...beautiful actresses...

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
I've had an interest in beautiful woman actors for a long time...OK 40 maybe 50 minutes....anyway,there's this err person who wants to yak about this subject and needed a "beard' to get this thread going..so....my favourite actor (who wore a dress...Montgomery Clift aside) was a staple of my youth....trained I suspect NOT in 'the Method school" but still very believable was Dale Evans...when all the kids waited for Roy (Rogers)...I waited for Dale to appear....she had a horse named "tinkerbell"...or was that Pat Brady's jeep...hell that might have been Pat Brady...anyway she was cool...she wore great skirts...a kickass hat...made great biscuits and well generally made me long for the days out West...since I lived in Brooklyn at the time that would have been say,Jersey City....(there I've exhausted my knowledge of the subject)LTN,get your tush in here.....

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Here you go...Dale Evans :D

dale.evans.jpg

Just kidding. :D

FSE5a.JPG

WOOO HOOO!​

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ibis said:
I've had an interest in beautiful woman actors for a long time...OK 40 maybe 50 minutes....anyway,there's this err person who wants to yak about this subject and needed a "beard' to get this thread going..so....my favourite actor (who wore a dress...Montgomery Clift aside) was a staple of my youth....trained I suspect NOT in 'the Method school" but still very believable was Dale Evans...when all the kids waited for Roy (Rogers)...I waited for Dale to appear....she had a horse named "tinkerbell"...or was that Pat Brady's jeep...hell that might have been Pat Brady...anyway she was cool...she wore great skirts...a kickass hat...made great biscuits and well generally made me long for the days out West...since I lived in Brooklyn at the time that would have been say,Jersey City....(there I've exhausted my knowledge of the subject)LTN,get your tush in here.....

These threads usually run along the lines of "who's hotter, Pam or Britney?"

But I'll throw a few names out there that make AMC worth it's weight on cable.

Ann Blythe - this was the sultriest brunette of the Blonde Bombshelll Era, and unlike Jane Russell, could act. There is a 1945 Joan Crawford tearjerker entitled "Mildred Pierce" in which an 18 year old Blythe is the epitome of sullen, spoiled ingenue, and such a screen presence that even Madame CoatHanger was reduced to a speck in the camera's eye. What happened to Blythe's career, I do not know. She seems to have turned out a B movie queen in the 50's and perhaps her type of beauty, think dark-haired Joey Heatherton, didn't age well. Maybe she just couldn't hold her box office own against the platimums. She seems to have fallen off the earth with "The Helen Morgan Story ' in the late 50's. If she became Shelly Winters, I don't want to know.

The Hepburns. Katherine, of course, was all tony WASP angles and careless elegance, and Audrey, a pert pre-Prada petite fashion icon. The signature roles were Holly Golightly and anything with Spencer Tracy, but these two stand above the crowd in terms of pure style. Audrey is to this day a cult icon in Japan, where her tiny features, doe like eyes, and size 0 frame made her a much more likely role model there than the bosumy blondes. Demure, with spunk, and impeccably dressed. Katherine, formidably stautesque, was saved by that voice tremour, I think. It was the only thing spoke of vulnerability about her, and without it, I doubt there would have been as much love come with those Oscars.

I will get Haywood, Monroe, and Fonda later. ;)

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite babes...Detective Scully from the X Files

scully_05.jpg

scully_49.jpg

scully.jpg
8-Scully1.jpg
x-files475[1].jpg
cap193[2].jpg

OK that should be enough. :D

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
I thought she did a stunning job in the House of Mirth. Riveting, in fact.

That was a casting coup on the Tarantino level, imo.

Never could have imagined her as an Edith Wharton heroine, wasp-waisted in Victorian garb, so understated in such a tragic role.

I thought she was flat out fascinating, and that role would garner her some of the Paltrow (yuck) seconds...but as usual, box office trumps performance.

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
These threads usually run along the lines of "who's hotter, Pam or Britney?"

But I'll throw a few name out there that make AMC worth it's weight on cable.

Ann Blythe - this was the sultriest brunette of the Blonde Bomshelll Era, and unlike Jane Russell, could act. There is a 1945 Joan Crawford tearjerker entitled "Mildred Pierce" in which an 18 year old Blythe is the epitome of sullen, spoiled engenue, and such a screen presence that even Madame CoatHanger was rduced to a speck in the camera's eye. What happened to Blythe's career, I do not know. She seems to have turned out a B movie queen in the 50's and perhaps her type of beauty, think dark-haired Joey Heatherton, didn't age well. Maybe she just couldn't hold her box office own against the platimums. She seems to have fallen off the earth with "The Helen Morgan Story ' in the late 50's. If she became Shelly Winters, I don't want to know.

The Hepburns. Katherine, of course, was all tony WASP angles and careless elegance, and Audrey, a pert pre-Prada petite fashion icon. The signature roles were Holly Golightly and anything with Spencer Tracy, but these two stand above the crowd in terms of pure style. Audrey is to this day a cult icon in Japan, where her tiny features, doe like eyes, and size 0 frame made her a much more likely role model there than the bosumy blondes. Demure, with spunk, and impeccably dressed. Katherine, formidably stautesque, was saved by that voice tremour, I think. It was the only thing spoke of vulnerability about her, and without it, I doubt there would have been as much love come with those Oscars.

I will get Haywood, Monroe, and Fonda later. ;)
...of the Heatherton's,I was partial to the dad,Ray..who was the merry mailman on saturday morning tv...Ms Winters,most years,as big as a buick...could have hidden a lot of things under her dress...including the small-boned Ms Blythe...this being holloween,I am augmented by P & P...prada handbag, (la) perla panties....I have nothing on the Hepburns,other than having spent a week in Japan..that sex-crazed land sees a lot more about Audrey than those doe like eyes...and finally,I was happy to be your beard..and between you and me (and the eight or nine people who will read this)...Juke would have done the same thing....you're evidently his "MUSE"...and if the voting booth is still open...................Pam....

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ibis said:
..and if the voting booth is still open...................Pam....

Ugh. That's how far we've fallen even with our sex symbols. It used to be about tease, now it's sheer sleaze.

My election day vote for the sexiest woman to EVER grace the silver screen is MM. I cannot watch one of her scenes without wanting to freeze frame. She was fascinating, entrancing, softly delcious, pouty full mouth and what almond, long lashed eyes. Of course, from the Mailer bio (who nailed her, figuratively speaking) to the recent trumpeting of Marilyn as the rediscovered "feminists' favorite sex symbol" (there's a take for only the most convoluted minds, but I ascribe to it), it's been one take after another re the "secret" of her appeal.

What secret? - her image was just sex appeal personified. Easy, willing, and lucious. Not a classic beauty in the Garbo-Taylor-Phifer mold, still, were I a guy, there would be NO contest between the cold, brittle, elegant beauties and the ultimate living doll. Some of it was manufactured - tho thankfully silicone was not a component - but there were nose and chin surgeries (her's was rather receding), yet it was mere tweaking a level of adorability, not constructing it, as is the norm today. The signature breathless voice too, was an act, but fell far short of the deliberate, driven, calculated self-invention of a Madonna.

As much as a Hollywood sex symbol could be 'natural', I think she was, because something very raw, very powerful - all powerful - emanated from this woman. She was like Zola's Nana, (a MUST read) bringing men to their knees without calculation, design, revenge. Her sex appeal wasn't the weapon later generations of beauties used to ascend; it was complicity - I LIKE men, in fact I LOVE "it", I'm not just "recreation", I'm the brass ring - a mutual, shared celebration of nature, and life.

She was ALIVE, in a way none of these anorexic, ticked-off-looking super models could get across. She was all lush curves to their boyish angles. Geez if you want a WOMAN, she was it. Yes, her image was that of a real woman for real men, those not afraid of the power of femininity, who wanted to drown in it..beautiful beyond words, but not unobtainable, not forbidden, not out of your league - because she was NOT a cold- hearted B***H. Now THAT's a seductress.

The (in) famous walk in Niagara, the comedic talent of Some Like It Hot, the growing "method" influence of The Misfits, and best of all the whispering, horn rimmed glassed 'dumb' blonde of Gentlemen Prefer....diamonds are a girl's best friend, yum.

One of my compatibilty litmus tests - so what do you think of Marilyn. ;)

I just adore her.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
mariska.jpg

Mariska Hargitay

and her mother...

Man3764.jpg

Jayne Mansfield

Good genes... :D

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
The (in) famous walk in Niagara, the comedic talent of Some Like It Hot, the growing "method" influence of The Misfits, and best of all the whispering, horn rimmed glassed 'dumb' blonde of Gentlemen Prefer....diamonds are a girl's best friend, yum.

I just adore her.

Marilyn will always be a beautiful woman...but I have to ask, a slight shocker to me I must admit, Do you like or listen to the Misfits?

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Ugh. That's how far we've fallen even with our sex symbols. It used to be about tease, now it's sheer sleaze.

My election day vote for the sexiest woman to EVER grace the silver screen is MM. I cannot watch one of her scenes without wanting to freeze frame. She was fascinating, entrancing, softly delcious, pouty full mouth and what almond, long lashed eyes. Of course, from the Mailer bio (who nailed her, figuratively speaking) to the recent trumpeting of Marilyn as the rediscovered "feminists' favorite sex symbol" (there's a take for only the most convoluted minds, but I ascribe to it), it's been one take after another re the "secret" of her appeal.

What secret? - her image was just sex appeal personified. Easy, willing, and lucious. Not a classic beauty in the Garbo-Taylor-Phifer mold, still, were I a guy, there would be NO contest between the cold, brittle, elegant beauties and the ultimate living doll. Some of it was manufactured - tho thankfully silicone was not a component - but there were nose and chin surgeries (her's was rather receding), yet it was mere tweaking a level of adorability, not constructing it, as is the norm today. The signature breathless voice too, was an act, but fell far short of the deliberate, driven, calculated self-invention of a Madonna.

As much as a Hollywood sex symbol could be 'natural', I think she was, because something very raw, very powerful - all powerful - emanated from this woman. She was like Zola's Nana, (a MUST read) bringing men to their knees without calculation, design, revenge. Her sex appeal wasn't the weapon later generations of beauties used to ascend; it was complicity - I LIKE men, in fact I LOVE "it", I'm not just "recreation", I'm the brass ring - a mutual, shared celebration of nature, and life.

She was ALIVE, in a way none of these anorexic, ticked-off-looking super models could get across. She was all lush curves to their boyish angles. Geez if you want a WOMAN, she was it. Yes, her image was that of a real woman for real men, those not afraid of the power of femininity, who wanted to drown in it..beautiful beyond words, but not unobtainable, not forbidden, not out of your league - because she was NOT a cold- hearted B***H. Now THAT's a seductress.

I just adore her.
....the segue from Pam into MM...the sleight of hand worthy of a magician...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
I don't like Mansfield. She was a Hollywood attempt to imitate MM, the feeling being two or three more inches of bosum is even better. But she had zero talent, was all sleaze, and the "dresses" her handlers put her in featured sewn in metal brassieres that thrust her already preposterous Dolly Partons out like those 50's Buicks headlights. But at least they were authentic.

She started as a joke, and tragically ended. If you stripped off the make up, I know she looked mannish - long jaw, masculine chin. She couldn't hold a candle to MM, in any way. But she did have that all pink bedroom.

I don't know the daughter's work at all. Is she a serious actor? I don't think her face is at all pretty - that nose. Could be the pic.

BTW, instead of just posting pics, how about saying what it is you find beautiful in the women? I know the sports board complment runs more to the charming "I'd hit that", but sometimes I wonder what it is you guys see and how you'd describe or explain it. Like, when you are telling a woman you find her beautiful - what do you say? How do you define the attractiveness?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ibis said:
....the segue from Pam into MM...the sleight of hand worthy of a magician...
You too, stop copping out. It's amazing to me you guys get any. I think I'd make a better man than any of you. At least I have a true appreciation of beauty, or my perception of it, at least.

Name a woman you find attractive and tell us why.

Pay verbal homage to a female actor (we eschew the word actress) or stay out of my thread.. ;)

trickblue

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I don't know the daughter's work at all. Is she a serious actor? I don't think her face is at all pretty - that nose. Could be the pic.

BTW, instead of just posting pics, how about saying what it is you find beautiful in the women? I know the sports board complment runs more to the charming "I'd hit that", but sometimes I wonder what it is you guys see and how you'd describe or explain it. Like, when you are telling a woman you find her beautiful - what do you say? How do you define the attractiveness?

Mariska Hargitay is a fine actress and plays Det. Olivia Benson on "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"

I find Mariska attractive because she is a classic beauty and has a very understated sexiness about her... She is also proof that a 40 year old woman can be very attractive...

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
I don't like Mansfield. She was a Hollywood attempt to imitate MM, the feeling being two or three more inches of bosum is even better. But she had zero talent, was all sleaze, and the "dresses" her handlers put her in featured sewn in metal brassieres that thrust her already preposterous Dolly Partons out like those 50's Buicks headlights. But at least they were authentic.

She started as a joke, and tragically ended. If you stripped off the make up, I know she looked mannish - long jaw, masculine chin. She couldn't hold a candle to MM, in any way. But she did have that all pink bedroom.

... I am happily married so I get more than enough sex...(sic)...but,if I were single...I would truncate the whole dating scene down to its bare bones essence.....two words would about do it.........how much?

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
You too, stop copping out. It's amazing to me you guys get any. I think I'd make a better man than any of you. At least I have a true appreciation of beauty, or my perception of it, at least.

Name a woman you find attractive and tell us why.

Pay verbal homage to a female actor (we eschew the word actress) or stay out of my thread.. ;)
..in front of all these people?....be back in a bit....(trots off to look up "eschew")

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Mariska Hargitay is a fine actress and plays Det. Olivia Benson on "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"

I find Mariska attractive because she is a classic beauty and has a very understated sexiness about her... She is also proof that a 40 year old woman can be very attractive...
Good!

Now we're getting somewhere!!!

I will check this actor out and as a conaisseur of beauty, let you know what I think.
When is that show on TV?

But seriously, TB, let's hear it for "understated" sexiness, beauty, or attractiveness. The kind that just creeps up on you, doesn't floor you the minute you walk in the room, but one day you go "hey, wow, just what it it this person's got?" That can be pretty, uhh, fatal.

I see proof all around me women over 40 can be very attractive. There are some women who were very lovely since girlhood who don't realize their power til that age - then they combine what nature gave and what experience has taught - and forget it - ;) But one more piece of evidence doesn't hurt.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
There are a lot of actresses over the years who have been beautiful women. This thread has focused more on some of the days gone by Screen Queens. I liked each of the following.

Marilyn Monroe
Raquel Welch
Sophia Loren
Babara Stanwyck
Audrey Hepburn
Ingrid Bergman

To me beauty is about so many things. It is about grace. That's why the most fitting name was given to one of the silver screens most dazzling women.

Grace Kelly, truly a princess in more ways than one.

gracekelly2.jpg

In Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart when she is going around the room turning on the lights she is simply breath taking.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ibis said:
... I am happily married so I get more than enough sex...(sic)...but,if I were single...I would truncate the whole dating scene down to its bare bones essence.....two words would about do it.........how much?
ROFL!

You should be "truncated", if you haven't been already..

I give up, tho.

It isn't about S-E-X, tho it's a lot about sexiness - and not the ubiquitious "he/she's 'hot" fall back - an easy LAZIER process (if that's possible)than the vulgar ratings system of my banal generation - "oh s/he's a seven".

I am PROFOUNDLY diappointed in you. I thought my and the latest generation had cornered the market on superficial relations. But maybe we just perfected it.

I repeat - it's not about sex, but romance, the lost art of flirtation, allure, the scent of lilacs mixed with sawdust or engine oil or any good basic GUY smell, and some old style charm, taking the time to discover, and celebrate what exactly it IS that makes that person so darn wonderful.

Bogart, baby.

Bogart and Bacall.

later

trickblue

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Good!I will check this actor out and as a conaisseur of beauty, let you know what I think.

When is that show on TV?

svu.jpg

NBC... it is an excellent show... you will like it LTN...