Big Splash Scenario: 2023 Dallas Cowboys Draft

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Call me crazy. I've been called crazier things before.

Firstly, I'm going to start by saying I think it's quite possible the Cowboys will struggle with this draft, because it doesn't contain an abundant amount players that fit Dallas' prototypical formula for drafting.

Therefore, I think they could be throwing darts at players with potential to start in a lot of rounds to fill needs and depth and playing the long-game as far as developing in-house talent.

OR

What if they think there's a QB in this draft that you can't miss on?

What if they see CJ Stroud or Will Levis as the next Mahomes?

Would you give away your whole draft to be able to take him?

As far as roster, I think the team could get by with its current list of players. In fact, I think we can beat the Eagles next year with the guys we have on our roster right now.

There are players I like this year, like Flowers, Robinson, Gibbs, Kincaid and Quinten Johnston, who will make our offense nearly unstoppable if he falls to the Cowboys. I would even throw my pet cat Zack Kuntz in there.

But really, you're only getting one starter, possible game-changer this year.

What if the strategy right now is to build the team to be competitive, then go get your QB of the future at the top of this draft? We've seen the Cowboys do crazier things in the past. I think one of the reasons they're making so many moves in this draft is because they're less sure about the overall talent of the class, which means they may see the draft as sort of a luck-of-the-draw contest.

Maybe they think a lessor gamble would be to go get a guy they like at the top of the draft right now, because you could do that, ride the team you have assembled this year through next year, probably land in the playoffs, and then turn around and do it with your QB-of-the-future in the 24', 25' season.

OR

We stick with the plan on Prescott and ride our mistake into the sunset.

I don't know. I've read some media members talking about how it's not over yet for Dallas, which leads me to believe that there could possibly be some kind of big trade coming up that involves the Cowboys as far as the draft.

A team eyeing one of these top-round QBs could end up being better off trading down and just taking a guy like Hooker and then using the extra picks to build the team around him.

Then again, if you think the guy is the next Patrick Mahomes, maybe you go get him, right, even if you have to trade away your entire draft? That, to me, would be what a real wildcatter would do nowadays.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
1. The Cowboys are still all in with Dak.

2. It's very very unlikely they give up the draft capital needed to go from 26 into the top 5.
I get it. For the record, I'm not saying that they will do this, or that I want them too. Just that it seems to be a possibility at the end of the day, because you can take the wild out of the catter, but you can't, well, der, you get what I'm saying....
I just think it's possible they look at this draft and figure out it's overall strength isn't what they're looking for as far as strengthening their team, especially if they actually think one of those guys in the top 5 is the next Mahomes.

To me, Dak is around 10, as far as QBs go. But whatever they do, the Cowboys would like to draft their QB and develop them for a year or two before they start.

So I'm not talking about drafting someone to replace Dak right now, this year, anyway...

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
There are plenty of players that the team will love in this draft. The corners alone have about 1000 guys that fit their prototype.

Guys like Avila and Schmitz are pretty much exactly what they want at interior OL.

I don’t see them having any issues finding guys they want on the team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Call me crazy. I've been called crazier things before.

Firstly, I'm going to start by saying I think it's quite possible the Cowboys will struggle with this draft, because it doesn't contain an abundant amount players that fit Dallas' prototypical formula for drafting.

Therefore, I think they could be throwing darts at players with potential to start in a lot of rounds to fill needs and depth and playing the long-game as far as developing in-house talent.

OR

What if they think there's a QB in this draft that you can't miss on?

What if they see CJ Stroud or Will Levis as the next Mahomes?

Would you give away your whole draft to be able to take him?

As far as roster, I think the team could get by with its current list of players. In fact, I think we can beat the Eagles next year with the guys we have on our roster right now.

There are players I like this year, like Flowers, Robinson, Gibbs, Kincaid and Quinten Johnston, who will make our offense nearly unstoppable if he falls to the Cowboys. I would even throw my pet cat Zack Kuntz in there.

But really, you're only getting one starter, possible game-changer this year.

What if the strategy right now is to build the team to be competitive, then go get your QB of the future at the top of this draft? We've seen the Cowboys do crazier things in the past. I think one of the reasons they're making so many moves in this draft is because they're less sure about the overall talent of the class, which means they may see the draft as sort of a luck-of-the-draw contest.

Maybe they think a lessor gamble would be to go get a guy they like at the top of the draft right now, because you could do that, ride the team you have assembled this year through next year, probably land in the playoffs, and then turn around and do it with your QB-of-the-future in the 24', 25' season.

OR

We stick with the plan on Prescott and ride our mistake into the sunset.

I don't know. I've read some media members talking about how it's not over yet for Dallas, which leads me to believe that there could possibly be some kind of big trade coming up that involves the Cowboys as far as the draft.

A team eyeing one of these top-round QBs could end up being better off trading down and just taking a guy like Hooker and then using the extra picks to build the team around him.

Then again, if you think the guy is the next Patrick Mahomes, maybe you go get him, right, even if you have to trade away your entire draft? That, to me, would be what a real wildcatter would do nowadays.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
I could see them falling so in love with Bijan, they move up to get him. I really hope not.

Bigdog

Reaction score
There are plenty of players that the team will love in this draft. The corners alone have about 1000 guys that fit their prototype.

Guys like Avila and Schmitz are pretty much exactly what they want at interior OL.

I don’t see them having any issues finding guys they want on the team.
Who would you go if you had a choice between Avila or Schmitz?