Best HC since JJ and we don't appreciate him

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, but that's not saying much.

If you bar is "just be better than Jason Garrett, Wade Phillips, and Dave Campo" then your bar is way too low.

You should expect MUCH better than those guys.

Jason Garrett had rookie Dak and Zeke sitting at 5-1 through 6 weeks, but MM is some kind of genius for having Dak and Zeke in their primes at 5-1 through 6 weeks? Again, expect better.

Like what 7-1 after 6 weeks….:muttley:

:popcorn:

lqmac1

Reaction score
Ya’ll just going to act like Dave Campo never existed?

Im joking. He was god awful.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He was HOF in NY and NE.....not so much in Dallas

He didn't find his quarterback in Dallas until his final year. Try being HOF with Carter and washed-up versions of Testaverde and Bledsoe. If he had any fault during that time, it was not wanting to play Romo until he thought he was ready. ... Well, there were a couple of others, but like I said, that's the same with any coach. (Belichick is getting criticized by some Patriots fans for being too conservative.)

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't find his quarterback in Dallas until his final year. Try being HOF with Carter and washed-up versions of Testaverde and Bledsoe. If he had any fault during that time, it was not wanting to play Romo until he thought he was ready.
He shouldn't have quit it he found his QB.....he was just bleeding JJ for a payday....I truly believe that. He did not want to be here and quit when he got his cash.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He shouldn't have quit it he found his QB.....he was just bleeding JJ for a payday....I truly believe that. He did not want to be here and quit when he got his cash.

You apparently do. I think it's contrary to reality, but to each his own.

jnday

Reaction score
MM is the best HC we've had since JJ and that's including Parcels that was just collecting a paycheck......I don't get the hate! All coaches make bad calls from time to time. But he has our team ready to play every week. I appreciate MM and think he is doing a great job.
There is no way that you can hate Garrett and like MM. MM is even worse on time management than Garrett. Without Moore and Quinn , MM would be unemployed. I have to agree with the dozens of sports writers that thinks MM hurts the chances of making the Super Bowl more than he helps. MM was not close to being better than Parcells.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is no way that you can hate Garrett and like MM. MM is even worse on time management than Garrett. Without Moore and Quinn , MM would be unemployed. I have to agree with the dozens of sports writers that thinks MM hurts the chances of making the Super Bowl more than he helps. MM was not close to being better than Parcells.
He's better than the Parcells we got, not the one in NY....

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
As far as win losses records go Garrett was better than Parcells He won more games.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
Can't wait to bump this thread when MM makes another bone headed call that costs us in the playoffs.

You guys agreeing with the OP are blowing my mind. How can soo many people be so clueless about football?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score

I 100% agree.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I still think the fourth-down challenge against Carolina in the fourth quarter was done rather brilliantly. It was pretty clear that Elliott came up just short on third down, but we ran up to the line and tried to draw the Panthers offsides, then McCarthy threw the challenge flag and stopped the play clock with two seconds left. Essentially, we were going to burn a timeout anyway, so why not challenge? The only negative would have been if a couple of challenge-worthy plays happened after that.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I still think the fourth-down challenge against Carolina in the fourth quarter was done rather brilliantly. It was pretty clear that Elliott came up just short on third down, but we ran up to the line and tried to draw the Panthers offsides, then McCarthy threw the challenge flag and stopped the play clock with two seconds left. Essentially, we were going to burn a timeout anyway, so why not challenge? The only negative would have been if a couple of challenge-worthy plays happened after that.

Yep. He did handle that one pretty well. I remember this famous article that was going around about how Big Mike met with a bunch of ex-coaches in his house every week during his year off and they would go over game footage, but also were heavy on the analytics. I seem to recall McCarthy actually visited the company that is doing a lot of the NFL analytics. I think this is all new to him and to the fans. Someone posted the % of Go For It vs Kick on all his moves, and that's something we just don't have the benefit of. But he admits he doesn't always go with it, he makes decisions based on momentum and other factors too. We're still barely top ten in going for it on 4th downs. One could say that's because we do so well on 1st-3rd downs, but there are teams that are even more aggressive.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yep. He did handle that one pretty well. I remember this famous article that was going around about how Big Mike met with a bunch of ex-coaches in his house every week during his year off and they would go over game footage, but also were heavy on the analytics. I seem to recall McCarthy actually visited the company that is doing a lot of the NFL analytics. I think this is all new to him and to the fans. Someone posted the % of Go For It vs Kick on all his moves, and that's something we just don't have the benefit of. But he admits he doesn't always go with it, he makes decisions based on momentum and other factors too. We're still barely top ten in going for it on 4th downs. One could say that's because we do so well on 1st-3rd downs, but there are teams that are even more aggressive.

Also, since I've been rewatching the Panthers game, I still don't understand their coach pushing the extra player out there and drawing a 12 men penalty. Some seemed to think he did it on purpose, but if he did, that was dumber than anything McCarthy has been accused of. The penalty gave Dallas a fresh set of downs on third down, so even if he was trying to stop the clock, it was a terrible idea with his team trailing by eight. If he hadn't done that, then Dallas would have been stopped by the two-minute warning at worst if Carolina had made the third-down stop. I think he just made a mistake.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
Moore and Dak handle the offense , Quinn handles defense , Stephen Jones takes care of personnel. Meat Head Mike is just another in the long line of Jerry puppets. If we win it will be in spite of him. I am sure he will cost us games down the stretch.

J817

Reaction score
So Tuna was never our HC?

OP has already acknowledged MM is better than Tuna. MM has only been here for less than two seasons (that includes a lottery draft pick) but somehow he is better than a coach who led Quincy Carter’s Cowboys to a playoff game. Let’s not forget that MM has a team of pro bowlers at his disposal on offense. MM is not inheriting Dave Campo’s Cowboys. MM has himself a talented QB, OC, RBs and WRs. That’s even more than what Campo or even Chan Gailey had. MM hasn’t even made it to the playoffs, yet we are already crowning him the third greatest HC in Cowboy history. Interesting.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If you want to praise coordinators Moore & Quinn for the Cowboys’ 5-1 start, don’t forget about coach MM. He’s the one who pushed for not only hiring Quinn, but retaining Moore.

Again, every coach on this squad has credibility.

RonWashington

Reaction score
MM is the best HC we've had since JJ and that's including Parcels that was just collecting a paycheck......I don't get the hate! All coaches make bad calls from time to time. But he has our team ready to play every week. I appreciate MM and think he is doing a great job.

How was Paecells winning divisions bringing the Cowboys back from the landfill “ just collecting a paycheck “ ? Brought in the likes of Terrence Newman Brady James Jason Witten , Tony Romo a free agent no one drafts develops under those yrs.
Your in love with McCarthy and these head scratching decisions great but to throw Parcells under the bus is laughable .

Hadenough

Reaction score
I don't know what to think of him. I really wonder if this teams improvement is Moore in charge of the offense and Quinn in charge of the defense. This team automatically got better when Garrett was let go too. The draft last couple years has been pretty solid. I just have this feeling that McCarthy is along for the ride. He did bring in Noland which was just awful.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Nolan and McCarthy know each other and that’s not a good enough reason to hand him the defense. Quinn at least has the team playing aggressive attacking defense and concentrating on the defense in the draft was the right decision by McClay Quinn Jones etc. I think it was McCarthy who wanted RaShawn Slater the Chargers tackle round one . He would have been a good pick as well but obviously Parsons has been a steal .