1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Big Run Tell by Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Jkyle, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Jkyle

Jkyle Well-Known Member

359 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    I've noticed that whenever the Cowboys motion a WR back toward the formation and have him stop outside or inside of the TE, it is always a run play.
    Every time I see that motion, I think to myself that they can't really be running it again. Teams have to have seen that tendency on film and prepare for it. It seems like the runs always go for short gains due to that knowledge.

jday, Alohawg1, visionary and 7 others like this.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

50,960 Messages
    47,279 Likes Received
    The whole offense is 1 big tendency.

They don't care. They coach with their ego instead of strategy.

3. SackMaster

SackMaster Well-Known Member

525 Messages
    1,074 Likes Received
    I never went back and verified for myself, but it sure seemed that anytime Noah Brown was in the game, the Cowboys ran the ball as well.

But hey, as long as the offense can "beat the man in front of them", who NEEDS scheme? Am I right?

jay94, RJ_MacReady, visionary and 5 others like this.
  4. TheHerd

TheHerd Well-Known Member

6,444 Messages
    7,446 Likes Received
    It's no mystery why our offense is so anemic. This scheme is infantile. Opposing players have famously pointed it out. Anyone on this forum probably knows the basic play 75% of the time based on down/distance and formation.

5. millennial_legend

millennial_legend Benched

1,416 Messages
    1,208 Likes Received
    only if you're running power run, but the cowboys run zone so it's easier for the defense to stop it when they see it coming

6. Runwildboys

Runwildboys Well-Known Member

24,078 Messages
    46,128 Likes Received
    I think Collinsworth even mentioned that about Brown.

visionary, Sepia, zerofill and 3 others like this.
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

10,198 Messages
    12,526 Likes Received
    It's called baiting the trap. Just wait, Redball's setting it up.

Proof, Mr_C, Jack Burton and 6 others like this.
  8. AmericanCowboy

AmericanCowboy Well-Known Member

3,127 Messages
    4,588 Likes Received
    It’s either that or the weak rollout.

Also if we pass on first down and it’s incomplete second down will be a run up the mide.

TheHerd, beware_d-ware and cwbysone like this.
  9. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

13,176 Messages
    11,237 Likes Received
    Anyone want to explain how bringing a WR into the box, along with his defender, is possibly to our advantage if we're running into the box?

I've always considered just lining up the WR wide a better block. Takes the defender out of the play, and thins out the herd in the box.

CapnCook, RJ_MacReady, Jarv and 8 others like this.
  10. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

15,400 Messages
    13,856 Likes Received
    My run tell:

1st and 10

11. Bleedblue1111

Bleedblue1111 Well-Known Member

1,553 Messages
    2,677 Likes Received
    The most mind boggling play I remember from the Philly game was the first series of the 3rd quarter when Dak bootlegged, and was blown up by an unblocked Martelous Bennett. Was that a missed assignment, or a flawed scheme?
    :huh:

mahoneybill likes this.
  12. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    9,724 Likes Received
    The "Noah Brown in motion" might turn into the 2018 version of the Lucky Whitehead jet sweep.

Luckily, the offensive line played so well at Philly it didn't matter that the Cowboys telegraphed their plays. The 1990's Cowboys ran the same plays over and over too, but the big difference is they were wise enough to disguise it with different formations.

beware_d-ware likes this.
  13. CT Dal Fan

5,564 Messages
    9,724 Likes Received
    It was a "naked" bootleg that the Cowboys thought Bennett would bite on. Poor time to call it. Dak faked to Zeke, and Bennett was left unblocked since they assumed he would go after Elliott. Bennett clearly knew what was coming and didn't take the bait.

Had he done so, I think Dak was going to throw to Noah Brown. I have to go back and watch the game again to see if that would've had a chance.

Bleedblue1111 likes this.
  14. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

9,806 Messages
    15,845 Likes Received
    That's just part of the design, the DE is supposed to bite on the PA fake. The problem becomes, when you run that play too often and/or don't run enough other plays from that formation with the same personnel.

Bleedblue1111 and CT Dal Fan like this.
  15. fansince68

fansince68 Well-Known Member

1,869 Messages
    1,442 Likes Received
    Noah Brown on the field indicates obvious run as well. First down usually means Zeke between the tackles 80% of the time.

:facepalm:

beware_d-ware likes this.
  16. Blake

Blake Well-Known Member

4,022 Messages
    6,143 Likes Received
    Don't forget 3rd and 15.

17. Bleedblue1111

Bleedblue1111 Well-Known Member

1,553 Messages
    2,677 Likes Received
    Wow. So if the DE doesn't bite, they're putting the QB in a very serious situation. Based on what happened, I hope they scrap that play.

Blackrain and CT Dal Fan like this.
  18. CT Dal Fan

5,564 Messages
    9,724 Likes Received
    The only positive result would be if Dak really did hand off to Zeke. Then they probably get a 15 yard roughing call on Bennett.

Blackrain and Bleedblue1111 like this.
  19. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

13,805 Messages
    7,280 Likes Received
    use it til they beat you, until than feed Zeke and let him run over them.

20. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

41,027 Messages
    60,253 Likes Received
    That roll out needs to freaking die