Behind the scenes with Hopkins

CCBoy

Reaction score
My final post on this topic...

Do you think the Cowboys should kick the tires on DeAndre Hopkins now that he has been released from the Cardinals? Why not go all in on the offense and bring him in on a one-year deal? – Stephen Smith/Coatesville, PA

Nick Eatman:
First of all, I've been a big fan of Hopkins throughout his career, especially if you play fantasy football and he's been on your team. Ok, so maybe not the last couple of seasons because he's been hurt, but when he's healthy, he produces at a high level and it doesn't really matter who's throwing him the ball. That to me, is a sign of a great receiver, when he produces despite changes at quarterback. It shows me he's more than just a system-player who thrives in the offense he's used to. Now, all that said, I don't think this is a good move for the Cowboys. I guess, that's just me assuming that the money is going to be lucrative. I am a little curious as to why no team in the league wanted to at least try to trade for him and then re-work his deal. That shows me that teams have at least inquired about him and know that signing him to a lesser-contract won't be that easy. So money is a big factor right now and considering the Cowboys have about four big contracts to sign in the next few months, I would think they can spend their money in better places. And then you factor in the overall need. Had they not traded for Brandin Cooks, this would be more appealing. But as it stands, they've got an All-Pro in CeeDee Lamb, plus Gallup and Cooks. I need to do the research on this one, but I'd like too see how many teams in the league right now have three receivers who have posted 1,000-yard seasons. The Cowboys have three and that alone, should be good enough to move this offense in the right direction. As tempting as it sounds, I'd pass on that one.

Patrik Walker: Brandin Cooks, that's why. If the second attempt to land Cooks via trade had faltered, as it did in October (this tells you just how badly the Cowboys want him, to try for him twice) then sure, I presume Dallas would be in on trying to land Hopkins much like they were in trying to land OBJ before moving on to T.Y. Hilton. But with Cooks in the fold and Gallup trending toward being back in prime form, and CeeDee Lamb being your definitive WR1, there's no reason the Cowboys will want to get into a bidding war to land Hopkins now; and his hangout session with Dez Bryant prior to his release isn't going to change that fact. The team has several big contract negotiations coming up (Lamb, Diggs, Parsons, etc) and they'll need every bit of their coin to get those locked down. Dropping a big bag on Hopkins (don't kid yourselves, he's not taking a discount to see fewer reps in Dallas now that he's FREE TO CHOOSE) doesn't make any sense financially, and doesn't make enough sense — roster-wise — right now. He'll have better opportunity, playing time and salary, elsewhere.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-should-cowboys-consider-hopkins

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When has there ever been a lot of talk about a veteran player that’s available and the Cowboys ended up signing them? You would have to go back to Deion and TO. Fans spent months and months talking about Earl Thomas coming to Dallas and it never happened. Many fans were chomping at the bit wanting the Cowboys to sign OBJ and it didn’t happen. Now here we are with fans clamoring for DeAndre Hopkins. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Cowboys sign him at a reasonable price but the chances of it happening are slim at best. The more we talk about it the less chance it’s going to happen. He would’ve been a great option before we signed Cooks.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When has there ever been a lot of talk about a veteran player that’s available and the Cowboys ended up signing them? You would have to go back to Deion and TO. Fans spent months and months talking about Earl Thomas coming to Dallas and it never happened. Many fans were chomping at the bit wanting the Cowboys to sign OBJ and it didn’t happen. Now here we are with fans clamoring for DeAndre Hopkins. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Cowboys sign him at a reasonable price but the chances of it happening are slim at best. The more we talk about it the less chance it’s going to happen. He would’ve been a great option before we signed Cooks.
This made me consider how individual fans feel about particular veteran players. I am definitely clamoring for DeAndre Hopkins despite how unlikely he will be signed. In my opinion, I shared Jerry Jones' desire to sign Deion Sanders, with the main reason being to snatch him away from Dallas' primary playoff rival in San Francisco.

I was kinda iffy about Earl Thomas. Thomas had the pedigree but whether he could deliver and be a dependable safety from day one here made my desire waffle a bit.

Odell Beckham and Terrell Owens? Never wanted either player. If anything, I was guilty of clamoring for Jones to not sign either player. Ever.

One thing is certain. There have only been rare occasions when a prospective veteran player received near universal fan support to be signed. Most candidates receive a ton of yelling and demand in the foreground while getting some silence with disapproval in the background.

blueblood70

Reaction score
man soem dreamy fans with head in the clouds ignoring the salary cap and the roster limit per position.. seriously Cook and Hopkins :muttley: :lmao2: :lmao: :popcorn:o_O

neither are happening.