Baldy's breakdown if dline against rams

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Do we ever even send guys in motion? That stupid Jetsweep froze our LB’s the whole game. I would have run blitzed all game with LVE and Smith.
ROFL... oh we motion a TE EVERY once in a while, but you havw to be kidding if you think ole vanillahan has that much imagination to throw misdirection plays at a stacked D line... hell, RPO's won't work if you DON'T misdirect the defense's attention....we said it ALl year the OC is a predictable as a clock. And to add, did everyone notice how THEY, the Rams adjusted to us after our 1st go score? yeah, THAT's coaching.

dckid

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been running the jet-sweep fake way before the Rams made it posh. They used to do it religiously with Dwayne Harris and did it a lot with Austin both before his injury and in the Rams game. The rams are just better at it because....wait for it.....

they have a BETTER OL.

One thing they did do that I saw earlier, they use their TEs to creatively run across and chip in deceptive ways, allowing the OL to block downfield. Not new - Andy REid used to kill the Cowboys and others doing, but to do it from the bunch formation was new.
The difference is they run it every freaking time and our L
ROFL... oh we motion a TE EVERY once in a while, but you havw to be kidding if you think ole vanillahan has that much imagination to throw misdirection plays at a stacked D line... hell, RPO's won't work if you DON'T misdirect the defense's attention....we said it ALl year the OC is a predictable as a clock. And to add, did everyone notice how THEY, the Rams adjusted to us after our 1st go score? yeah, THAT's coaching.
Yep, it ain’t rocket science

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The difference is they run it every freaking time and our L

Yep, it ain’t rocket science

Oh no doubt they run it more, but I think that's as much as because they are way more threatening with it. The Cowboys aren't fooling nearly as many people because they just don't have the personnel for it to be scary.

The biggest difference between the LA Rams and Dallas Cowboys offense in 2018 is not scheme, rather it OL. A lot easier to be creative when your offensive line is one of the top 3 in the business.

dckid

Reaction score
Oh no doubt they run it more, but I think that's as much as because they are way more threatening with it. The Cowboys aren't fooling nearly as many people because they just don't have the personnel for it to be scary.

The biggest difference between the LA Rams and Dallas Cowboys offense in 2018 is not scheme, rather it OL. A lot easier to be creative when your offensive line is one of the top 3 in the business.
Crown royal I respect your opinion, and sorry for the truncated response, but I believe this oline domination was more about coaching and being prepared vs Mano a mano domination. We were out outcoached and outschemed. This was McVay playing chess vs Garrett playing checkers, or he’ll marbles. They made the Cowboys wet their pants on the one time they punted. Their offense was literally mocking us the whole game. By the end of the game McVay’s face looked very punchable.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been running the jet-sweep fake way before the Rams made it posh. They used to do it religiously with Dwayne Harris and did it a lot with Austin both before his injury and in the Rams game. The rams are just better at it because....wait for it.....

they have a BETTER OL.

One thing they did do that I saw earlier, they use their TEs to creatively run across and chip in deceptive ways, allowing the OL to block downfield. Not new - Andy REid used to kill the Cowboys and others doing, but to do it from the bunch formation was new.

There is a big difference in how they use their jet sweep than how we do it and it's not just the OL. They use it extensively with their base personnel and we use gadget players, Austin, Lewis. All the motion they use throughout their scheme with their base personnel make it harder for the defense to read a play and force adjustments that their offense can key on.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Check out @BaldyNFL’s Tweet:

Seems like those early false starts made them heaistant off the ball

Watching this should make one understand why #50 went into the game. #55 was totally out of position so many times.

Dre11

Reaction score
This same Rams team got dominated by the Eagles and Bears defense.

You could get after them if you were prepared.

Dallas just had no idea where the ball was going or who had it and in turn while they were searching for the ball they were getting drove backwards.

The Pre-snap motion, misdirection, and running up to the line and snapping the ball played a big factor in how their run game was so successful.

If McVay is coaching the Cowboys and Garrett is coaching the Rams then I feel pretty good about McVays cowboys winning.

Catch you're a funny dude, these guys prepared, we didn't have a Mack, Lawerence is good but he ain't Mack.
We don't have Graham, Jernigan, Bennett, Nata.

Dre11

Reaction score
And I disagree.

They aren't much better. They are marginally better at best. Regardless.. We have much better linebackers.

There is absolutely no excuse for a top 5 run defense like we have to allow 7 or 8 yards a carry or whatever it was.

There DL are much better, our LB play is predicated on good DL play. Which we didn't get.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Catch you're a funny dude, these guys prepared, we didn't have a Mack, Lawerence is good but he ain't Mack.
We don't have Graham, Jernigan, Bennett, Nata.

Listen..

I know the cool thing to do is bash the dline right now but when they've been top 5 against the run all year and the Rams were rushing for 140 yards a game and went for almost 300 on us I think it's a little more complex then just blaming the D Line talent.

McVay found ways to exploit what we do defensively. Why is it so hard to admit that?

There is no excuse for them to rush on the Dallas Cowboys top 5 rush defense that just shut down the leagues best rush offense in Seattle the week before like they did.

Dre11

Reaction score
The rams have a lot different run scheme than we do. A lot of their success was due to deception and motion which had our LBs not sure what to do. They also don’t tip off their play selection based upon personnel packages. So yeah, we both like to run the ball but the scheme is very different.

Stop, they were prepared for it, Vanderesh even said it in an interview BEFORE the game that they motion and used to get your eyes going one way, and running the opposite. Marinelli said after the game , they did nothing they didn't expect.
We just got physically whipped, whether that was the bye for the Rams or cowboys coming off a very physical game the week before.

Dre11

Reaction score
Listen..

I know the cool thing to do is bash the dline right now but when they've been top 5 against the run all year and the Rams were rushing for 140 yards a game and went for almost 300 on us I think it's a little more complex then just blaming the D Line talent.

McVay found ways to exploit what we do defensively. Why is it so hard to admit that?

There is no excuse for them to rush on the Dallas Cowboys top 5 rush defense that just shut down the leagues best rush offense in Seattle the week before like they did.

Catch, think, you even alluded to it, yeah we had a top 5 run game, we also just came off a very physical game the week before, the Rams was also rested from a week off, with a back with pretty much fresh legs.
Go look at the tape we were physically beat, Anderson ran for over 100 yards in the last two games of the season IIRC.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Painful to watch. The DTs played with no gap discipline. I don't know what the LBs are doing, getting washed out on every play. Very poor performance by the front 7. They left their technique and preparation on the bus.

This is all on scheme....poor coaching. Period. Not making any adjustments...nor seeing what the Rams were doing. Our coaching staff had no answers on how to stop this.

I mean...honestly...the Rams guards had free reign to the 2nd level all night long...

GridironGreat

Reaction score
The guards looked quick and were looking for LVE and Smith on every play and took them right out of the game.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The problem with having too many "bargain" players ..Antwaun Woods (waived off Titans 90-man off-season roster), Jeff Heath (UDFA, Cowboy Zone legend), Xavier Woods (6th round pick), is that good teams with good coaching staffs are going to find those guys and expose them.

Need a spacetaker at 1Tech like a Jonathan Hankins or Damon Harrison, and as we have for years, we need better safeties. We also need coaches capable of making in-game adjustments.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys LBs had their worst game all season. Even worse than the Colts game. What is disturbing is how easily the Rams took the DTs out of their gaps with one on one blocking allowing a free offensive lineman to get out and block the LBs. The Rams TEs and WRs all blocked effectively. This is where the Cowboys miss Witten and Dez. Both were good blockers in the run game.

Anyone with more knowledge of want to opine if this is a technique issue or strength? It just seems like the Cowboys get pushed around more than they should whether its offensive or defensive line.

But I posted before, go watch the tape of the Rams - Cowboys game from last year. It was the same thing, especially in the 2nd half. I thought then it was because Sean Lee was got hurt and missed the 2nd half but after watching this video its clear that wasn't the problem. Hopefully, this is a learning experience for the Cowboys LBs. They seems indecisive about where the ball was going and were ate filling gaps or filled the wrong gaps. The safeties didn't support the run game either. Bad performance all around.

I didn't look at the video of the game again, but during the game, when Lee was playing, I thought he was a little better recognizing the plays in the run game. He struggled in pass coverage though. LVE will get better with experience.

Your problem here, likely is a focus in the up front analysis problem for what is wrong with the Cowboys. They definitely have to win this situation in the future. It probably means something of a focus on the box area for Dallas.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Exactly, so much of the OL game is executing the transitions, traps, etc. Dallas had that in 2016 and dominated, this year we had players out with injuries, everyone struggling with Alexanders new technique until he got canned, etc. On top of it Martin and Tyron were playing at 50 - 70% for the second half of the season. Its no secret why we allowed TWICE the sacks this year as the last two years.

Getting Frederick back makes this unit 50% better but having enough reps together to develop some cohesion will make them 50% better on top of that.

With who Dallas already has on their offensive line roster, a healthy trio of Smith, Martin, and Frederick presents a major upgrade for the offense.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yeah, this was not a case of the Rams "just doing what they do."

This is a team that averaged 140 yards rushing per game, and they basically doubled that against us. With a QB who ranked 23rd in passer rating over the last 8 weeks, and had a 74.4 in this game.

I don't buy the "there's nothing to see here." There's plenty to see here.

lol, Percy...and I'd say a strong focus upon defensive tackle and safety wouldn't hurt anything for the Cowboys. I hate a stereotype of not needed 'much.'