Best offseason move has been Tyler Smith

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys have been one of the best drafting NFL teams in recent years. The second most important position on the offense behind the QB is the left tackle if you have a right handed QB, RT if you have a left handed QB. Unfortunately our HOF LT Tyron Smith has missed many games of late in his career. You can’t go anywhere without a great LT in this league. Credit goes to the FO for picking Tyler Smith. Many folks wanted the Cowboys to pick a more splash type player. Picking an offensive lineman is boring in their eyes. Yet picking Tyler Smith has been the best offseason acquisition of the year. There’s no way the Cowboys would be 7-3 without him.
Lots of great moves including who we kept and who we got rid of. The FO finally realizing pollard is the man has been huge as well. Even though that took 4 years.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Cowboys have been one of the best drafting NFL teams in recent years. The second most important position on the offense behind the QB is the left tackle if you have a right handed QB, RT if you have a left handed QB. Unfortunately our HOF LT Tyron Smith has missed many games of late in his career. You can’t go anywhere without a great LT in this league. Credit goes to the FO for picking Tyler Smith. Many folks wanted the Cowboys to pick a more splash type player. Picking an offensive lineman is boring in their eyes. Yet picking Tyler Smith has been the best offseason acquisition of the year. There’s no way the Cowboys would be 7-3 without him.

all i say is......"I second Rockport"

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like the thoughts of the OP.

I will say though that the Randy Gregory fiasco and subsequent chain of events with Sam Williams, Armstrong and Fowler is the best move. We maybe lucked in there but 3 for the price of 1 wins for me.

Scottish-----i think in our stupidity at the time we dodged a bullet not paying Gregory 70+ million considering 42 sacks in 10 games that = 71.4 in 17 games....most ever in a season 1984 Chicago Bears 72...i would

have thought it was 1985 season but they actually had more in 1984....yes we play one more game then they did...thye played 16 and got 72=4.5 sacks a game...we are at 4.2 sacks a game currently so no we dont

need Gregory....but can you imagine these young studs when its time to pay them?.....lets just keep drafting like Rock stars

Flamma

Reaction score

I'm one of them. Not a splash type player, but a different player. I thought that was a crap pick and said as much. I love the pick now. I just bought into the hype. I wouldn't trade him straight up for Evan Neal. And when did he go?

conner01

Reaction score
Yep, and a passable TE. I think Tolbert was always going to struggle first off, as it was said on one of the podcasts he was the big fish at the small college (stayed at a small college, despite overtures) and the step up to the biggest franchise in the sport must be a massive culture shock....especially as he hasn't yet got fry status.
The development will depend (as with Joseph) on his work ethic and ability to listen and learn.
Ferguson I think can be a very solid TE as he grows. TE’s tend to develop slow. Schultz took a couple years and really as a blocker he’s is just now getting it
We could have 2 young TE who could both be pretty sold players in time

Mr_437

Reaction score
Can't argue with that.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think the best offseason move was re-signing Dan Quinn.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Another "many people" disagreed with me because I'm smarter and a better fan, post. Happy Thanksgiving, Rocky.

give-yourself-a-pat-on-the-back.gif

Did he edit his comment? I don't see where he's acting like he's smarter or saying he called it before we drafted him. o_O

Hardline

Reaction score
Is the draft considered an off season move?

I was livid the Cowboys passed up on Jermaine Johnson, the pass rushing DE out of Florida St.
Well I have seen that Tyler was the right pick.
I don't watch Jets games so I can't compare the two players against each other to regret the choice.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The SF playoff loss was a wake up call and getting rid of Connor Williams & Collins was a definite positive . I am of the school of thought if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and would like Tyler Smith to stay right where he is at LT and have injury prone Tyron 77 as veteran depth along with Jason Peters.
You can’t sit the best LT in the NFL on the bench.

blueblood70

Reaction score
well, Most thought Tyler was a Project including the DC FO they figured they work him in slow at LG and eventually someday move him to LT.. fans didnt want a project in the first round, turned out Tyler surprised everyone. He was ready NOW.

all the moves cumulatively is how Off seasons go and that historically bad Offseason and depth graded by this fan base, blaming jerry for not putting together a team and predicted and awful season are getting egg faced.

should teach them lesson as i stated all offseason to wait and see how the team comes together on the field. you must play a season before deeming its bad.. so all those off-season moves are paying dividends.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've always been for drafting offensive lineman high. The dynasties of the 70s, 80s and 90s (Niners, Giants, 'Skins, Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders) were built on dominant lines.
Besides, in the brutal cold winter months of the playoffs, wide receivers and quarterbacks aren't doing anything without a strong offensive line.
Yep, championships are built from the trenches out.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This and the ridicilous "calling out haters" threads are making up most of his content these days.

As far as the OP goes, quite a few things have gone right for the FO, but I'll wait until the end of the season before a pat their backs. The one thing I have the most fun with is definately Maher. I was among his biggest critics, so I had to eat alot of crow this season. But I'm gladly doing that if he keeps playing the way he does. Man is it cool and relaxing to have a reliable kicker for once.

That whole "wut? you're taking away my kick? Then I'll do it again, kitten's play!" thing was awesome.

:flagwave:
Don’t be a hater and you won’t be called out. Simple.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Smith has been really, really good. The OL room needed a guy with attitude like that. He’s just so physical in everything he does, and he is a very smart kid. That physicality is infectious to the rest of the OL, and probably to the rest of the offense.

He’s fun to watch.

Tolbert has been disappointing. I expected more from him in year one. Maybe the light will come on for him next year, but for now he’s definitely the least productive pick in a really good draft.
Most rookies, especially WR’s, take awhile to figure things out.

conner01

Reaction score
It’s amazing that a fan knows more about a player in evaluating than the coaching staff.
I think he could be a better guard and I’d best some of the staff does too. But he’s more valuable at tackle
For the future he will be a tackle and so far he looks like he’s getting better and better
That doesn’t mean he couldn’t be better at guard just really hard to find a LT, so you keep him at tackle unless you get a better option
Finding a guard isn’t really hard, but tackle is

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Is the draft considered an off season move?

I was livid the Cowboys passed up on Jermaine Johnson, the pass rushing DE out of Florida St.
Well I have seen that Tyler was the right pick.
I don't watch Jets games so I can't compare the two players against each other to regret the choice.
The draft was held in the offseason. :facepalm:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Most rookies, especially WR’s, take awhile to figure things out.
I don’t disagree… especially WR’s, like you said. I’m certainly not giving up on him. I really liked him coming out of college, so we will see what he does next season.