Big Mac is essentially in Wade Phillips’ shoes

erod

Reaction score
Another comparison is that Like Philips had his repplacement on his staff in Garrett. McCarthy is similar..he has Moore on his staff.
I think Moore is a really good offensive coordinator, but I don't see a pro head coach in him.

He'll get a shot one day somewhere though

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listening to our 78 year old owner GM cry and drop F bombs the other day at his “State of the Cowboys” presser, I was struck by three things: 1. Jerry is old and is running out of time to play fantasy football GM and he knows it. 2. He isn’t really willing to “do anything to win another SB” or he would have already done it. 3. True or not- JJ believes he has enough talent to win the big one now.

Which leads me to this simple point- Mike McCarthy is not on a Jason Garrett-like long leash that gives him a decade to win something. In fact, IMO Big Mac is in a position very similar to the one Wade Phillips was in over a decade ago- Win now or else.

Here are some reasons I believe this:
  • Jerry hired Big Mac as a “win now” coach. Not a developmental project.
  • JJ prefers having a coach he can take some credit for developing into a winner- like Garrett was. (His current pet project and HC in waiting may be Kellen Moore)
  • Big Mac fits a very narrow expectation Jerry has for his HCs-
    • They must be able to tolerate his intrusions. (Most HCs wouldn’t)
    • They must NOT be seen as stronger or more in control than him.
  • If this team doesn’t at least win a couple of playoff games, I think Big Mac is in danger of a firing.
I hope Mike McCarthy is successful because I want the Cowboys to finally crawl from their qtr century of playoff irrelevance. He better win because I think he’s on the shortest of HC leashes. Another year of not making the playoffs or even a first round exit is probably an exit sign for the Mike McCarthy era.
I really liked Wade, good man....his dad was also a good and humble man.....I hope Mac pans out, I believe he is a good coach.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
That’s an interesting take. I can see Big Mac being very concerned about the way he comes across on “Hard Knocks”. He’s not particularly charismatic or inspiring. Not that a coach has to be to win. But it’s does hurt your image a ton if you don’t win. McCarthy has always shied away from mics and cameras. Jerry on the other hand has never seen one he could resist.
If he had no issue lying to jerry to get millions he shouldnt have an issue lying to the cameras either. This is what he asked for. He didnt come to dallas expecting to be lowkey. He better act like the damn head coach

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really liked Wade, good man....his dad was also a good and humble man.....I hope Mac pans out, I believe he is a good coach.
My 92 year old father in law was a Sports Information Director and worked with Bum Phillips back when Bum was the HC at Texas Western (now UTEP) To this day, he speaks very highly of Bum and Wade. He knew Wade when he was a teenager.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My 92 year old father in law was a Sports Information Director and worked with Bum Phillips back when Bum was the HC at Texas Western (now UTEP) To this day, he speaks very highly of Bum and Wade. He knew Wade when he was a teenager.
That's awesome. Bum introduced me to Wade a year before Wade became head coach of the Cowboys. The following year, Wade took me, Saban, Tubberville, Mack Brown and our staffs out for a few hours and a few drinks. I'll never forget it. Great guys....all of them...Les Miles showed up and played pool with my guys....great memories

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's awesome. Bum introduced me to Wade a year before Wade became head coach of the Cowboys. The following year, Wade took me, Saban, Tubberville, Mack Brown and our staffs out for a few hours and a few drinks. I'll never forget it. Great guys....all of them...Les Miles showed up and played pool with my guys....great memories

Cool stuff. :thumbup:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
If he had no issue lying to jerry to get millions he shouldnt have an issue lying to the cameras either. This is what he asked for. He didnt come to dallas expecting to be lowkey. He better act like the damn head coach
McCarthy is a bunker personality working for the Jones.

erod

Reaction score
Wade wasn't exactly humble, bit he is a good man.

He can recite his coaching stats in great detail at the drop of a hat.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
You can just see the history bound to repeat itself coming from a mile away.
Reminds me of the scene from the movie 300, when the messenger says this is blasphemy and Leonidas kicks him into the pit. The fan base is the messenger and Jerry is kicking us all into the pit. Smh

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You are right about that, most coaches can. But, he treated this HS coach like a king. I appreciate that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
But is he ready for the NFL? He’s certainly been great at OU. Will be interesting to see how Urban Mayer does. He was certainly a very successful college coach. For every Jimmy Johnson there’s also been great college coaches like Chip Kelly, Steve Spurrier, Lou Holtz, and even Nick Saban, whose very successful act in college did not translate at the next level. We will see.
In fact, wasn't Jimmy Johnson the last head coach to win a SB coming straight from college?

I am not counting Barry Switzer, thank you very much.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I haven't coached in 5 years, I was interviewed a couple of weeks ago and I remembered every play that won me a championship.....middle school, JV or HS .....I remembered every play.....hard to let go.

Verdict

Reaction score
And I’m personally sick and tired of the stories about Garrett not having talent or having to ‘rebuild’. That’s a lie. Nobody outside of George Seifert had the table set for them better than Jason Garrett did.

And he still failed.
There is no doubt that Garrett squandered a couple of really good chances to get to the SB. The refs may have helped with that, but Garrett, definitely had the talent. He did also have a few years where the team's talent level was such that going to the SB was a long shot.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I disagree with the analogy. Big Mike is his own man. He is in a position to control his own destiny.