Bengals Work Out Rod Smith

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Between this and Stephen Jones' comments, I think you can kiss him goodbye.

We need to improve on what he offered.

That said, I am not a fan of spending a top 100 choice to do it, like Jones appears to be suggesting.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Can’t we find somebody in the fifth round? Hate to spend pick 2 or 3 on a back up...

blueblood70

Reaction score

That said, I am not a fan of spending a top 100 choice to do it, like Jones appears to be suggesting.

didnt even know he was a FA LOL

I still say they should have cut Olalwlae, kept RS as a FB TB Hybrid and ST standout.. hes big enough for FB and frankly as little as we used the FB , RS would be better suited as FB/RB3/ST over Olawlae..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

4th round works for me. Either the draft or calling the Browns and offering a pick for Duke Johnson.

But I don't see how you can justify taking Elliott #4 overall and then investing one of your few top draft picks on his backup. It's almost as bad as when we used a first rounder on backup running back Felix Jones. (Thanks Garrett!)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
didnt even know he was a FA LOL

I still say they should have cut Olalwlae, kept RS as a FB TB Hybrid and ST standout.. hes big enough for FB and frankly as little as we used the FB , RS would be better suited as FB/RB3/ST over Olawlae..

They are planning to give Olawale more opportunities as a backup RB this year instead of just being the FB.

Jamize Olawale
6-1, 238, 4.53 forty

Rod Smith
6-1. 231, 4.69 forty

Mr_437

Reaction score
Can’t we find somebody in the fifth round? Hate to spend pick 2 or 3 on a back up...
If they draft a RB in the 2nd or 3rd that's (#21) holdout insurance imho, maybe not this year but... insurance none the less.

snapper

Reaction score
They are planning to give Olawale more opportunities as a backup RB this year instead of just being the FB.

Jamize Olawale
6-1, 238, 4.53 forty

Rod Smith
6-1. 231, 4.69 forty

I agree. They like Olawale. My only question is, why did Linehan not use him more often? I guess we all know why.

They will look at taking a RB in the 4th, but I don't see why they would not bring back Smith; he averaged a 4.2 in 2017. I believe the loss of Fredbeard and the addition of an untested, unpolished Williams affected the running game significantly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They can have him along with his 2.9 rushing average. Lost track of how many drives died when he entered the lineup. He’s the reason Zeke didn’t come off the field much. We need a back a lot more capable than Smith especially if Zeke goes down with an injury.

Alexander

Reaction score

Jamize Olawale
6-1, 238, 4.53 forty

Rod Smith
6-1. 231, 4.69 forty
He should be RB3 not RB2. I agree he should gather more touches, but he is not a runner in the purest sense of the word.

Alexander

Reaction score
4th round works for me. Either the draft or calling the Browns and offering a pick for Duke Johnson.

But I don't see how you can justify taking Elliott #4 overall and then investing one of your few top draft picks on his backup. It's almost as bad as when we used a first rounder on backup running back Felix Jones. (Thanks Garrett!)
The only other idea is draft a stud and make Elliott a one contract guy. I don't think that is smart. But I am sure the "you can get a back anywhere" crowd would feel otherwise.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope the Bengals sign Rod to a decent contract. Not sure how that will offset the comp picks for us. As I need to look who we signed and who we lost. We were about even give or take one though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only other idea is draft a stud and make Elliott a one contract guy. I don't think that is smart. But I am sure the "you can get a back anywhere" crowd would feel otherwise.

If that's what they decided to do, I would understand it. But if you're doing that, I'd think you'd do it next year, or look to get a veteran option as well (still surprised they haven't looked at TJ Yeldon) or you trade for a guy like Duke Johnson to be that 'bridge' until you draft your next franchise guy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Because the other guy wouldn't just backup Elliot, he'd play. We have a lot more offensive snaps than Elliot can carry himself. Getting another quality back helps us leverage all the investment in our oline and keeps Elliot fresh for when we really need him. Also could let us let Elliot walk. We're a running offense. We should have more than one credible running back.

Felix was a phenomenon who we crushed the football out of and tossed on the ash heap. The problem wasn't picking him, the problem was how we wasted him.