Beef: Talking Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CalPolyTechnique, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:03 PM.

1. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    14,546 Likes Received
    Has anyone else noticed on the past 2-3 episodes of the Talkin Cowboys podcast that Rob Phillips has grown increasingly incensed with Mickey Spagnola?

It seemed to come to a crescendo a week or two back when Phillips started barking at Mickey.

It’s been a hilarious subplot to the show.

2. Mr_C

Mr_C Carharris2

8,257 Messages
    8,361 Likes Received
    Good. I’ve been incensed with Micky for a while.

3. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

7,825 Messages
    15,847 Likes Received
    I noticed too. Having to argue a point against Mickey would be brutal. He is pretty hard headed.

4. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

3,879 Messages
    3,480 Likes Received
    Rob has always acted hateful to Mickey.

It was worse when the last girl as on the show cuz she’d egg rob on IMO.

Rob is the worst of all the members on ANY of those shows.

Not saying I’m a huge Mickey fan either but Rob needs to figure it out already

popp1234 and Jeffkills like this.
  5. Tangle_Foot

Tangle_Foot Well-Known Member

2,618 Messages
    9,429 Likes Received
  6. Corso

Corso Offseason mode... sleepy time

18,503 Messages
    31,177 Likes Received
    I simply don't choose to listen to sport's radio. I guess I like music too much.
    Interesting though!

408Cowboy, jjktkk, pitt33 and 2 others like this.
  7. _sturt_

_sturt_ Well-Known Member

1,813 Messages
    1,664 Likes Received
    Yes, and I've chuckled to myself at how Mickey's responded w/o really raising his voice at all or seeming to lurch back in some personal way... which kinda, in its own way, just makes Phillips look like some whiny teenager.

Mickey doesn't really bother me so much, even though you pretty much know what he's going to say before he says it if you've been listening/reading him for all these years. When you've been around as long as he has, I suppose you just learn how to take the guy.

Now... Broaddus?... Broaddus has become increasingly irritating with how he talks over and interrupts other people, and seems oblivious to how much he at times dominates the conversation. I liked him much better with Helman, Eatman and Stern when he was on Break, because it seemed he made a conscious effort to restrain himself. It's not like he doesn't have good things to say, and good things to ask... he brings good content.... but it's just how he participates that gets tiring and even abrasive sometimes.

Jeffkills, America's Cowboy and Dre11 like this.
  8. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,849 Messages
    3,401 Likes Received

Yeah he has because Mickey has been making him look like a fool. Of all of them , Phillip seems to be the one with the least knowledge of what's going on around the Cowboys.

America's Cowboy likes this.
  9. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,849 Messages
    3,401 Likes Received
    Yep Mickey embarrasses him.

10. Sepia

Sepia Well-Known Member

1,501 Messages
    4,090 Likes Received
    I haven’t listened in a few months, except for the most recent episode, but I’ve slways felt Rob hates Mickey.

11. CalPolyTechnique

10,345 Messages
    14,546 Likes Received
    Lot of strong feelings toward Rob Phillips which is surprising given that he’s the most inoffensive, straight-laced, vanilla, contributor on the podcast.

12. CalPolyTechnique

10,345 Messages
    14,546 Likes Received
    Example?

I think if you listen to the pod, especially the most recent one, the jokes on Mickey and he doesn’t seem to be aware of it.

13. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

3,530 Messages
    5,092 Likes Received
    I would love a team of Bryan, Nick, Dave, and Nate. Could do without everyone else

Jeffkills likes this.
  14. Duane

Duane Well-Known Member

6,987 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Me too, for about the last 20 years.

Mr_C and Melonfeud like this.
  15. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,849 Messages
    3,401 Likes Received
    I listen to all of them. One example was about the improvement of points per game once Cooper arrived. Phillips insinuated the offense not being good in the second half of the season.
    Another was the about the playoff game where the offense put up 28 points they were arguing whether the offense or defense was to blame. The only time the joke was on Mickey was about trading Lal Collins. When Broaddus need to know info, he defers to Mickey most of the times.

16. CalPolyTechnique

10,345 Messages
    14,546 Likes Received
    And Mickey was flat-out wrong. He twisted the numbers until they said “uncle.”

First he said the offense changed after Cooper got there. Then he said “in 7 of the 8 after he got there they averaged almost 27 points per game.”

Cooper played 9 games with Dallas last year. Mickey knows they scored just 14 points in his first game so he arbitrarily tosses that game out. Then, he knows they were shut out against Indy so he tosses that out too.

In the 9 games with Cooper (a distinction Mickey made) the team scored 192 points, which equates to 21.3 pts/game. In the 7 games they played without him they averaged an even 20.

Even if you arbitrarily throw out the Indy game (which Mickey did), the offense still averaged just 24 pts/game.

Mickey was claiming they averaged ~27 per game.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 10:27 PM
  17. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Well-Known Member

3,733 Messages
    11,129 Likes Received
    Good. Mickey “Jones” Spagnola is a complete joke as an objective “journalist”. He might as well be Jerry’s bodyguard. Never is heard a discouraging word.

A few years ago he was the reporter covering the Cowboys for DFWs best and most objective sports radio station, “The Ticket”. When Spags was doing his reports, most of the hosts asked him some tough, fair questions about the Cowboys lack of success at that time. He was a complete jerk, complete with whining and excuse making like the step dad he works for. His contract was was eventually not renewed. Good riddance. It’s ok to have alternate opinions, but he was a complete jerk of the highest order.

18. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

9,373 Messages
    8,830 Likes Received
    Nate was terrible. "Man, I try to tell everybody..."

That was the only thing he'd say.

Melonfeud likes this.
  19. CalPolyTechnique

10,345 Messages
    14,546 Likes Received
    You can tell the other hosts look at him as some kinda weird argumentative uncle you give a modicum of respect to because he’s “family.” In this case he’s sort of an institution with the team owned media department.

Melonfeud and Bobhaze like this.
  20. CalPolyTechnique

10,345 Messages
    14,546 Likes Received
    You forgot “Maaaaaaan, listen here....”