1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Best and Worst Trades in Cowboys History

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bobhaze, Jun 25, 2021.

1. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

12,308 Messages
    10,698 Likes Received
    Steve Walsh was adequate backup type ...at best. Giving up a 1st round pick per supplemental draft because Jimmie liked and trusted him as a team player - at Miami in college, just did not make sense and ended up being the worst move Jimmie ever made as a Cowboys member, imo.

Especially since Jimmie already had drafted Aikman as a No.1 overall pick in 1989. But giving up another 1st round on a QB, made it clear that early on, Jimmie did not trust Aikman as a leader and player.
    Of course as time went on, and other dynamics changed, Jimmie learned to trust Aikman
    - and the rest became history.

Walsh wasn't a first round talent. He never played like a first round talent- even when he departed from Cowboys.
    We could've still got an Erik Williams and Dixon Edwards - while also making mends on our 1st round pick- who knows what real reputable first round instead of the Walsh supplemental.

Bobhaze and cowboysfan99 like this.
  2. cowboysfan99

cowboysfan99 Well-Known Member

737 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received
    I despised it when it happened (due to the aforementioned Galloway and R. Williams trades), but it seems to have worked out so far.

cowboyec and JoeKing like this.
  3. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

8,647 Messages
    8,119 Likes Received
    What was great about that draft was that Tampa Bay selected Ricky Bell from USC with the first pick and we ended up with the better back.....

4. CowboysRule

CowboysRule Well-Known Member

1,682 Messages
    3,497 Likes Received
    I really don't think the Galloway was all that bad. Galloway was really good, he just didn't have anything to work with when he was here. Who did he have playing QB? Carter, Hutchinson, Leaf, Wright, Stoerner? Did I miss any? I think he was gone by the time we brought in Vinny. Did you really expect him to put up HOF numbers with that pile of QB-rejects throwing to him?

Cattle_Rancher likes this.
  5. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

33,950 Messages
    29,553 Likes Received
    To date, I agree. However, I suspect Amari's stock is about to crash with fans if he is a non-participant at training camp and starts the season on the PUP list.

6. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer

33,711 Messages
    33,798 Likes Received
    The Herschel Walker trade was the best ever trade in the NFL period. The Roy Williams trade may have been the worst.

Bobhaze likes this.
  7. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

8,647 Messages
    8,119 Likes Received
    Didn't the Craig Morton trade to the Giants net us Randy White and Hollywood in the 1st round in 1975?

plasticman and Bobhaze like this.
  8. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    12,689 Messages
    45,468 Likes Received
    Good stuff! Man those early days with Tex, Tom and Gil B were rocky on the trade front. That Eddie LeBaron trade was terrible.

Hagman likes this.
  9. Bobhaze

Bobhaze Moderator

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    12,689 Messages
    45,468 Likes Received
    Yes! The Cowboys traded Morton to the midgets in ‘74 for their first and second round picks in ‘75. That allowed the Cowboys to have the 2nd overall pick in the first round in 75 from the giants and also the 18th pick (their own) also in the first. Those two picks turned into Randy White and Hollywood Henderson. Hard to beat that. And that was all part of possibly the greatest draft in Cowboys history - the “Dirty Dozen”.

RoboQB, Diehardblues and mrmojo like this.
  10. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

48,356 Messages
    30,254 Likes Received
    Greatest move in Cowboys history was using our 10th pick in the 64 draft for Roger Staubach who no one knew if he’d play after serving his tour in the Navy.

Also , most fans don’t know the Cowboys also used 5th round pick on Herschel Walker in 1985 knowing he was going to the USFL New Jersey Generals. But our pick gave us rights to him if the league failed.

These two future picks set up both glory eras for the Cowboys. Thanks Tex !!!!!!!

11. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

19,357 Messages
    22,571 Likes Received
    I puked, I hated him as a player , my most despised cowboy of all time. The fact the hookem thing came with it riled me even more. Clown footed arse wipe he was, and he was no better as a person either. Dropped catches galore and didn't care. What a nob

12. Majic

Majic Well-Known Member

1,124 Messages
    1,312 Likes Received
    The Roy Williams trade was the worst for me. I was really angry at the time. Nobody gets everything right all the time but I knew that would not work out. With the Lions he was very hit or miss. At the point we traded for him, he had 1 TD and no 100 yd game that year

13. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

16,840 Messages
    13,988 Likes Received
    Yeah it's hard to blame them. Kinda like Brian Waters who they signed out of North Texas as a TE. He was waived and then goes on to be one of the top OGs in the league years later in Kansas City.

Bobhaze likes this.
  14. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

3,877 Messages
    2,579 Likes Received
    Wow, who the heck are Billy Parks and Toadie Smith and what were the Oilers thinking?!

15. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

27,448 Messages
    28,608 Likes Received
    You nailed the walker trade.
    Hard to argue the 2 wr trades being disasters

Bobhaze likes this.
  16. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

40,008 Messages
    10,372 Likes Received
    Nailed the worst. Galloway, not because he was bad but due to injuries. The other two players absolutely sucked. Watching Williams celebrate a routine first down was just embarrassing. Slow, non-physical WRs don't make it. Its a surprise he ever had any success in Detroit.

Bobhaze likes this.
  17. TexasBoys2288

TexasBoys2288 Well-Known Member

1,551 Messages
    2,161 Likes Received
    The Roy Williams trade was the worst. Williams sucked really bad, he must have changed his car's oil before every game.

Scotman, Bobhaze and Praxit like this.
  18. Insomniac

Insomniac Active Member

201 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Looking at it from the other side that had to be one of the most stupid trades in NFL history. SF had to dump Haley but they could have sent him anywhere. Why send him to a playoff team that needed a big time pass rusher to move up to the next level?

19. Praxit

Praxit Well-Known Member

8,301 Messages
    8,645 Likes Received
    ...Roy Williams was the strangest trade. I thought this guy was the Dallas Megatron, boy was I wrong. He disappeared faster then he could signal his Texas Horns.

20. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

6,968 Messages
    9,772 Likes Received
    Good call. No Haley and we lose to the 49ers in 92 and 93.