Ball speed versus Big Arm

fredp22

Reaction score
I take it as ball speed is how fast/hard the ball is thrown. its not necessarily a quick release but the speed of the ball after the release to the receiver. Namath/Elway comes to mind for their ball speed but theres a lot more. Big arm is the ability to throw for distance. Bobby Douglas of the Bears was said to be able to throw it 90 yards. Jeff George also had a big arm (70+ yards). You need accuracy to go with a big arm. Elway and Marino are 2 that come to mind that had both (Marino also had the quick release)

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
To be honest with you, I put more stock in the eye test, when it comes to how hard or quickly or how fast a given QB spins a ball. To me, the best person to tell you which QB can bring it and which can't, are the Receivers. Those guys know who stings and who throws lollypops.

JMO
Quick release. confidence get the ball out. Ball speed mph how quick it gets there. Joe Montana have to be the softest ball I've ever seen through. But it was always on the money. So does it really matter.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but I still say Jeff George had the best arm I’ve ever seen

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
None of it matters when you have a QB with accuracy problems. Like Dak......

Dak be like this:

jermichael-finley-terrible-first-pitch-amazing-first-pitch-gifs.gif
I guess you missed last season's playoffs. From Tom Brady to Patrick Mahomes . Jared Goff the worst was Nick Foles. It's hard to be accurate in some situations. Prescott is a winner

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
Ball speed is how fast the ball is flying
Big arm would be throwing farther and able to make every throw

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Ball speed is how fast the ball is flying
Big arm would be throwing farther and able to make every throw

If you throw the ball the fastest, isn't it going to go the farthest also with the right trajectory?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I take it as ball speed is how fast/hard the ball is thrown. its not necessarily a quick release but the speed of the ball after the release to the receiver. Namath/Elway comes to mind for their ball speed but theres a lot more. Big arm is the ability to throw for distance. Bobby Douglas of the Bears was said to be able to throw it 90 yards. Jeff George also had a big arm (70+ yards). You need accuracy to go with a big arm. Elway and Marino are 2 that come to mind that had both (Marino also had the quick release)

Marino could not throw the ball exceptionally far. Go back and watch the NFL QB challenge videos....he could barely throw it 60 yards while guys like Testaverde and Cunningham were throwing close to 80 yds. Marino's claim to fame was his quick release, his decision making and his accuracy. He used to smoke everyone on the challenge where you had to read the open moving targets and then hit a target.

HonestOffer

Reaction score
If you throw the ball the fastest, isn't it going to go the farthest also with the right trajectory?

Assuming a tight spiral, yes. You could throw a ball that had a high initial velocity but that didn’t cover as much distance because of increased resistance. I would guess that “arm talent” would some combination of accuracy, initial velocity, and RPM.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree with the idea that Big Arm means that you can throw the ball downfield for a goodly distance. Ball Speed is really zip or throwing the ball on a line. I actually think they are used in place of one another a lot. One is not the same as the other but I often see the term "Big Arm" to mean a QB who can throw for a great distance and can hum it.

A good example of the Difference is Troy Aikman. Troy really didn't throw a great deep ball. However, he could throw the 20 yard out as well as any QB I've ever seen. Troy could bring it and he was dead on accurate. That ball got there on a line, in a hurry and right between the eyes if you didn't get your head around, but he didn't throw a very good deep ball, especially to the sideline.
Quincy Carter could throw deep, fast and on a line.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
None of it matters when you have a QB with accuracy problems. Like Dak......

Dak be like this:

jermichael-finley-terrible-first-pitch-amazing-first-pitch-gifs.gif
At least Dak can get the pass off. Plus, Dak has been #1 in "tight window throws" accuracy 2 out of his first 3 years.

So much for false accusations.

kskboys

Reaction score
No one knows.

Not even the people that use them.
Yup.

Big arm is a media term.

The comparison should be between the terms "ball speed" and "carry". A QB can throw darts at 40 yards, but be unable to throw the deep ball. Troy Aikman was like this. He could toss the 40 yarder on a rope, but did not have a good deep ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
I can't imagine a case where you can throw a ball a high speed but can't throw it far. Only difference would be trajectory.
It's not. There are people who don't throw all that hard but have tremendous carry, and vice versa.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I can't imagine a case where you can throw a ball a high speed but can't throw it far. Only difference would be trajectory.

Guys who throw a tight softer spiral will throw it farther than a stronger arm with a less tight or wobbly spiral. The speed of the rotation will affect distance as well.