CFZ Best Three-Headed Safety Monster

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
There are those touting Malik Hooker, Donovan Wilson and J Kearse as the best three-set of Cowboys safeties ever. I love their play and see how much better they are than Xaxier Woods and Jeff Heath, But, I believe it is way premature the call the KWK trio as the best in Boys' history.

I would go to the 1975-1979 trio of perennial All-Pros Charlie Waters at SS and Cliff Harris at FS, with 6'4" Randy Hughes as 3rd safety (although he started for injured Charlie Waters the entire 1979 season). At the end of the 1979 season Coach Landry said he was the best safety in the league at the end of the year.

Randy was one of the Dirty Dozen of 1975 and always seemed to have a nose for the ball and tremendous range to chase down passes. In the 1978 Super Bowl, he had 5 tackles, an interception and two fumbles recoveries.

Randy suffered a separated shoulder at the end of 1979 and it was never fixed right . From then on, he had a series of dislocations, 25 to 30 and could no longer play.

I loved Randy's play. He seemd to be always making plays and he had Charlie waters' level football smarts and instincts. He was going to be a star on his own as starter in 1980. It sounds like he had bad medical treatment and advice and/or they kept rushing him in to play when he was not not fully healed and had not strengthened the joint. Today, they can perform surgery to tighten the ligaments and muscles to prevent further dislocations.

Charlie Waters, 1979-1981 Cowboy, went to Clemson as a QB and later for his senior year started at WR, and was one of the most loved players in Cowboy history. He was like a coach on the field. He was a clutch performer. He had 41 career interceptions and holds the NFL record for most playoff interceptions with 9, including 3 in one playoff game, and has the unique achievement of blocking 4 punts total in 2 consecutive games. He also was team's holder for placekicks. In his 12 NFL seasons as a Cowboys defensive back, Waters reached the NFC Championship nine times, went to five Super Bowls and won two. He never experienced a losing season and missed the playoffs only once.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I loved that trio of Safeties, Waters, Harris, Hughs.

I like what we have now, by far the best, not only set of Safeties, but the entire set of DB's we had for a very long time.

Pass rush coming along, and get that run defense going. We could have an elite defense. Actually what is hurting more in the run defense is to the outside more so than up the middle.
Maybe OC's taking advantage of the aggressive rush from the outside. Hitting the edges. That will hurt against a very mobile QB such as Hurts.

I think Quinn will make adjustments though.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
LinearMarvelousAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

nathanlt

Reaction score
Just the idea that Dallas has a strength at the safety position... We haven't had strength there since Roy Williams play declined. I like Roy Williams, he was an enforcer at the safety position. For Dallas to upgrade that safety position, finally! It's so nice!

fivetwos

Reaction score
If we had this type of safety play years ago Garrett may still be here lol (not that I’m trying to defend him).

The pure neglect of the position really hurt those teams. The way Wilson is playing now was virtually non existent during that entire decade.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
There are those touting Malik Hooker, Donovan Wilson and J Kearse as the best three-set of Cowboys safeties ever. I love their play and see how much better they are than Xaxier Woods and Jeff Heath, But, I believe it is way premature the call the KWK trio as the best in Boys' history.

I would go to the 1975-1979 trio of perennial All-Pros Charlie Waters at SS and Cliff Harris at FS, with 6'4" Randy Hughes as 3rd safety (although he started for injured Charlie Waters the entire 1979 season). At the end of the 1979 season Coach Landry said he was the best safety in the league at the end of the year.

Randy was one of the Dirty Dozen of 1975 and always seemed to have a nose for the ball and tremendous range to chase down passes. In the 1978 Super Bowl, he had 5 tackles, an interception and two fumbles recoveries.

Randy suffered a separated shoulder at the end of 1979 and it was never fixed right . From then on, he had a series of dislocations, 25 to 30 and could no longer play.

I loved Randy's play. He seemd to be always making plays and he had Charlie waters' level football smarts and instincts. He was going to be a star on his own as starter in 1980. It sounds like he had bad medical treatment and advice and/or they kept rushing him in to play when he was not not fully healed and had not strengthened the joint. Today, they can perform surgery to tighten the ligaments and muscles to prevent further dislocations.

Charlie Waters, 1979-1981 Cowboy, went to Clemson as a QB and later for his senior year started at WR, and was one of the most loved players in Cowboy history. He was like a coach on the field. He was a clutch performer. He had 41 career interceptions and holds the NFL record for most playoff interceptions with 9, including 3 in one playoff game, and has the unique achievement of blocking 4 punts total in 2 consecutive games. He also was team's holder for placekicks. In his 12 NFL seasons as a Cowboys defensive back, Waters reached the NFC Championship nine times, went to five Super Bowls and won two. He never experienced a losing season and missed the playoffs only once.
Nice history review!

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
In his 12 NFL seasons as a Cowboys defensive back, Waters reached the NFC Championship nine times, went to five Super Bowls and won two. He never experienced a losing season and missed the playoffs only once.
Why does this depress me so much? How the mighty have fallen... :banghead:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

This back seven is strong because of those players, all three bring some game and are just now starting to get in a rhythm together.
Kearse just practiced in full and is no longer on the injury report.
Watch this group get really good really quick with Kearse getting introduced.
LVE will be seeing less snaps because of it.

JBond

Reaction score

Great history lesson for the young guns. I do like our guys today.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've said many times the Cowboys have three very good safeties. I've never said they're the best in Cowboys history. I'd have no idea how to compare different generations playing with different rules.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It would be difficult to top Darren Woodson and rookie Roy Williams even if I was the 3rd Safety...

Envision Darren Woodson and rookie Roy Williams on the 70s teams...

The NFL would have made a mid-season rules change because they would have been too dominant.

Darren Woodson was the size of many seventies Linebackers and ran faster than most seventies Cornerbacks.

Rookie Roy Williams was heavier than many seventies LBs but ran faster than most seventies Safeties.
- His 4.5 forty at the combine was faster then the average CB in the seventies.
- He was the hardest hitting player pound for pound that I've even seen.
- Roy could wind up like a spring and uncoil in just a couple of steps.
- The rules in the seventies allowed Charlie Waters to kamikaze himself full speed into WRs.
- At 193 pounds, Charlie did more damage to himself at times than to the opponents.
- With the rules from the seventies, Roy Williams probably would have ended up killing a WR at some point.