushed just to get this site up in time for the draft.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Hot Linking really sucks.

Serving up images for folks off your own site is an easy fix. It can suck alot of your BW monthly.

Not a fan of doing this as BP suggests. Its really frowned upon.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas said:
Hot Linking really sucks.

Serving up images for folks off your own site is an easy fix. It can suck alot of your BW monthly.

Not a fan of doing this as BP suggests. Its really frowned upon.

I actually use the space I am provided...and I also have other peoples sig lines (and in the past avatars) on my own space.

However it was done by many before because it was either find your own web space to link from, ask someone to do it for you, or link from another page.

Today many can get a photobucket account and store their images there and link from that site.

In the long run IMO it is better to have avatar or sigline images that are NOT stored on the host site (this site).