Ball speed versus Big Arm

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The only thing I was saying about Joe was. I can't believe what a slow pretty ball he threw. And it was always on target. But you're right that's why he failed with Kansas City

I don't know that I would say he failed. I would say that in KC, we saw a Joe Cool who was not playing with Jerry Rice and all the other great Offensive talent for sure. But we also saw a Joe who was entering his 14th season when he arrived in KC, after having played for 13 years in an NFL. That was, and you can argue the point if you wish but I saw it, a much tougher League on QBs. Nothing last forever and I feel like that was the case with Joe in KC. I'd say that it was probably a bit of both but that's just my opinion.

ondaedg

Reaction score
good points...I think a lot of what you said is true. some activities, as unconventional as it may sound, lead to skills/ability in other areas....I remember Jerry rice once said he used to work for his uncle brick construction business or something, catching bricks all day.. they would be throwing bricks to get it from the pile to the wall and he said, I other caught it or I got hurt. he had one of the best hands in NFL ever (yes, plus route running too)....

and yes, wrist strength defintley has something to do with it...timing it of all of course, that last snap of the wrist, at the right time in the throw just adds that zip....we have heard announcers say, he just got it there with a flip of his wrist....

Araon Rodgers can launch missiles on the run with a flip of the wrist. Never seen anyone do it like he can.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Moral of the story.

Dak doesn’t have a “cannon” or an exceptionally powerful arm.

However, he does have the arm strength needed to make all of the necessary NFL throws.

If Dak is unsuccessful, arm strength won’t be the reason why.

His footwork is the issue.

If Dak actually worked on his mechanics a little, which he seems unwilling to do, he could have tremendous velocity. His frame, with a compact throwing motion, would be incredibly acute and powerful. His shoulders are so broad that if he kept his elbow tucked and the ball held at the right angle, he'd be throwing everying <30 yard on a rope. Unfortunately, as great of a guy and locker room presence and I guess leader as he is, the entire team including himself seem resigned to his faults instead of trying to improve them.

This is the single biggest reason why I don't want to hand him a huge contract. If he's already content before getting $150M, what's he gonna be like after?

HungryLion

Reaction score
If Dak actually worked on his mechanics a little, which he seems unwilling to do, he could have tremendous velocity. His frame, with a compact throwing motion, would be incredibly acute and powerful. His shoulders are so broad that if he kept his elbow tucked and the ball held at the right angle, he'd be throwing everying <30 yard on a rope. Unfortunately, as great of a guy and locker room presence and I guess leader as he is, the entire team including himself seem resigned to his faults instead of trying to improve them.

This is the single biggest reason why I don't want to hand him a huge contract. If he's already content before getting $150M, what's he gonna be like after?

I’ve seen nothing that shows he doesn’t try to improve his mechanics.

His mechanics have improved since he was in college. Unfortunately they still get messy at times when he is under pressure.

It can take a long time for a QB to develop and improve their footwork. Sometimes they never succeed in getting it past a certain level, despite their best efforts.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I’ve seen nothing that shows he doesn’t try to improve his mechanics.

His mechanics have improved since he was in college. Unfortunately they still get messy at times when he is under pressure.

It can take a long time for a QB to develop and improve their footwork. Sometimes they never succeed in getting it past a certain level, despite their best efforts.

His mechanics under any sort of pressure are abysmal. He shows no consistency between long arming and short arming his throws. He still doesn't know how to put touch on a quick pass. His elbow is out there all over the place. Watch the film. These are all because his mechanics are a mess. He's reliably unreliable with his mechanics. He might be working on it and being crippled with atrocious QB coaching. If so, I don't hold out much hope for his mechanics to improve going forward, do you?

kskboys

Reaction score
His mechanics under any sort of pressure are abysmal. He shows no consistency between long arming and short arming his throws. He still doesn't know how to put touch on a quick pass. His elbow is out there all over the place. Watch the film. These are all because his mechanics are a mess. He's reliably unreliable with his mechanics. He might be working on it and being crippled with atrocious QB coaching. If so, I don't hold out much hope for his mechanics to improve going forward, do you?
W/ Jon Kitna taking over? Why wouldn't you?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
W/ Jon Kitna taking over? Why wouldn't you?

I also love the fact that Dak is a gamer and no stage seems too big - - a feature that can't be overlooked in a QB. He's a good leader and a great athlete. He knows how to take, and avoid shots in the open field. I think his passing has improved each year, it's just been affected by things out of his control. If his mechanics were more solid, it would simply help him be more consistent in his ball placement which would help his timing with receivers.

He's our QB and our QB of the future and I have his back now, with that revelation. I'm simply speaking on things, like all of us have, that he could improve upon.

Honestly, there isn't a better QB coach on the roster than Garret. I can't stand him as an OC or HC, but his mechanics were pristine. His timing was perfect. I don't even want Dak to take much of anything from Garrett, but I would love for them to have enough of a bond for Garrett to swallow his own chode and help his QB.

Am I allowed to say chode?

kskboys

Reaction score
I also love the fact that Dak is a gamer and no stage seems too big - - a feature that can't be overlooked in a QB. He's a good leader and a great athlete. He knows how to take, and avoid shots in the open field. I think his passing has improved each year, it's just been affected by things out of his control. If his mechanics were more solid, it would simply help him be more consistent in his ball placement which would help his timing with receivers.

He's our QB and our QB of the future and I have his back now, with that revelation. I'm simply speaking on things, like all of us have, that he could improve upon.

Honestly, there isn't a better QB coach on the roster than Garret. I can't stand him as an OC or HC, but his mechanics were pristine. His timing was perfect. I don't even want Dak to take much of anything from Garrett, but I would love for them to have enough of a bond for Garrett to swallow his own chode and help his QB.

Am I allowed to say chode?
Yup. And there is reason to believe Kitna is the guy who might be able to help. I do know he helped Romo a ton when he was the backup here.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Yup. And there is reason to believe Kitna is the guy who might be able to help. I do know he helped Romo a ton when he was the backup here.

I'm all about it man. I think he's good enough he's not gonna get worse, so it's all a plus or a push at this point, until the replace the head coach