Ball speed versus Big Arm

jrcowboys

Reaction score
Guys:

Could anyone explain "Ball Speed" versus "Big Arm". I think Dak's was 53 or 54 and the Houston QB 49, yet I read articles of the Houston QB's big arm. Is there a direct connection between ball speed and the difficult throws you can make? Bottom line I just wonder how good an arm Dak has compared to other QBs.

JR

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys:

Could anyone explain "Ball Speed" versus "Big Arm". I think Dak's was 53 or 54 and the Houston QB 49, yet I read articles of the Houston QB's big arm. Is there a direct connection between ball speed and the difficult throws you can make? Bottom line I just wonder how good an arm Dak has compared to other QBs.

JR
I think ball speed means that they can get the ball in to tight windows, not giving DBs the chance to react on the ball. Big arm means distance. IMO

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think ball speed means that they can get the ball in to tight windows, not giving DBs the chance to react on the ball. Big arm means distance. IMO

It really should amount to the same thing. Both the physical ability to make a long throw and the physical ability to put zip on the ball in tight windows is a function of velocity

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Guys:

JR
Ball speed is more functional arm strength

mattjames2010

Reaction score

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep, which is why I think there is far more to this than the drills you see at a combine. The eye test with this says a lot more, and I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with mechanics and footwork that comes out in game. Easier to do when it's one on one.
There is some validity to it, but its not something that should make or breal a QB. Case in point, Deasan Watsons ball speed tested incredibly low. However anyone who has seen him know he doesnt have issues throwing through a tight window.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with the idea that Big Arm means that you can throw the ball downfield for a goodly distance. Ball Speed is really zip or throwing the ball on a line. I actually think they are used in place of one another a lot. One is not the same as the other but I often see the term "Big Arm" to mean a QB who can throw for a great distance and can hum it.

A good example of the Difference is Troy Aikman. Troy really didn't throw a great deep ball. However, he could throw the 20 yard out as well as any QB I've ever seen. Troy could bring it and he was dead on accurate. That ball got there on a line, in a hurry and right between the eyes if you didn't get your head around, but he didn't throw a very good deep ball, especially to the sideline.

visionary

Reaction score
Yep, which is why I think there is far more to this than the drills you see at a combine. The eye test with this says a lot more, and I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with mechanics and footwork that comes out in game. Easier to do when it's one on one.

Agree
Mechanics very important
Stepping up important
Launch trajectory is very important

Several factors

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dak has a noodle arm.

However, if he gets the proper whipping motion with the wet noodle, he can put some velocity on the ball. Luckily wet noodles are flexible like that.

rags747

Reaction score
I think it means it’s not the size of the wave, but the motion of the ocean. Yeah that’s the tkt!!

John813

Reaction score
Yea, I found it odd. One of Grier's biggest flaws was his supposedly lack of arm talent but he had the highest ball speed in combine. Where do they measure the ball speed during that test? Like distance from where the QB releases the ball.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

None of it matters when you have a QB with accuracy problems. Like Dak......

Dak be like this:

jermichael-finley-terrible-first-pitch-amazing-first-pitch-gifs.gif

morat1959

Reaction score
Get ready to get bashed for using the treaded term “eye test.” That’s not allowed on this forum. You must go by stats only.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
also important in all of that is release time. how long is the wind up and delivery....that's why a lot of taller QBs are shunned or haven't found much success, because it takes too long to wind up and throw the ball and that leads to sacks, etc. that's what made Marino great, because he had such a quick release. mahomes is similar, he maynot have the strongest arm but has a rather quick release

now, in regards to these ball speed reports....if its measured during combine or some other way, the QB may knowingly alter his throwing motion to get more speed which is not realistic. I wonder if they measure this from game tape...doubt it.

and the other piece of course...accuracy...can I get the ball to where I want to get it and hit my target....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To be honest with you, I put more stock in the eye test, when it comes to how hard or quickly or how fast a given QB spins a ball. To me, the best person to tell you which QB can bring it and which can't, are the Receivers. Those guys know who stings and who throws lollypops.

JMO