Best HC since JJ and we don't appreciate him

DuncanIso

Reaction score
MM is the best HC we've had since JJ and that's including Parcels that was just collecting a paycheck......I don't get the hate! All coaches make bad calls from time to time. But he has our team ready to play every week. I appreciate MM and think he is doing a great job.

he gets in the way too much.

can’t get his timeouts in.

Calls 4th down plays on our side of the 40.

and hired his big buddy to run the defense last season.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Lol and what are your qualifications to assess MM’s “level of bumness”?
His horrible decision making going all the way back to his Green Bays days. The man just makes bad decisions, but was lucky enough to have prime Rodgers and now prime Dak to cover it up.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Can't wait to bump this thread when MM makes another bone headed call that costs us in the playoffs.

You guys agreeing with the OP are blowing my mind. How can soo many people be so clueless about football?
They will just do mental gymnastic to defend him regardless.

Some fans are only able to properly judge players and coaches AFTER they are no longer Cowboys. Because as long as they are part of the organization you have certain sects of the fan base that will defend then no matter what.

They cannot, under no circumstances, place their biases aside and judge them the same way they would a coach or player from another team.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I'm not impressed that McCarthy is 5-1 with a prime Zeke and Dak while a bum like Jason Garrett was 5-1 with a rookie Zeke and Dak.

We'd be 6-0 with 5 blow out wins with a good head coach.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Kellen Moore is our next Head Coach. Dude’s a wunderkind. McCarthy has several coaches under him that exceed him in coaching ability. McCarthy’s strongest ability is staff building. I say this in all earnestness. Great job, Mike!

Jipper

Reaction score
I think most appreciate him and the massive culture change he has brought.

I also think there are a lot of questions in terms of both clock management and risky play calls that, while some are supported by analytics. don't make a ton of sense...

Bottom line for many of us is the net sum is very positive...I'm ready to put him in front of everyone past JJ except parcels...but a good run and a playoff win would move him up.

Fair to criticize him for some of the time manament issues and questionable risky calls, but he has changed the culture...that's a big W

John813

Reaction score
McCarthy is a good coach. But I think Parcells was a good one too here.
Changed up the mindset of the players and even Jerry to a certain degree. But coaches like him have a shorter lifespan due to their hardass style IMO. He quit after the playoff loss, which in a sense I'm glad he did if he didn't think he had the capacity to go through another offseason/season grind. Just a shame/poor timing with Payton leaving before.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Okay, but that's not saying much.

If you bar is "just be better than Jason Garrett, Wade Phillips, and Dave Campo" then your bar is way too low.

You should expect MUCH better than those guys.

Jason Garrett had rookie Dak and Zeke sitting at 5-1 through 6 weeks, but MM is some kind of genius for having Dak and Zeke in their primes at 5-1 through 6 weeks? Again, expect better.

McCarthy has his team playing damn good ball, amazing after years of spinning our wheels to now see what is taking place and fans want the HC gone? amazing? Any other team who was winning as Cowboys are would see praise for the HC and his staff, but not here. Evidently winning is easy in your world however the NFL is not a easy place to win games

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
McCarthy has his team playing damn good ball, amazing after years of spinning our wheels to now see what is taking place and fans want the HC gone? amazing? Any other team who was winning as Cowboys are would see praise for the HC and his staff, but not here. Evidently winning is easy in your world however the NFL is not a easy place to win games
I'm not a McCarthy fan. I never wanted him to be the head coach. I believe he was carried by a prime Rodgers and now he's getting carried by a prime Prescott.

I said earlier that McCarthy is 5-1 with a prime Zeke and Dak, while a bum like Jason Garret was 5-1 with a rookie Zeke and Dak, but we're acting like McCarthy is this great coach. I don't buy it and I've never bought it. I believe he is better than Garrett, but that's not hard to do. so I'm not going all in on someone for just being better than the last bum.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm not a McCarthy fan. I never wanted him to be the head coach. I believe he was carried by a prime Rodgers and now he's getting carried by a prime Prescott.

I said earlier that McCarthy is 5-1 with a prime Zeke and Dak, while a bum like Jason Garret was 5-1 with a rookie Zeke and Dak, but we're acting like McCarthy is this great coach. I don't buy it and I've never bought it. I believe he is better than Garrett, but that's not hard to do. so I'm not going all in on someone for just being better than the last bum.

McCarthy is a HC whose team is getting it done, period. So Andy Reid means nothing since they have Mahomes? People want it both ways, we win well it is due to the players but you lose and that is on the HC? I will be honest and have said it from the get go, McCarthy would not have been on my list of coaches but I will give credit when credit is due.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Parcells didn’t just collect a check

the game simply passed him by

More like he picked the wrong QB. That botched snap killed him and he called it a day on the NFL. That 13-3 record under Wade and what we thought was a year far in the Playoffs could have just as easily been Parcells. I guarantee you this - with the crap he dealt with at the end of the game in Seattle, Parcells would not have had a team on snooze against the Giants and Romo would have performed.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
My point it that he knows more that me or you....
This is true. But he's not being judged by his knowledge compared to ours. He's being judged by his knowledge compared to others who have played the game and keen observers of the game.

And MANY of them are saying his clock management is HORRENDOUS and that they can't really see his influence other than the bone-head decisions he makes.

It's not like a Parcells who, even in his later years, takes a sub-talented team with Quincy Carter as quarterback to the playoffs. MM inherited Dak, Zeke, the offensive line, Amari Cooper, Schultz, Jarwin, etc. Dak was putting up these numbers before his injury. It's really difficult to determine if it's MM or Kellen Moore or just a mature Dak.

That's why there's so many questions surrounding him. But, yes, he does more than we do.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Where McCarthy is deficient in game management, he is worlds better than we have had in the following in >20 years. Paired with a front office that is actually competent in talent acquisition, that's great news:
  • Team Preparation
  • Game Planning
  • Strategy
  • Coordinator identification
  • Analytics
  • Aggressiveness
Yeah, I wish he was better at game management too. But with this roster and the above, this team can compete, which is what's important.

dacoming

Reaction score
MM is the best HC we've had since JJ and that's including Parcels that was just collecting a paycheck......I don't get the hate! All coaches make bad calls from time to time. But he has our team ready to play every week. I appreciate MM and think he is doing a great job.
There lies the problem that's preventing us from winning...poor coaching. They always hire the wrong one that nobody else wants

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There lies the problem that's preventing us from winning...poor coaching. They always hire the wrong one that nobody else wants
Ok....what makes you an expert? I'd really like to know, what qualifications you have to judge coaches...

jnday

Reaction score
He's better than the Parcells we got, not the one in NY....
The Parcells that was in Dallas had turned the team into winners, even if the talent was not that good. The team played tough, hard-nosed football for Parcells. After Jerry signed TO, Bill started losing interest and was looking to leave. The writing was on the wall and he decided that he didn’t need the headache.