Best threesome at wide receiver in Dallas history

Manster68

Reaction score
Okay, time to go down memory lane:

1966 - Hayes, Clarke, Gent, Reeves, Perkins, & Norman put up 454 points in a 14 game season. They were known as "Speed Inc." On defense, Mel Renfro was a track star also. Only the legendary Packers stood in their way.

1968 - Hayes, Rentzel, Baynham, Gent, Perkins, and Norman put up 431 points in a 12-2 season. Meridith got injured and they could not get by Cleveland.

1971 - Hayes, Alworth, Ditka, Thomas, Garrison, and Hill scored 406 points en route to a Staubach led Super Bowl VI Chanpionship. The Doomsday Defense might have been even more impressive. Well, I think they were.

1977 - Pearson (Drew & Preston), Richards, Johnson, DuPree, Dorsett, Newhouse, Laidlaw and Saldi scored 345 point as Dallas had the #1 ranked offense and defense (yardage) in the league. The defense was absolutely stellar and the running game with Dorsett took some yards away from the passing game. The Super Bowl XII Champions was one of the greatest Cowboys teams ever.

1980-1983 - Pearson, Hill, Johnson, Dorsett, Springs, Newsome, Cosbie, and Saldi produced more points and yards than the Super Bowl XII team (1982 was strike-shortened though). Unfortunately, the defense wasn't as stellar and Danny White was the QB.

1992-1993 - The greatest two seasons in their history, Irvin, Harper, Martin, Novachek, Smith, and Johnston led Dallas to 31 wins and 7 losses regular and post season. Emmitt prevents this unit from being the best receiving unit. So what, I'll take it.

2007 - Witten, Owens, Crayton, Barber and Jones (Austin was a pup) brought the Cowboys to 455 points and a 13-3 record. Unfortunately, Owens and Crayton came up small in the post-season.

2014 - Bryant, Witten, Williams, Beasley, Escobar, and Murray put up 467 points and a 12-4 record. Dallas got screwed in Green Bay.

2016 - Bryant, Witten, Williams, Beasley, and Elliott scored 421 points and a 12-4 record and another tough loss to the Packers.

2019 - The most disappointing season in my 50 years being a Cowboys fan, Cooper, Gallup, Witten, Cobb, Elliott, and Pollard scored 434 points and the #1 offense in the NFL - all for a poor coached, ill-prepared 8-8 record.

In 2020, with the addition of Lamb (and the loss of Cobb), this Cowboys passing attack has a golden opportunity to surpass them all. I'm not talking about just yards and points. With this draft, new coaching staff, and all around talent and hunger, the 2020 Dallas Cowboys can surpass them all.

The key word of course, is "can."

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Im not betting against them and I hope they light up the league but before last year I believed we had the best LBs in the league till they underachieved couldn't tackle and proved a disappointment. So I am waiting to see their performance on the field before I say they are the best
There is nothing wrong with being a skeptic. I appreciate you at least seeing the potential and not shooting it down outright.

This thread has been a good exercise in reviewing the great history the Cowboys have with wide receivers and appreciating that and then understanding what we have right now could be the best that's ever been on any team.

The OL and the running game to complement the passing game is going to go a long way in determining how much of their potential our trio of WRs reach.

And don't forget, we will still have Jarwin out there in free space exploiting the opponent's secondary being too caught up in covering our WRs.

Dak is a smart guy and you know he already sees everything I've just described. There is no way he is missing out on being a part of that.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

1966 - Hayes, Clarke, Gent, Reeves, Perkins, & Norman put up 454 points in a 14 game season. They were known as "Speed Inc." On defense, Mel Renfro was a track star also. Only the legendary Packers stood in their way.

1968 - Hayes, Rentzel, Baynham, Gent, Perkins, and Norman put up 431 points in a 12-2 season. Meridith got injured and they could not get by Cleveland.

1971 - Hayes, Alworth, Ditka, Thomas, Garrison, and Hill scored 406 points en route to a Staubach led Super Bowl VI Chanpionship. The Doomsday Defense might have been even more impressive. Well, I think they were.

1977 - Pearson (Drew & Preston), Richards, Johnson, DuPree, Dorsett, Newhouse, Laidlaw and Saldi scored 345 point as Dallas had the #1 ranked offense and defense (yardage) in the league. The defense was absolutely stellar and the running game with Dorsett took some yards away from the passing game. The Super Bowl XII Champions was one of the greatest Cowboys teams ever.

1980-1983 - Pearson, Hill, Johnson, Dorsett, Springs, Newsome, Cosbie, and Saldi produced more points and yards than the Super Bowl XII team (1982 was strike-shortened though). Unfortunately, the defense wasn't as stellar and Danny White was the QB.

1992-1993 - The greatest two seasons in their history, Irvin, Harper, Martin, Novachek, Smith, and Johnston led Dallas to 31 wins and 7 losses regular and post season. Emmitt prevents this unit from being the best receiving unit. So what, I'll take it.

2007 - Witten, Owens, Crayton, Barber and Jones (Austin was a pup) brought the Cowboys to 455 points and a 13-3 record. Unfortunately, Owens and Crayton came up small in the post-season.

2014 - Bryant, Witten, Williams, Beasley, Escobar, and Murray put up 467 points and a 12-4 record. Dallas got screwed in Green Bay.

2016 - Bryant, Witten, Williams, Beasley, and Elliott scored 421 points and a 12-4 record and another tough loss to the Packers.

2019 - The most disappointing season in my 50 years being a Cowboys fan, Cooper, Gallup, Witten, Cobb, Elliott, and Pollard scored 434 points and the #1 offense in the NFL - all for a poor coached, ill-prepared 8-8 record.

In 2020, with the addition of Lamb (and the loss of Cobb), this Cowboys passing attack has a golden opportunity to surpass them all. I'm not talking about just yards and points. With this draft, new coaching staff, and all around talent and hunger, the 2020 Dallas Cowboys can surpass them all.

:hammer:You make a compelling case.

Manster68

Reaction score
this is how i rank best 3 WR set in Cowboys history:

1) Pearson, Hill, johnson

2) Owens, Glenn, Crayton

3) Irvin, Harper, k. martin

4) Bryant, Austin, Beasley

5) Cooper, Gallup, Cobb
1966 - Hayes, Clarke, & Reeves put up 454 points in a 14 game season. That is 32.4 points a game in a run dominant era. They were known as "Speed Inc." Only the legendary Packers stood in their way. Dan Reeves may be the most under-appreciated skill position player in Cowboys history. He was just as deadly as Beasley or Preston Pearson coming out of the backfield. Many young Cowboys fans don't realize how good this unit was for Meredith. Bob Hayes revolutionized the game.

On your list, I'd insert them in the #2 slot and move the rest down.

Blackrain

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with being a skeptic. I appreciate you at least seeing the potential and not shooting it down outright.

This thread has been a good exercise in reviewing the great history the Cowboys have with wide receivers and appreciating that and then understanding what we have right now could be the best that's ever been on any team.

The OL and the running game to complement the passing game is going to go a long way in determining how much of their potential our trio of WRs reach.

And don't forget, we will still have Jarwin out there in free space exploiting the opponent's secondary being too caught up in covering our WRs.

Dak is a smart guy and you know he already sees everything I've just described. There is no way he is missing out on being a part of that.

I agree with all you are saying , it truly looks like a cant fail slam dunk situation . This is the same way I looked at our LB core like it had to be the best in the league and I was never so disappointed .

That said we have a different coaching staff now . The previous staff did nothing to make anyone better and let our talent regress and rot on the vine . I am in hopes with this new staff that our young players will be guided to reach their potential instead of concentrating on peddling their Brand .

At this point just waiting in anxious anticipation of the start of this season to see how it plays out because as we have seen with numerous players of late, talent dose not always determine their outcome as a contributor on the field , injury and off field issues can affect their status as contributors .

Fortunately there dose not seem to be any glaring outside issues with our young receiving corps but I will feel better after we get through TC and nobody has smacked their girlfriend got a DUI or participated in a bar fight .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In the end if this group isn’t hanging banners at the end of a season they’ll never be held in the same esteem as receiving corps of the past.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bingo.

Don’t tell me about yards and rankings. It’s about rings.
Yea, they’re probably going to attract more fantasy fans.

Great, more fans cheering on individual stats and performances than team results.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Best threesome at widereceiver in Dallas history?? In my hand I got Joey Galloway. Terry Glenn and Antonio Bryant. Anybody want to say they have a better 3??? Now the three we have this season maybe one for the ages but as of now I think my hand would be hard to beat.
Good shot of it being our current line-up

Verdict

Reaction score
If Jerry brings Dez Bryant back, this group consisting of Cooper, Gallup, Lamb and Bryant would definitely be the best foursome in franchise history and arguably in NFL history.
Dez would drag the average down to below zero. Hard pass on Dez can’t run a route or keep his mouth shut Bryant.

links18

Reaction score
Owens, Glenn, Crayton wasn't half bad. Irvin, Harper, KMart still might be the best, but let's see.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
May not be the best 3 receivers of all time. Galloway, Glenn and Bryant. But they definitely were the fastest trio.

BackInTown

Reaction score

Agree with not including people who earlier or later were good... the question as I understand it is the best threesome that we fielded at the same time. I'd argue that we might have had (there are others in this list that could make a case...Irvin, Harper, Novachek may have my vote) the best threesome for one single regular season game, the season opener of 2007, which featured a really good Terry Glenn getting hurt (and never being really good again), playing alongside a still-prime TO and Patrick Crayton, who we later found to be a pretty decent #2 (thus would have been an excellent #3). If we are allowed to substitute other pass-catching positions as "receivers", then the G1 trio of TO/Glenn/+ prime Witten takes the cake. 2/3 were HOF material in their primes and the third was a very good #1-capable receiver when not injured. I still remember the commentator (Madden I think) gushing on Glenn's route-running, speed, hands, and how proud Parcells was of him not long before he went out forever.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best threesome at widereceiver in Dallas history?? In my hand I got Joey Galloway. Terry Glenn and Antonio Bryant. Anybody want to say they have a better 3??? Now the three we have this season maybe one for the ages but as of now I think my hand would be hard to beat.

LMAO

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It’s a toss up between Drew Pearson, Tony Hill and Butch Johnson in the 70s and Micheal Irvin, Alvin Harper and Kelvin Martin in the 90s. The third receiver didn’t get a lot of opportunity back in those days. Butch Johnson was starting until Tony Hill came along and Kelvin Martin was also a starter until Alvin Harper came along. The way the passing game is today a third receiver is pretty much a starter in a lot of offenses. You see all these multi WR sets that you never saw decades ago. Our third receivers back in the 70s and 90s could have started for other teams.

I expect the 3WR set to indeed be the starting offense in Dallas. Jarwin isn’t much of a blocker; I suspect they’ll instead run the ball by spreading defenses out - and if they don’t spread out, audible to a quick pass.

Lamb will be on the field for the first play of the season, certain of that.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
This is the best trio they've ever had.

Final answer ? Want to call a friend ? Armani always disappears when he crosses the Texas state line. Lamb has never played a game in the NFL. Gallup has been a good 2nd receiver. And they have maybe one playoff game between them ? You pick these guys against Pearson, Hill, and Johnson. And instead of Irvin, Harper, and KMart. We’ll see. Let’s hope.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In SB VI, the Cowboys lined up three HOFers in the receiving starting lineup. They didn’t play 3 wides in those days. So hard to beat this trio:
  • Bullet Bob Hayes
  • Lance Alworth
  • Mike Ditka (TE)
Three HOFers.
Second best was ROH member Drew Pearson, ToNy Hill, and Butch Johnson.
I like the guys we have now. I like several of the combos you guys listed here. But It’s hard to argue with 3 HOFers.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
6 pages and nary a mention of Stepfret Williams? Blasphemy.