Bengals releasing Andy Dalton

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys thought they were a contender, they would have a legitimate backup QB on the roster.

If Dak has to miss 4 games, there's some hope a guy like Dalton could get you 2-2 during that time and maintain playoff contention. I dont think anyone feels that way about Cooper or Rush or the NUCE.
Yeah, but we have Cooper AND Rush. We had them merged.

Flamma

Reaction score
as much as I disliked Winston he should've been brought in to compete. Same with Dalton. Absolutely no reason to overpay the QB position, just need a guy who doesn't absolutely suck and we're golden. Dak is a guy who doesn't absolutely suck, but at 30m+ it's not worth it.

I'm more comfortable with Dalton even though he's not half the player Winston is. But Jameis just can't stop turning that ball over. It's a mental thing that cannot be ignored. He's like a drunk Romo. I don't want him anywhere near this team. Dalton is probably a decent backup, that's it.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I'd take him as our backup but he'll end up starting somewhere else. Patriots might be a good fit.

erod

Reaction score
Dalton actually won a lot of games for that cheap owner and craphole organization.

That's Joe Burrows' cross to bare now.

He's be a great backup option. It would also put pressure on Dak to sign, which I don't want. I'm hoping for the franchise tag.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak has enough competition with Ben coming on board. But seriously MM would rather have a younger guy to develop over the next few years.

You need to have both. Ben is not competition for anybody. DiNucci will be lucky if he makes the Practice Squad. Seriously, MM wouldn't rather have DiNucci or Rush as his backup IMO. Why would he? DiNucci has never ever started one game in the NFL and Rush, apparently isn't good enough to start or he already would have. I think McCarthy would rather have an experienced backup, as opposed to either of those guys. Relying on either one of those guys to be your starter is asking for trouble, IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It worked out pretty well for the Eagles when Foles came in from the veteran backup position and won a Super Bowl. Bridgewater came in and held serve till Brees came back too

No reason not to have veteran depth at the most important position on the team
It worked out well but who's to say it wouldn't have worked out better if they had a young quarterback and put him in and lost? Eagles won the Super Bowl so they should have no regrets.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You need to have both. Ben is not competition for anybody. DiNucci will be lucky if he makes the Practice Squad. Seriously, MM wouldn't rather have DiNucci or Rush as his backup IMO. Why would he? DiNucci has never ever started one game in the NFL and Rush, apparently isn't good enough to start or he already would have. I think McCarthy would rather have an experienced backup, as opposed to either of those guys. Relying on either one of those guys to be your starter is asking for trouble, IMO.

MM seemed excited to have the little D QB. MM definately wanted him here. Now of course DiNucci has to step up to earn a spot but if it is close my bet is MM keeps him here. None of the backups pose a threat to Dak as the starter unless injury and that is how Jerry likes it through his entire tenure as Owner. We rarely if ever pay for high priced backups and that is probably not an option given the money they are about to pay Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MM seemed excited to have the little D QB. MM definately wanted him here. Now of course DiNucci has to step up to earn a spot but if it is close my bet is MM keeps him here. None of the backups pose a threat to Dak as the starter unless injury and that is how Jerry likes it through his entire tenure as Owner. We rarely if ever pay for high priced backups and that is probably not an option given the money they are about to pay Dak.

Oh, I'm not denying that he might be excited about DiNucci but being excited about a young player and having a QB who can come in, game one of the next season and give you the chance to win that game are two different things.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Dalton?

tenor.gif

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh, I'm not denying that he might be excited about DiNucci but being excited about a young player and having a QB who can come in, game one of the next season and give you the chance to win that game are two different things.

yea that's not what they want. Maybe MM wants that but that is not what the Jones family has ever done. Heck they barely invest a draft pick when we need a QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
yea that's not what they want. Maybe MM wants that but that is not what the Jones family has ever done. Heck they barely invest a draft pick when we need a QB.

You would think that after losing Tony in like 2015 and last year, with what is supposedly an injured Prescott, that Jerry would figure out that we need a quality backup. I mean, if you are a young developing team that is trying to reach .500, then yeah, I get not spending on an experienced backup. But if you have a chance to compete for a championship, if you have a shot, then I think you gotta spend some to get somebody who could make a difference for you.

Look at it this way, if you are middle of the road and you lose your starting QB, then the worst thing that happens is you end up losing a few more games and drafting in the top 10. If you are a good team and you lose a few more games then you otherwise might have, you are out of the playoffs and you are stuck in the middle of the draft where you can't get a good enough player to be an impact guy for you and you aren't good enough to actually make progress and get playoff experience or maybe win a championship.

That's how I see it.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You would think that after losing Tony in like 2015 and last year, with what is supposedly an injured Prescott, that Jerry would figure out that we need a quality backup. I mean, if you are a young developing team that is trying to reach .500, then yeah, I get not spending on an experienced backup. But if you have a chance to compete for a championship, if you have a shot, then I think you gotta spend some to get somebody who could make a difference for you.

Look at it this way, if you are middle of the road and you lose your starting QB, then the worst thing that happens is you end up losing a few more games and drafting in the top 10. If you are a good team and you lose a few more games then you otherwise might have, you are out of the playoffs and you are stuck in the middle of the draft where you can't get a good enough player to be an impact guy for you and you aren't good enough to actually make progress and get playoff experience or maybe win a championship.

That's how I see it.

Romo missed 2015 and while they did want a better prospect they didn't exactly go all out to get the best QB on their board. Yes it worked out but at the time instead of taking the guy they rated better they waited till nearly the 5th round after losing out on a few guys they wanted. Since then we've spent another 5th round pick on mike white and now a 7th. That's not much draft capital on the most important position. I don't disagree with your theory just that they aren't gearing up for a playoff run and they will not invest in a good backup that has proven he can play.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Romo missed 2015 and while they did want a better prospect they didn't exactly go all out to get the best QB on their board. Yes it worked out but at the time instead of taking the guy they rated better they waited till nearly the 5th round after losing out on a few guys they wanted. Since then we've spent another 5th round pick on mike white and now a 7th. That's not much draft capital on the most important position. I don't disagree with your theory just that they aren't gearing up for a playoff run and they will not invest in a good backup that has proven he can play.

All the more reason but when you say they didn't go all out, they still spent a 4th round pick on a QB. I mean, it's not like they waited till the 7th or got a UFA to be the backup and BTW, they also had Moore who would have been the backup on that team. My only point is that I don't think that this team deserves to be in a situation where Rush is your back or your possible starter, based on what I've seen of him, and I don't believe the young kid is ready to play this next season either. I think you gotta do better by the fans and the players then just signing a scrub, like they've done in the past.

JMO

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All the more reason but when you say they didn't go all out, they still spent a 4th round pick on a QB. I mean, it's not like they waited till the 7th or got a UFA to be the backup and BTW, they also had Moore who would have been the backup on that team. My only point is that I don't think that this team deserves to be in a situation where Rush is your back or your possible starter, based on what I've seen of him, and I don't believe the young kid is ready to play this next season either. I think you gotta do better by the fans and the players then just signing a scrub, like they've done in the past.

JMO

I agree they should sign better, but I doubt they will.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
He will be a New England Patriot before the weekend is over. This makes perfect sense for the Patriots and Dalton.

I would make a serious bet on this! People forget Dalton took the Bengals to the playoffs 6 straight years to start his career