Big Run Tell by Cowboys

Jkyle

Reaction score
I've noticed that whenever the Cowboys motion a WR back toward the formation and have him stop outside or inside of the TE, it is always a run play.
Every time I see that motion, I think to myself that they can't really be running it again. Teams have to have seen that tendency on film and prepare for it. It seems like the runs always go for short gains due to that knowledge.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've noticed that whenever the Cowboys motion a WR back toward the formation and have him stop outside or inside of the TE, it is always a run play.
Every time I see that motion, I think to myself that they can't really be running it again. Teams have to have seen that tenancy on film and prepare for it. It seems like the runs always go for short gains due to that knowledge.

The whole offense is 1 big tendency.

They don't care. They coach with their ego instead of strategy.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I never went back and verified for myself, but it sure seemed that anytime Noah Brown was in the game, the Cowboys ran the ball as well.

But hey, as long as the offense can "beat the man in front of them", who NEEDS scheme? Am I right?

TheHerd

Reaction score
Every time I see that motion, I think to myself that they can't really be running it again. Teams have to have seen that tendency on film and prepare for it. It seems like the runs always go for short gains due to that knowledge.

It's no mystery why our offense is so anemic. This scheme is infantile. Opposing players have famously pointed it out. Anyone on this forum probably knows the basic play 75% of the time based on down/distance and formation.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I never went back and verified for myself, but it sure seemed that anytime Noah Brown was in the game, the Cowboys ran the ball as well.

But hey, as long as the offense can "beat the man in front of them", who NEEDS scheme? Am I right?
only if you're running power run, but the cowboys run zone so it's easier for the defense to stop it when they see it coming

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Anyone want to explain how bringing a WR into the box, along with his defender, is possibly to our advantage if we're running into the box?

I've always considered just lining up the WR wide a better block. Takes the defender out of the play, and thins out the herd in the box.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
The most mind boggling play I remember from the Philly game was the first series of the 3rd quarter when Dak bootlegged, and was blown up by an unblocked Martelous Bennett. Was that a missed assignment, or a flawed scheme?
:huh:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The "Noah Brown in motion" might turn into the 2018 version of the Lucky Whitehead jet sweep.

Luckily, the offensive line played so well at Philly it didn't matter that the Cowboys telegraphed their plays. The 1990's Cowboys ran the same plays over and over too, but the big difference is they were wise enough to disguise it with different formations.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The most mind boggling play I remember from the Philly game was the first series of the 3rd quarter when Dak bootlegged, and was blown up by an unblocked Martelous Bennett. Was that a missed assignment, or a flawed scheme?

It was a "naked" bootleg that the Cowboys thought Bennett would bite on. Poor time to call it. Dak faked to Zeke, and Bennett was left unblocked since they assumed he would go after Elliott. Bennett clearly knew what was coming and didn't take the bait.

Had he done so, I think Dak was going to throw to Noah Brown. I have to go back and watch the game again to see if that would've had a chance.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That's just part of the design, the DE is supposed to bite on the PA fake. The problem becomes, when you run that play too often and/or don't run enough other plays from that formation with the same personnel.

fansince68

Reaction score
Noah Brown on the field indicates obvious run as well. First down usually means Zeke between the tackles 80% of the time.

:facepalm:

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
It was a "naked" bootleg that the Cowboys thought Bennett would bite on. Poor time to call it. Dak faked to Zeke, and Bennett was left unblocked since they assumed he would go after Elliott. Bennett clearly knew what was coming and didn't take the bait.

Had he done so, I think Dak was going to throw to Noah Brown. I have to go back and watch the game again to see if that would've had a chance.
Wow. So if the DE doesn't bite, they're putting the QB in a very serious situation. Based on what happened, I hope they scrap that play.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
use it til they beat you, until than feed Zeke and let him run over them.