Beat the Skins - Add a WR on the bye week?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You aren't trading at a premium? You're just trading. It happens every season.
Lately teams have actually been overvaluing draft picks, so you get solid contributors for low round picks (Gordon for 5th, Bennett for 6th, Ajayi for 4th etc etc). So youre trading at a discount not a premium.

There is no premium, so we should stop saying that. Who says the guy we'd trade for doesnt give us much more than we do now?

Then in the 2nd paragraph you say "I think WR is an area we can easily improve" after JUST saying in the 1st paragraph "I dont think thered be a significant upgrade for us" regarding the WR position. So which one is it? Is it easy to improve or is it not?

And you're saying don't trade a premium pick on a receiver, but also saying spend a premium pick on one in the offseason.

It’s both, because the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

I don’t think anybody’s trading a WR off of their current roster that represents a significant upgrade mid-season. But I do think it’s a position you can improve in the draft or FA and that we’ll be in that market with Beasley up and Terrence probably off the roster next season.

And trading for a guy mid season does cost you a premium. The only time you do it is if you think you’ve got a shot and are willing to overpay. And the only time you let one go is when you think you don’t have a shot and are looking to liquidate to get capital to rebuild. You’re about as far as you’re going to get from the free agent market where teams actually can make deals for players. It’s simple supply and demand.

Sure there are Hurns-level guys out there teams might part with who’d cost less in terms of trade compensation, but that doesn’t get you anywhere.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Cooper's contract is up after this year. He's only making $7m.

He's also the only guy, mentioned in this thread, who I think could make any real difference in this offense.
No, they extended his rookie deal, he's $14 million next season. Over his last 30 games he's only broken 60yds 7 times. He has 33 drops over the last 3 seasons. Big name, small production.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Dallas beats Washington, it leaves Dal at 4-3 heading into the bye and securely in the NFC East hunt.

Front office can't be happy with the WR production. Do you think they add a WR in FA?

Teams with depth at WR-possible trade partners

NE- Phillip Dorsett/Kevin Hogan
LAC-Mike Williams/Tyrell Williams/Benjamin
MIA-Stills\Parker\Amendola
Raiders-Cooper\Nelson\Lafell\Bryant

Players who could help us: Hogan, Mike Williams, Stills, Cooper

A few of these I'm not sure would be upgrades at all, and I'm not sure any are notable enough upgrades to justify overpaying to get a player midseason that the other team isn't planning to trade. To me the only reason to overpay for a midseason trade (and that's what it takes with unsolicited trade offers mid season) is if the team has proven it is right on the cusp of contending for all the marbles and that one player can make the difference. Even then it may take the seller to be pretty much out of contention for a reasonable deal to be possible, and Oakland is the only one of the teams you listed that falls in that category.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
curious why Mike Williams name is on the list.speculation or did u read something.
I do see a Randy Gregory for Amari Cooper trade as possibility

A 2 time 1,000+ yard receiver for a DE with 2 career sacks who has spent more time suspended than playing? I don't see that at all.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
And trading for a guy mid season does cost you a premium. The only time you do it is if you think you’ve got a shot and are willing to overpay. And the only time you let one go is when you think you don’t have a shot and are looking to liquidate to get capital to rebuild.

Sure there are Hurns-level guys out there teams might part with who’d cost less in terms of trade compensation, but that doesn’t get you anywhere.

Trading midseason does not cost you a premium, that is made up and I have no idea where you're grabbing that from. I already said let's stop saying that because it is completely false, and I already proved it wrong. It's case by case, using blanket statements like that is ridiculous.

Need more? Jamie Collins for a 3rd. Are the Patriots not an annual contender? Patriots got Kyle Van Noy for a 6th. Where's the premium? Aqib Talib for a 3rd. Randy Moss for a 3rd. Marshawn Lynch for a 4th and 5th.
Are these Hurns level players?

Why why why idgit? I just pointed out Gordon was traded for a 5th and you reply with this?

In conclusion, I'll map it out.

1. Midseason you pay a discount, not a premium. That's pretty obvious given history and bad teams wanting to unload in order to get better draft position. You get more bang for your buck midseason than offseason.
2. There's already evidence that some WR who would be a significant upgrade have been made available(Cooper and Hilton). So while you might think there isnt any available, there is. It's been made public that there is.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't think our issues at WR are so significant that we have to pay a premium to bring one in, and I don't think a team is going to be looking to deal any WR who'd actually be a significant upgrade for us for 2018, anyway. So you'd end up trading at a premium for a guy that doesn't give you much more than you have right now.

But I do think WR is an area where we can easily improve this roster when we're at a point in the year where good ones are available. That could also be in FA if it's not a feeding frenzy like it was last season, but I'd rather spend the pick on one since it's cheaper.

Hurns was supposed to be our #1, if a low quality one, and he's been a bust, no one has really exceeded expectations except maybe Austin, and now he's injured. Hurns meh, Austin, and Williams out.

Gallup, Beasley, Butler, Thompson left. Think of the miniscule cap hit for all of them together. We've got very very little left.

Good chance that Butler gets his wish and becomes a de facto starter after all. I'm interested in seeing it. I thought they should have used him much more last year.

The issue is significant in terms of our competitiveness this year. if we think we can contend this year, we should upgrade and be willing to pay extra. If not, keep building the team and only take a player who seems like a good value looking to the future.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Trading midseason does not cost you a premium, that is made up and I have no idea where you're grabbing that from. I already said let's stop saying that because it is completely false, and I already proved it wrong. It's case by case, using blanket statements like that is ridiculous.

Need more? Jamie Collins for a 3rd. Are the Patriots not an annual contender? Patriots got Kyle Van Noy for a 6th. Where's the premium? Aqib Talib for a 3rd. Randy Moss for a 3rd. Marshawn Lynch for a 4th and 5th.

Why why why idgit? I just pointed out Gordon was traded for a 5th and you reply with this?

1. Midseason you pay a discount, not a premium. That's pretty obvious given history and bad teams wanting to unload in order to get better draft position. You get more bang for your buck midseason than offseason.
2. There's already evidence that some WR who would be a significant upgrade have been made available(Cooper and Hilton). So while you might think there isnt any available, there is. It's been made public that there is.

You may or may not pay a premium. Depends on circumstance.

Certainly, if we get a discount, we should grab a guy. We've got very little left at WR right now, with Hurns stinking, and Austin and Williams out. We're going to be looking to bring in guys next year anyway. May as well start now.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You may or may not pay a premium. Depends on circumstance.

Certainly, if we get a discount, we should grab a guy. We've got very little left at WR right now, with Hurns stinking, and Austin and Williams out. We're going to be looking to bring in guys next year anyway. May as well start now.

Depends on circumstance-case by case

I agree

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurns was supposed to be our #1, if a low quality one, and he's been a bust, no one has really exceeded expectations except maybe Austin, and now he's injured. Hurns meh, Austin, and Williams out.

Gallup, Beasley, Butler, Thompson left. Think of the miniscule cap hit for all of them together. We've got very very little left.

Good chance that Butler gets his wish and becomes a de facto starter after all. I'm interested in seeing it. I thought they should have used him much more last year.

The issue is significant in terms of our competitiveness this year. if we think we can contend this year, we should upgrade and be willing to pay extra. If not, keep building the team and only take a player who seems like a good value looking to the future.

Who’s the player? And at what cost?

I’m mostly against it because I haven’t heard any impact players being shopped and I do t want to overpay for an “ok” WR.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Who’s the player? And at what cost?

I’m mostly against it because I haven’t heard any impact players being shopped and I do t want to overpay for an “ok” WR.

We shouldn't overpay, and certainly not for an OK player. But starting free agency early and taking the rights to a player we'd want next year anyway is alright.

We may take no one, and just bring Brown back. People used to talk him up a lot more. With Hurns being a dud, maybe Brown takes gets more snaps as a possession guy, particularly in the red zone. He was supposed to be the low budget Dez for that kind of thing. That he can run block ups his red zone value.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If Dallas beats Washington, it leaves Dal at 4-3 heading into the bye and securely in the NFC East hunt.

Front office can't be happy with the WR production. Do you think they add a WR in FA?

Teams with depth at WR-possible trade partners

NE- Phillip Dorsett/Kevin Hogan
LAC-Mike Williams/Tyrell Williams/Benjamin
MIA-Stills\Parker\Amendola
Raiders-Cooper\Nelson\Lafell\Bryant

Players who could help us: Hogan, Mike Williams, Stills, Cooper
I wouldn't fool around with adding a wr. What Dallas needs to do is work on creativity for the rest of the season.

fredp22

Reaction score
A 2 time 1,000+ yard receiver for a DE with 2 career sacks who has spent more time suspended than playing? I don't see that at all.
ur prob right and pick may have to be added but Amari has that 13mm salary balloon next year, has fallen out of favor last 2 years, team has already hinted they want to trade him, as well as needing a DE something could prob be worked out with this team Jerry likes to trade with

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ur prob right and pick may have to be added but Amari has that 13mm salary balloon next year, has fallen out of favor last 2 years, team has already hinted they want to trade him, as well as needing a DE something could prob be worked out with this team Jerry likes to trade with

I didn't read the article myself, but a day or two ago somebody posted an article that said Oakland was willing to trade Cooper for a 1st round pick. If that's truly the asking price I would have to say hell no. If they would take somebody like Gregory and a 3rd rounder, maybe so, but even then the question has to be asked if Cooper is worth $13 million, and we would also have to consider how much time is left on his contract, and what other options we might have in the offseason. Unfortunately, given Gregory's history of suspensions and lack of sacks, I just don't see him being that enticing to Oakland.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Parker for a 6th with the possibility of turning into a 5th, along with their 7th.

He would instantly be the best wr on the team

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Aqib Talib was traded for a 5th, and that was out-of-season, and a good trade.

Kyle Van Noy was a great trade for the Patriots. But he was a bust in DET and they got him for a song. That's not what we're discussing here. If we're talking giving up a 6th and getting back a WR we think has a shot and a 7th, great.

If you're talking about the trade that sent Moss to NE, that was for a 4th and out-of-season, but it was a great trade. The trade from the Pats to the Vikes was in-season. It was for a 3rd rounder (which is a one round premium--3 years later--to his previous trade. He didn't even last 4 weeks.

Lynch was traded out-of-season. Gordon has a huge history, and was traded, injured, after reportedly showing up and behaving strangely with the Browns. He's played 3 games in NE and has 124 yards and 1 TD. He's missed two seasons due to substance abuse.

Mid-season trades are basically for bad teams to cut their salary cap losses and unload players to good teams who still happen to have cap room. That's fine, if the guy you're acquiring is capable and you don't mind giving up picks and taking on the contract obligation. What it's more likely to do, though, is get you a guy like Amari Cooper who's relatively expensive for his production and who would have to be extended as a condition of the trade. I just don't have a lot of interest in a guy like that. If the deal is sweet enough, sure. But I don't see that happening.