Big Mac is essentially in Wade Phillips’ shoes

Majic

Reaction score
Listening to our 78 year old owner GM cry and drop F bombs the other day at his “State of the Cowboys” presser, I was struck by three things: 1. Jerry is old and is running out of time to play fantasy football GM and he knows it. 2. He isn’t really willing to “do anything to win another SB” or he would have already done it. 3. True or not- JJ believes he has enough talent to win the big one now.

Which leads me to this simple point- Mike McCarthy is not on a Jason Garrett-like long leash that gives him a decade to win something. In fact, IMO Big Mac is in a position very similar to the one Wade Phillips was in over a decade ago- Win now or else.

Here are some reasons I believe this:
  • Jerry hired Big Mac as a “win now” coach. Not a developmental project.
  • JJ prefers having a coach he can take some credit for developing into a winner- like Garrett was. (His current pet project and HC in waiting may be Kellen Moore)
  • Big Mac fits a very narrow expectation Jerry has for his HCs-
    • They must be able to tolerate his intrusions. (Most HCs wouldn’t)
    • They must NOT be seen as stronger or more in control than him.
  • If this team doesn’t at least win a couple of playoff games, I think Big Mac is in danger of a firing.
I hope Mike McCarthy is successful because I want the Cowboys to finally crawl from their qtr century of playoff irrelevance. He better win because I think he’s on the shortest of HC leashes. Another year of not making the playoffs or even a first round exit is probably an exit sign for the Mike McCarthy era.

The guy to watch here is Stephen Jones. not Jerry. If Stephen is not happy with MM he's gone. I also think Stephen has a lot less patience than Jerry

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jerry can easily talk himself into believing his current HC is right HC as well. Why? Because he hired the HC. I think McCarthy could lose a WC game and still be the HC next year, which then I believe he would be on a very short leash.

I think it would depend on how we lose. Let's say we make the playoffs as a 9-8 team or 10-7 and then we're blown out like we don't belong there. I think the Joneses would then be apt to move on from McCarthy.

Of course, there are multiple variables even then. How did we go 9-8/10-7? Were we bad early in the season and then closed with a run late? If that's the case, then the needle is pointing up and McCarthy would probably get another year. If we started strong, then faded, then were blown out in the playoffs, I believe McCarthy would be out the door.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Listening to our 78 year old owner GM cry and drop F bombs the other day at his “State of the Cowboys” presser, I was struck by three things: 1. Jerry is old and is running out of time to play fantasy football GM and he knows it. 2. He isn’t really willing to “do anything to win another SB” or he would have already done it. 3. True or not- JJ believes he has enough talent to win the big one now.

Which leads me to this simple point- Mike McCarthy is not on a Jason Garrett-like long leash that gives him a decade to win something. In fact, IMO Big Mac is in a position very similar to the one Wade Phillips was in over a decade ago- Win now or else.

• JJ prefers having a coach he can take some credit for developing into a winner- like Garrett was. (His current pet project and HC in waiting may be Kellen Moore)
  • If this team doesn’t at least win a couple of playoff games, I think Big Mac is in danger of a firing.
I hope Mike McCarthy is successful because I want the Cowboys to finally crawl from their qtr century of playoff irrelevance. He better win because I think he’s on the shortest of HC leashes. Another year of not making the playoffs or even a first round exit is probably an exit sign for the Mike McCarthy era.

Also, McCarthy has Boy Genius Coach that Jerry Made 2 waiting to be HC behind him. First round is probably not enough.

After winning a post Jimmy SB, Jerry's 2nd Choice for a legacy is leaving the Cowboys with a HC that Jerry Made. IMO, that's why he stuck with Garrett so long. In the next year or two, he's going to face losing Moore. If Jerry had to choose today, I bet he'd choose Moore. By the end of this season, he'll certainly choose Moore. He won't let him get away. Without a SB, Moore is his last chance to save a little face for 25 years of futility.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I can see your points, but I do not agree on your conclusion. My reasoning is based on Jerry's own track record. He does NOT fire coaches and pay them for years afterwards not to coach. Mike McCarthy managed to get himself a 5-year deal and he's now only in year two. If Jerry were to fire him, he'd be forced to pay him for the next three years. Even worse, he would be admitting to another huge mistake in coaching evaluation, to go with his last 10-year flop. I can't see his ego allowing him to do that. Worst case scenario, I see Big Mike getting at least three years in Dallas, at a minimum.

Without a SB, if it comes down to McCarthy or Moore, Jerry will pick Moore. Maybe Jerry can stall Moore's rise to HC another year with a pay increase and "Assistant HC" title. Maybe Moore won't get an opportunity for a team to his liking next year. But in 2023, he will. Without a SB, Big Mike is out in 2023. Could happen in 2022 too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without a SB, if it comes down to McCarthy or Moore, Jerry will pick Moore. Maybe Jerry can stall Moore's rise to HC another year with a pay increase and "Assistant HC" title. Maybe Moore won't get an opportunity for a team to his liking next year. But in 2023, he will. Without a SB, Big Mike is out in 2023. Could happen in 2022 too.

Nope.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Couple of things: The team quit on Wade. That is what led to his firing. And Big Mike took over a team in a much different and better place than Garrett did. The expectations of Big Mike should be to win now, he doesn't need 2-3 years to correct the roster.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couple of things: The team quit on Wade. That is what led to his firing. And Big Mike took over a team in a much different and better place than Garrett did. The expectations of Big Mike should be to win now, he doesn't need 2-3 years to correct the roster.

That talk about Garrett not having talent to work with is a false narrative. Not true.

Verdict

Reaction score

1. I think Jerry’s “meddling” at this point is over stated. If you mean Jerry talking to much, then I agree, that’s a distraction at times. But I think the team uses Jerry as mis-information as much as anything else at this point.

2. Jerry is not in win at all costs mode or he would be making trades and mortgaging the future.

3. I do agree that McCarthy is going to be judged by his team’s performance but I’m not sure it’s as dire as you make it seem.

4. McCarthy might be on as much of a hot seat as alternatives are available. If Lincoln Riley were to leave OU, the seat might get really, really hot regardless of how McCarthy’s team does (unless they win a SB).

Verdict

Reaction score
That talk about Garrett not having talent to work with is a false narrative. Not true.

Some Garrett coached teams had more talent than others. He had enough talent to win a SB. That’s on Garrett that he doesn’t have one.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I really don't look forward to Moore being the HC. But it is as inevitable for as long as this cycle continues.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some Garrett coached teams had more talent than others. He had enough talent to win a SB. That’s on Garrett that he doesn’t have one.

And I’m personally sick and tired of the stories about Garrett not having talent or having to ‘rebuild’. That’s a lie. Nobody outside of George Seifert had the table set for them better than Jason Garrett did.

And he still failed.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'll say this again.

MM was brought here to take Garrett's 8-8 squad to the next level.

Just because he managed to turn it into a 6 win team in year one will not make me do back flips if he wins nine this year.

This is division title and win a playoff game at a minimum or the hire is a failure.

Garrett could have given us 6 and 9 win seasons.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And I’m personally sick and tired of the stories about Garrett not having talent or having to ‘rebuild’. That’s a lie. Nobody outside of George Seifert had the table set for them better than Jason Garrett did.

And he still failed.
That "process" nonsense was a clear sham from go.

The team he took over won a playoff game ten months earlier.

He acted like he needed to rebuild the entire thing....and Jerry ate it up.

RS12

Reaction score
It is not about McCarthy. For arguments sake I will say he is average. AGAIN, who that is out there and any good, and not desperate is going to want to work for ownership that isn't committed to winning? Still haven't gotten an answer on this and don't expect to.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And his few remaining holdout defenders try to spread that false narrative to this day.

No dice.
:thumbdown:

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

Did I say he didn't have talent? He had a few pieces.. Romo, Ware, Witten, and a couple of others. the OL was Free (Decent to occasionally good), Nagy (puke), Costa (double puke) Kosier (steady but not overly good) and a rookie T. Smith.

So when You look at objectively; Last Year's Roster was VASTLY superior to the Roster in 2011 - outside of QB, 1 -TE and 1-DE (maybe 1- LB with LEE when not injured) and how you feel about Spears and Ratliff compared to our DL last year, every other position was better last year compared to 2011. Not saying they had no talent, just that the roster that Big Mike took over was much better shape than that of Garrett and he should be expected to win now.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

And he still failed.

So the team that played in 2011 was one of the best in the League? Really?

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

He took over a team that was 1-7, that's the reality. Why not say, he took over a team that won the sb 15 years earlier.. means about as much as 10 months ago statement.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did I say he didn't have talent? He had a few pieces.. Romo, Ware, Witten, and a couple of others. the OL was Free (Decent to occasionally good), Nagy (puke), Costa (double puke) Kosier (steady but not overly good) and a rookie T. Smith.

The actual team that Garrett inherited in 2010 was 11-5 the year before and had 9 Pro Bowlers.

So when You look at objectively; Last Year's Roster was VASTLY superior to the Roster in 2011 - outside of QB, 1 -TE and 1-DE (maybe 1- LB with LEE when not injured) and how you feel about Spears and Ratliff compared to our DL last year, every other position was better last year compared to 2011. Not saying they had no talent, just that the roster that Big Mike took over was much better shape than that of Garrett and he should be expected to win now.

What you’re trying is the opposite of “objective”.

No sale.