Biggest Cowboy you whiffed on

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Herschel Walker - @ the time, I was a big Georgia fan so I watched every college game he played in. I had no one to compare him to because I thought that he was the best running back to ever play the game. Yes, I was a kid and you know how kids are when it comes to their favorite players. Even though he was selected in the 5th round, after one year in the USFL, I acted as if he was the first pick of the draft. Sad to think that his greatest achievement in a Cowboy uniform was when he took it off to put on a Vikings jersey. :lmao:

GettyImages-246706.0.jpg
He was like the 1st in pick in USFL and played 3 seasons with New Jersey Generals. No doubt the biggest name to bolt to new league.

Cowboys used. 5th round pick on him assuming the USFL wouldn’t last. Similar to how they used a 10th round pick on Staubach hoping he’d return after serving in Navy.

But Herschel was anything but a disappointment. He led the NFL in rushing in 1988 on a 3-13 Cowboys team.

Herschel has over 18,000 total yards in NFL alone which should land him in HOF some day.

His combined rushing yards in both leagues ( over 13,000) would place him 5th all time and combined yards ( over 25,000) place him 1st all time.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Julius Jones. As A ND fan I thought he was going to be really good. Then those 8 games at the end of 2004 I was sure. What happened to him is a great mystery. All I can think of is that he over muscled and lost his edge in balance and quickness.
That sadly was Parcells who didn’t like Julius juking behind the line. He told him to just run to the assigned hole. Killed his instincts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The question wasn’t who the Cowboys whiffed on but who you whiffed on. I thought Ellis would have a lot more sacks so I consider that a whiff.
And that’s the worse whiff you can come up with? Our best defensive player on that defense. Ok

phildadon86

Reaction score
Felix and Jenkins got hurt by bad coaching. Felix's initial production was incredible and you had a guy that could be a real matchup problem out of the backfield, who could run the ball effectively and was at times an excellent kickoff returner. But Garrett simply didn't know how to use him. Had he been playing for somebody like Andy Reid or Belichick, he may have had a helluva career.

The USF coaching staff told Wade specifically that Jenkins was a good kid, but you have to stay on him because he'll rest on his laurels too easy. His rookie year he did that and he stunk. Then his second year Wade turned things around and Jenkins had a Pro Bowl type year. But then Wade went back to his old ways and so did Jenkins. He got hurt afterward due to lack of strength in his shoulders and traps...something that should have been developed in his rookie year and that's how he crapped out.

I really don't blame it on Felix and Jenkins as much as I blame it on lousy coaching. You have to get these guys early. If you don't, you may lose a talented player forever.

YR
I agree 100 percent on all of this. I thought Felix was going to be a star after that first year. It seemed like every time that kid touched the ball it was a big play.

diefree666

Reaction score
The question wasn’t who the Cowboys whiffed on but who you whiffed on. I thought Ellis would have a lot more sacks so I consider that a whiff.

Ellis was never the same after his injury; I think it robbed him of some quickness that might have made a big difference over his career.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought Escobar would be a stud. A little early in the 2nd round, but i really thought he'd help us.

Carson

Reaction score
I’ll add two more

Travis Frederick and Zach Martin.

I thought we could use their picks to get skill players and speed.

Multiple pro bowls and all pros later, I’m happy to be wrong.

Carson

Reaction score
I thought Escobar would be a stud. A little early in the 2nd round, but i really thought he'd help us.

Good one. I remember having the “two tight end formations like the patriots” and think we would be unstoppable

phildadon86

Reaction score
Biggest whiff that I think I made was thinking Marion Barber was anything more than a backup RB. Man that one sucked