Best Guitar solo/song

pete026

Reaction score
It can be hard to find a solo of sufficient length so I opened this up to other options. This song is 12 minutes without a single lyric so even though it has some other instruments helping to give the song a rhythm and beat, it is basically a guitar solo. Then again, the Gibson Byrdland does sing here! If you struggle with accepting his politics/opinions but can get past them, it is worth a listen.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
It can be hard to find a solo of sufficient length so I opened this up to other options. This song is 12 minutes without a single lyric so even though it has some other instruments helping to give the song a rhythm and beat, it is basically a guitar solo. Then again, the Gibson Byrdland does sing here! If you struggle with accepting his politics/opinions but can get past them, it is worth a listen.

Wow, Ted with the volume swells at the beginning. The guy has always been a monster player and to this day has lost none of the playing ability he had 40-50 years ago. Got a couple here, first is a soundboard recording of Edward Van Halen's live solo in 1980, 2nd is La Villa Strangiato, which is a 10 minute instrumental by Rush which is nothing short of amazing.

pete026

Reaction score
Wow, Ted with the volume swells at the beginning. The guy has always been a monster player and to this day has lost none of the playing ability he had 40-50 years ago. Got a couple here, first is a soundboard recording of Edward Van Halen's live solo in 1980, 2nd is La Villa Strangiato, which is a 10 minute instrumental by Rush which is nothing short of amazing.

First, I always appreciated Eddie's guitar but Van Halen got so popular, so quick, I hesitated on spending time listening to them. Call it the rebel on me but I did this with more than a few groups and came to love some of them after the "shiny penny" faded. You have inspired me to give them a good listen.
As far as Rush, I grew up a drummer. First listen and all I could say is WOW! Who is this insane drummer. Have seen them in concert - again one of my tops! But all are so talented; Geddy, Alex, and Neil. Even if you don't like their sound which I happen to love; you have to appreciate their talents.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
First, I always appreciated Eddie's guitar but Van Halen got so popular, so quick, I hesitated on spending time listening to them. Call it the rebel on me but I did this with more than a few groups and came to love some of them after the "shiny penny" faded. You have inspired me to give them a good listen.
As far as Rush, I grew up a drummer. First listen and all I could say is WOW! Who is this insane drummer. Have seen them in concert - again one of my tops! But all are so talented; Geddy, Alex, and Neil. Even if you don't like their sound which I happen to love; you have to appreciate their talents.

Yep, saw VH about a dozen times starting in 1979, amazing live act and watching and listening to Ed play was a real treat. Those first 6 albums with Dave were great, not a fan of the stuff with Sam at all.
What can i say about Rush that hasn't been said before. Saw them several times starting with the Permanent Waves and ending with the R40 tour opening night in Tulsa. Amazing band live and in the studio, really wish i was a bit older so i could have seen the Hemispheres tour as i have heard it is among their best. They are easily in my top 3 of all time. And you are right, all three are talented beyond belief.
When you get a good block of time give this a listen, you can thank me later.

pete026

Reaction score

So I had heard the studio version of the song but never a live version. Always love a guitarist you can identify by their unique sound and Mark is in that category. Love the back and forth, playing off each other, between the vocals and guitar throughout. But if I'm not mistaken, the solo portion has a little Carlos Santana sound in it. That isn't a slight because Carlos Santana is one of my favorites? I'll listen again.

pete026

Reaction score
It's all debatable. I consider Jimmy Page 1A, Eric Clapton 1B. I think Jimmy did it better but Eric stayed at the top of his game for a longer period of time. Greatest solo ever, not sure.e
As I mentioned in a post on this thread, I had rebelled against some "over- popular" bands lol. But Led Zepplin was a little different story.

My friends were chasing this group of girls when we were like 10-11 years old.
Strike 1 for Led: They liked Stairway to Heaven. (for political correctness, I was probably 10 and it was the early 70s)
Strike 2 for Led: They played it at our 6th grade dance.
I was listening to Grand Funk, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Black Sabbath at the time. I figured they couldn't be good based on the above so I lost out on many years of enjoyment. But I caught up. This song will show another quirk in my musical taste. I love when they back up some rock n roll with an orchestra.

And Jimmy is crazy talented.

pete026

Reaction score

here's the cut from my favorite non-Elvis live album.

Another trio or quartet of guitarist that don't get the individual appreciation they deserve:

Allen Collins - original member with real talent but a life of tragedies, one after another.
Gary Rossington - talented original but one of the only surviving members. Whisky bottles, brand new cars, oak tree got in my way was his story.
Ed King/Stevie Gaines - Ed kept the group on track early on. Stevie replaced Ed and was an unbelievable talent on guitar. Lost in the plane accident along with his sister Cassie (backup vocalist). Huge lose along with Van Zant.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Another trio or quartet of guitarist that don't get the individual appreciation they deserve:

Allen Collins - original member with real talent but a life of tragedies, one after another.
Gary Rossington - talented original but one of the only surviving members. Whisky bottles, brand new cars, oak tree got in my way was his story.
Ed King/Stevie Gaines - Ed kept the group on track early on. Stevie replaced Ed and was an unbelievable talent on guitar. Lost in the plane accident along with his sister Cassie (backup vocalist). Huge lose along with Van Zant.
hard to believe these guys made all that sound.
incredible group.