Twitter: Baldy Breaks Down Sam Williams

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Talent-wise, I think Sam Williams was a 1st rounder pretty easy. Top tier athleticism, 3 productive years in the SEC, and a better bag of pass rush moves than he's given credit for. That's Day 1 material most years. Like Baldiner showed, he's facing a Top 10 All-SEC LT and dealing with him pretty easily.

But it's the same story every year with our "1st round talent who fell to the 2nd" guys. There's always some red flag, and that red flag always ends up coming back to bite us.

Reactions: BAT

plymkr

Reaction score
Somehow, a Baldy Breakdown that is positive about the draft pick, makes me anticipate good things from the player. And Baldy didn't mention the cumulative effect of playing alongside Micah Parsons. It's going to be a jailbreak at times.
Good point. Parsons makes everyone better. We got some fast pass rushers. Speed kills in this league.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

He should push Dorance Armstrong for reps opposite Tank and/or Parsons.

LOL...........wow!! That was nice to hear.

He is going to be a 3rd down pass rusher. Probably used on both sides. I bet they slide Tank into the middle on 3rd and long and can rush Williams from either side. Then you have parsons coming from anywhere. Fowler is also a guy that can get sacks.

So are you taking Randy Gregory for 15 million for 5 years or are you taking Williams and Fowler for 5 million?

Ill take Williams and Fowler.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1) In Micah's introductory press conference they talked about him being their #1 rated pressure player in the draft and how he would be used that way. It was one of the main points of emphasis of the conference.

2) If Dan Quinn is this creator of pass rushers why did Dante Fowler leave the Rams after getting 11.5 sacks in 2019 to join Quinn in 2020 where he ended up with only 3?

Fowler has been hurt the last two years.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Man… imagine putting this out there on passing downs as a nickel package:

DE: Fowler
DT: Osa
DT: Galliomore
DE: Law

LB: Parsons
LB: Williams

That is nasty.

Jarntt

Reaction score
"He can turn the corner like a European sports car."
That stuck out to me because with his pure speed I thought he should be better at turning the corner than I thought he was. Usually the great athletes get that bend and turn and get around the OT without being too deep or behind the QB and those are the ones that get to the QB the quickest. Hopefully I was just way off base on this one and that comment made me think I was

Jarntt

Reaction score
Man… imagine putting this out there on passing downs as a nickel package:

DE: Fowler
DT: Osa
DT: Galliomore
DE: Law

LB: Parsons
LB: Williams

That is nasty.
Does that really look all that great? And what are you thinking here, rushing 6? Because Williams isn't covering and if you aren't rushing Parsons you don't have any great pass rushers there

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Does that really look all that great? And what are you thinking here, rushing 6? Because Williams isn't covering and if you aren't rushing Parsons you don't have any great pass rushers there

You could definitely rush 6… you can also swap Parsons/Williams to DE and Fowler can rush standing as a LBer— and they certainly have speed enough to show blitz and then drop into base zone coverage (Parsons can do more than that obviously)

Bottom line— you can disguise looks and confuse the offense and you have 6 guys who can all get to the QB or collapse the pocket. Offenses will be put into a bind on long down and distances and obvious passing downs

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can always find reps for a pass rusher. He was a great pick for us in R2.

The ticket on draft day. One of the guys mentioned Williams could get as many as 20 snaps a game. However, that also could have meant ST snaps. As one said he would probably get some work in there as well. They did not elaborate or break it down. The ST's play was just that persons opinion though.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
not like he played at smu or North Texas U..he was in the SEC

I understand it isn't the "only" factor but I really wish this team put more emphasis on level of competition when ranking their players. They seem to give way too much benefit of the doubt to guys who looked good against lesser competition rather than take a guy who has faced high level talent.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Sam looks like a bigger less flexible version of Gregory. Good looking kid. Nobody wants to talk about him because of his history but I wonder on pure talent were would he rank.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I understand it isn't the "only" factor but I really wish this team put more emphasis on level of competition when ranking their players. They seem to give way too much benefit of the doubt to guys who looked good against lesser competition rather than take a guy who has faced high level talent.
so guys like randy Moss, jerry rice, larry allen, and 100s of others from small school should have been dinged over the small school they went too? Romo and Warner undrafted..ive seen many 1st round qbs get traded up for from small schools its not jerry its the way it is..

the SEC is a competitive conference, thats my point on Sam. not sure your point..thaty why they have a combine and pr days to answer those questions.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
so guys like randy Moss, jerry rice, larry allen, and 100s of others from small school should have been dinged over the small school they went too? Romo and Warner undrafted..ive seen many 1st round qbs get traded up for from small schools its not jerry its the way it is..

the SEC is a competitive conference, thats my point on Sam. not sure your point..thaty why they have a combine and pr days to answer those questions.

My point is that they seem to overrate a lot of those players and ultimately waste precious draft resources when there are players available who have proven themselves against the best competition.

Certainly there is talent coming out of these smaller schools & sometimes you hit a home run but you can also strike out a number of times for each home run.

blueblood70

Reaction score
My point is that they seem to overrate a lot of those players and ultimately waste precious draft resources when there are players available who have proven themselves against the best competition.

Certainly there is talent coming out of these smaller schools & sometimes you hit a home run but you can also strike out a number of times for each home run.
yet they dont do anything more than other teams do.,.you think trey lance was worth 3 first rounder to trade up and take him to sit a year or more how the the trade up to get Love ? or that OL NE is being mocked for taking.it happens all over the league

you have no point unless you stop saying the Cowboys and instead say the NFL..

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I am interested to see what Ridgeway can bring to the rotation. We got bullied in the run game and need all the help we can get to shut that down

Going to need more help vs run than just Ridgeway imo.

Both LVE and Cox are not great vs run either.